Anyone experiencing invisible planets in SC until you get very close to it?

Looks like there are now eight unique confirmations on the report - hopefully a few more players will notice the pop-in planets and pop on their additions šŸ‘

I can confirm the issue. A moon I was going to only appeared when I was close to it. I took a screenshot right at the moment she appears (tried to catch it when it was not visible) :
20220320163635_1.jpg

I think there is an issue with the "star" looking of planets. Some of them at least. They just appear when their swap to their model.

More datas. I had an invisible planet, and it showed up at roughly 0.7ls. I was able to take pictures this time :
20220320190026_1.jpg

20220320190036_1.jpg

She is NOT in the dark side, as should be obvious with the zoomed view but still, this is what she look like when she appears :
20220320190217_1.jpg

Wrong question: the correct one is "What can you see in Odyssey until U10 that you can't in Odyssey in U11? Distant bodies and stations have always been rendered as a dot of light "placeholder" right until the actual rendering of the asset kicked in, U11 seems to be missing that, so planets appear to pop into existence a few ls away. Even if that had been related to a visual option (it's not, always been like that from low to ultra, since 2014), considering I haven't changed mine between U10 and U11 it's definitely some kind of "optimization" or issue on their end. One thing's for sure, it doesn't look good at all. Worth a shot for the tracker.

yep, this.

Noticed this too.

In Odyssey, post U11, the dot of light is missing for distant bodies where distant is something bigger than several ls

I confirm I am having this issue, too, I have been observing it for a few trips now.

What happens is that I see a distant cluster of objects (typically a gas giants with all its satellites) and as I get closer, as some point they suddenly vanish, and the single bodies reappear when I am only a few ls away from them.

What's more, I have tried to approach them not following a straight line: that is, I targeted one of the satellites and headed towards the bright cluster (with orbit lines on). At some point I deviated in a random direction, and when I pointed towards my target again , the bright cluster was no longer aligned with the reticle (or the orbit lines). Initially, I thought it could have just been a star cluster coincidentally aligned with my target, but as I got closer, it suddenly disappeared (tried twice, and it happened both times).

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I might try to add pictures at some point.

TLDR: yes, contributing to the issue on the tracker

Let the popularity contest begin to see if it will get fixed !

Not going to lie, it's the only game I know where reporting bugs turn into some kind of weird arena, where bug report fight to see which one is more worthy of a fix.
b1248f6a2acb4824f78475ce9d38fdde.jpg

Last edited:
I have been experimenting, and there's a gap rather than just a vanishing, it's a vanishing and re-appearing more like it, strange. Here's my screenshots, you can see what I mean.

Here's the planet over 3kls away, you can clearly see the dot just as it used to appear;

4OTNXsa.jpg

Here it is under 3kls away, you can see the dot has vanished, I have tested this with a number of bodies and it is repeatable. The thing is of course if you are in a small solar system you may see nothing at all because everything is already within the vanishing distance, but in a large system you can clearly see the dots and they vanish as you get closer;

Mm3Fg93.jpg

I have turned checkerboard rendering off and upscaling is set to normal so no interference from AMD/CAS or AMD FSR, I have also turned orbit lines off to make it as clear as possible. Speed in SC has no effect, and you can still clearly see the dots of other bodies much further away, so it seems to be a distance related thing, get within a certain distance and they vanish.

I have been experimenting, and there's a gap rather than just a vanishing, it's a vanishing and re-appearing more like it, strange. Here's my screenshots, you can see what I mean.

Here's the planet over 3kls away, you can clearly see the dot just as it used to appear;

4OTNXsa.jpg

Here it is under 3kls away, you can see the dot has vanished, I have tested this with a number of bodies and it is repeatable. The thing is of course if you are in a small solar system you may see nothing at all because everything is already within the vanishing distance, but in a large system you can clearly see the dots and they vanish as you get closer;

Mm3Fg93.jpg

I have turned checkerboard rendering off and upscaling is set to normal so no interference from AMD/CAS or AMD FSR, I have also turned orbit lines off to make it as clear as possible. Speed in SC has no effect, and you can still clearly see the dots of other bodies much further away, so it seems to be a distance related thing, get within a certain distance and they vanish.
Yes, that's the thing I've been trying to report here.
But later (after @MacIntoc pointed it out) I realized that in some rare cases the planets actually teleport (here at 0:08):

Which is even more obscure. I guess both issues are connected somehow.

Nice job, everyone who took the time to confirm šŸ‘

If anyone wants to vote for this issue but has already reached their six-vote limit, going onto Issue Tracker/My Issues/Voted and clicking an already-voted-for issue will free up a vote.

Iā€™d say this is worth doing if you have voted for any long standing issue thatā€™s unlikely to get fixed any time soon (quite a few in the Top 20 fall into this category) - or if you think this is a higher priority for your vote. Seeing as this is a bug that Iā€™m experiencing every play session without fail, Iā€™ve temporarily transferred a vote from another issue to it.

Top Bottom