Anyone experiencing invisible planets in SC until you get very close to it?

Just for another data point: I play on maxed graphics with supersampling at 1.5x, checkerboard and FSR etc. all turned off. Small planets and moons are invisible for me and suddenly pop in at around 3ls away.

In my case, I've noticed that, when I'm supercruising to a planet, a dot (maybe too bright) is visible first but suddenly disappears. Then it pops up again.

Last edited:
In my case, I've noticed that, when I'm supercruising to a planet, a dot (maybe too bright) is visible first but suddenly disappears. Then it pops up again.

I showed that in my screenshots, the distance it vanishes is different for different sized bodies. There is a bug report for this so suggest adding to it to increase its visibility.

There's something generally wrong with so many things in SC and it all feels like there's an underlying corruption somewhere that FD can't find - or it's intentional as a sacrifice to the Frame Rate god.

Approach to planets and stations just feels different from what it used to be. alignment of the docking bay in SC is clearly off 90 degrees and you can easily observe the rotation pop when you drop out in front of the station.

Docking computer approach is skewed at about a 10 degree list to starboard as you approach the toaster rack.

And then there's the thruster calibration of the DC evident in a Cutter landing on the FC.

It's like everything is 10 - 90 degrees out of phase...

Try manual scooping a material in Python - nearly impossible.

It's the old bugs plus new bugs whack-a-mole game

It has changed the general "feel" of the whole ED experience. Still playable - but it's different and feels wrong

Would love to have it working like it used to - especially the orbital approach.

There's something generally wrong with so many things in SC and it all feels like there's an underlying corruption somewhere that FD can't find - or it's intentional as a sacrifice to the Frame Rate god.

Approach to planets and stations just feels different from what it used to be. alignment of the docking bay in SC is clearly off 90 degrees and you can easily observe the rotation pop when you drop out in front of the station.

Docking computer approach is skewed at about a 10 degree list to starboard as you approach the toaster rack.

And then there's the thruster calibration of the DC evident in a Cutter landing on the FC.

It's like everything is 10 - 90 degrees out of phase...

Try manual scooping a material in Python - nearly impossible.

It's the old bugs plus new bugs whack-a-mole game

It has changed the general "feel" of the whole ED experience. Still playable - but it's different and feels wrong

Would love to have it working like it used to - especially the orbital approach.

I have seen none of that, everything works exactly as it did before, the only problem at the moment is the dot for the planets vanishing at a certain distances. landing pads are properly aligned, the docking computer handles all my ships fine, the orbital approach fine, I don't see these issues at all.

I have seen none of that, everything works exactly as it did before, the only problem at the moment is the dot for the planets vanishing at a certain distances. landing pads are properly aligned, the docking computer handles all my ships fine, the orbital approach fine, I don't see these issues at all.
Interesting...

Have you tried an Anaconda using the DC? Or a Cutter on a FC?

And no visible rotation of the docking port hologram when you drop in front of the station?

The docking computer on some ship was wonky before EDO. Looking at you Cutter BTW. If that's what you mean.

Interesting...

Have you tried an Anaconda using the DC? Or a Cutter on a FC?

And no visible rotation of the docking port hologram when you drop in front of the station?

I don't own either one, but I use a T9 with a docking computer and it works fine, a T6, Cobra, Krait Phantom, no problems with any of those.

I do and I own both an Anaconda and a Cutter. Also the holograms are actually misaligned as stated and behave differently than in Horizons. I did a comparison video a while back, you can clearly see the differences (another one is that the hologram in Odyssey keeps rotating when you dock, whereas in Horizons it's fixed as it should be).

Source: https://youtu.be/JveB0pzmB6Q?t=57

You mean the little station hologram on the dash, why is that a problem? I hardly ever look at it, I can see the station!

So it may be the changes they made here possibly?

I note it says low, medium and high, what about ultra settings, anyone tested that?
What PC would be required to run Odyssey on Ultra settings sering as the most have issue getting 60fps with monster PCs ;)

Weirdly i dont seem to be getting the issue on my ryzen 7 (Vega 10) laptop, will keep an eye out just in case ;)

You mean the little station hologram on the dash, why is that a problem? I hardly ever look at it, I can see the station!
Yes, I do mean that. You said earlier on you didn't notice any changes (just like you couldn't recall the placeholder white dot), I illustrated that there are. Whether or not that's a severe issue was not relevant to the discussion.

Also, you can use that hologram to orientate your approach to a station so that you can always exit SC right in front of the mail slot (as per the example).

Yes, I do mean that. You said earlier on you didn't notice any changes (just like you couldn't recall the placeholder white dot), I illustrated that there are. Whether or not that's a severe issue was not relevant to the discussion.

Also, you can use that hologram to orientate your approach to a station so that you can always exit SC right in front of the mail slot (as per the example).

Nope you are right I never noticed it had changed at all, the stations are always oriented to the planet so I use that to determine my approach, the only reason I might once have use the hologram is approaching an Orbis to determine exactly which face the letterbox is on, but it's really second nature now, I hardly give these things a glance, being a few degrees off is not something I would ever notice or consider a reportable problem.

☝️ Another one to the category: it works fine in EDH, how come they broke it in EDO ?
11030787.jpg

Nope you are right I never noticed it had changed at all, the stations are always oriented to the planet so I use that to determine my approach, the only reason I might once have use the hologram is approaching an Orbis to determine exactly which face the letterbox is on, but it's really second nature now, I hardly give these things a glance, being a few degrees off is not something I would ever notice or consider a reportable problem.
I've always used the hologram to determine the exact orientation as most larger stations are slanted approximately 45 degrees to one side and I want to make sure I align my approach accordingly. That said, if I recall correctly there have been updates in both Horizons and Odyssey which temporarily broke the hologram's orientation, rendering it completely useless for the aforementioned purpose. This time around, luckily, it's a smaller issue.

This means that as soon as you move the dots become offset from the actual planet positions.

Absolutely ! I noticed that, too some time ago. After jumping into a system all the bright dots are there and in the right place but if one starts to move in a direction they seem to wander off as they are glued to the background. Until they magically disappear when one gets near the destination...

Edit: Submitted to the issue tracker, too. Thx for the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom