Anyone with an RX 6000 series card able to get Odyssey to run with the 22.5.2 drivers?

I'd think that the AMD driver devs are going to put a lot of effort into smoothing out the wrinkles of the current drivers, with the launch of a new bunch of GPUs just around the corner, the last thing they want is incompatibilities taking the shine from it!

That's good news, I really hope 22.10.3 will fix the Orange Sidewinder. Tried 22.10.2 just now and the Orange Sidewinder still happens with those drivers.
But I get higher FPS with the 22.10.2 drivers compared to the recommended ones so if 22.10.3 fixes the crash and runs at higher FPS - that would be great!

Last edited:
The fix to get higher FPS is to play another game 😂
Or to keep heavily investing in the top CPU/GPU as soon they appear for at least 1-2 more years

i'll take my coat 😂

(but boy, AMD really took their time with this issue - assuming FDev did their part and reported the issue to AMD as soon as the support were flooded with user complains. Hopefully the fix will do work)

22.10.3 released today - still optional but with a note that ED has been 'fixed'

Downloading now, let's see if I'm in luck!

Not working for me: Continuous colour flashing, but no Sidewinder error. Odd thing is that the recording made was perfectly normal, so I can't show it!

Last edited:
did you remove all of morbads mods and return elite to default before testing this ? also doing the normal graphics folder deleting thing maybe ?

I'm just giving the new drivers a whirl now... RX 6800 XT here which was running on 22.3.1 until now (no hotfixes used).
Ody started up fine, no colour flickering, I successfully landed on a surface of a non-atmo planet.
Was the Orange Sidewinder happening when trying to land on any surface or only atmos?

There is one problem though - the texture detail pops in too late for me now. It's like I'm moving in a bubble where the details are fine but outside the borders they are not loaded yet. And the bubble is too small.
I tried to delete graphics settings but that did not help in any way.

But I honestly can't tell if this was the case with older drivers or not. Maybe I'm just concentrating too much and noticing things that were there before anyway.
EliteDangerous64_2022.10.29-08.40.jpg

Last edited:
I just tried 22.10.3 on my system. Radeon RX 6600. Graphic settings have been reset and then set back to Ultra.

The Orange Sidewinder crash has gone but now the game shows some problems with the graphics when playing ground missions. When I enter the building, the graphics seem to be ok in some places. The glitch also seems to be influenced wheather the flashlight is on or off which you can see in the video I just recorded.

Source: https://youtu.be/GGz4yyzpY_0

HighResScreenShot_2022-10-29_07-48-23.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just giving the new drivers a whirl now... RX 6800 XT here which was running on 22.3.1 until now (no hotfixes used).
Ody started up fine, no colour flickering, I successfully landed on a surface of a non-atmo planet.
Was the Orange Sidewinder happening when trying to land on any surface or only atmos?

There is one problem though - the texture detail pops in too late for me now. It's like I'm moving in a bubble where the details are fine but outside the borders they are not loaded yet. And the bubble is too small.
I tried to delete graphics settings but that did not help in any way.

But I honestly can't tell if this was the case with older drivers or not. Maybe I'm just concentrating too much and noticing things that were there before anyway.
View attachment 329773

This is an LOD change with U13 itself and shouldn't be driver related.

Another 'optimization' that does nothing to help performance outside of the absolute most potato hardware, but hurts IQ for everyone.

I just tried 22.10.3 on my system. Radeon RX 6600. Graphic settings have been reset and then set back to Ultra.

The Orange Sidewinder crash has gone but now the game shows some problems with the graphics when playing ground missions. When I enter the building, the graphics seem to be ok in some places. The glitch also seems to be influenced wheather the flashlight is on or off which you can see in the video I just recorded.

Source: https://youtu.be/GGz4yyzpY_0

View attachment 329777

This is the other major issue with all post-22.5.1 drivers. It can be fixed by disabling the offending shader with 3Dmigoto.

The only fix required for the Orange Sidewinder crash was the AppConfig.xml change. The 3DMigoto stuff was always for the teal overlay.

What issue?
It breaks frame sync so despite getting reasonable FPS it's jerky as anything. This isn't whilst streaming, as soon as OBS is open it happens. FPS drops by 10 percent and the odd jerkiness happens - it's 2 way also so if Odyssey is smooth, OBS capture is jerky. My OBS is very optimised with total CPU use when not streaming is under 3 percent.
It's the most annoying thing ever and I've tried literally everything from matching monitor frequencies to separating CPU affinities for the processes...maddening. I tested with DXVA disabled and doubles turned back on quickly and all was smooth but that was just now and for 5 minutes only, I need to test it bit further.

Post it anyway, so we can see the location/scenario the issue was occurring in.
Just uploading to youtube, so may take a while to process.

As soon as the game started loading ( so selecting EDO) the screen was flashing, top two thirds with cycling colours. The ship interior colours were unnaturally bright beneath the flashing. None of this can be seen in the video!

Last edited:
It breaks frame sync so despite getting reasonable FPS it's jerky as anything. This isn't whilst streaming, as soon as OBS is open it happens. FPS drops by 10 percent and the odd jerkiness happens - it's 2 way also so if Odyssey is smooth, OBS capture is jerky. My OBS is very optimised with total CPU use when not streaming is under 3 percent.
It's the most annoying thing ever and I've tried literally everything from matching monitor frequencies to separating CPU affinities for the processes...maddening. I tested with DXVA disabled and doubles turned back on quickly and all was smooth but that was just now and for 5 minutes only, I need to test it bit further.

What capture source are you using and does this happen even if you don't have the output preview enabled?

What encoder/settings?

As soon as the game started loading ( so selecting EDO) the screen was flashing, top two thirds with cycling colours. The ship interior colours were unnaturally bright beneath the flashing. None of this can be seen in the video!

I haven't seen anything like this. Does it persist after clearing shaders and deleting the worktable?

It not being on the video suggest it's being added very late in the display chain. Any overlays or unusual scaling active? Any display issues? Using an unusual pixel format?

What capture source are you using and does this happen even if you don't have the output preview enabled?

What encoder/settings?

I haven't seen anything like this. Does it persist after clearing shaders and deleting the worktable?

It not being on the video suggest it's being added very late in the display chain. Any overlays or unusual scaling active? Any display issues? Using an unusual pixel format?
This is without encoding started mate and it's on all capture sources - game, window and display

I don't use any overlays or other tools - this was recorded using AMD's Adreneline.
1440, HDR, 60Hz (at that time) so nothing that wasn't working (and is working again) with 22.5.1.

I did forget to clear the shaders and delete the worktable (as I have forgotten where to find them - it has been a long time since I played around with this) so will do a check where they are, clear them and do a clean install with the latest drivers... I wonder if OBS might capture 'everything'?

Top Bottom