ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

Free module slots for everyone!

With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots
, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.

The new modules are cool, but this absolutely rocks. Two C1 slots for small ships is a massive buff that will give them so much more utility across the board!

I'm assuming it's to stop those idiotic pathetic people that think it's fun to grief new players who are just trying to enjoy the game and learn.

Yup. Of course, nothing preventing you from using your alt to kill new players, and resetting every few kills. :p

I read and...
I like it!!!
The autodock that can do both stuff, its nice, and adding a extra slot to fit it so u dont need to mess with the configuration u got, is a plus indeed.

Mind me ive been flying without any assist on my Federal Corvette, but if i can have autodock again, that actually also takes care of takeoff without messing with the current loadout, it is blue over gold!

Tks FD, this and other stuff i read, takes my seal of approval!

Keep up the good work.

Arimus

Volunteer Moderator
We want these new modules to help those who struggle with that area of the game.

Ideally, all players would be able to navigate Supercruise and Dock/Undock manually, but we have identified that some players struggle with this. The balance for this is that by using these assist modules, you will lose out on the optional internal slots they take up.
I totally understand that Will, but you also mentioned ships will be getting extra slots. Small ships get 2 extra and medium and large ships get 1. That being the case the only downside would be for medium and large ships that could potentially only use 1 of these new modules, but assuming players have made it to a medium or large ship, they will no longer need them and thus the balance for combat ships in particular will change quite a bit. Perhaps I am missing something else? Thanks!

Bad management then.. Features like atmospheric planets were proposed even before launch.. If they couldnt manage the money from the initial sells then it's bad management.

Now, I totally agree that enormously stupid decisions, probably both managerial and technical, have been made along the way. But I'd still choose the approach Elite took over the Star Citizen one any given day. We've actually had a game we enjoy and care about, even with it warts, from day one. And it's been developed further, mostly but not always for the better.

Except this does not help players to learn. With this automation stuff, they will never learn how to fly "gud" which is probably the biggest part and deepest thing to do in this game.

A docking assistant, showing the trajectory, speed and things (player input) to do on pilots hud from 3-4km of the station would have been something to help them to learn. Not simply remove gameplay in a game that has already poor gameplay mechanics.

Supercruise acceleration gates could have been implemented instead of automation as well. Scaled towards the system size, once you go through the first SC gate, you will have to go through others gates on your way to accelerate and reach your destination faster (for exemple, Hutton in less than 5min if you manage to take all the gates). To do this, players input would be required (pitch, roll and managing the speed). At the end, it would provide supercruise gameplay instead of boredom.

If players struggle to learn the game, help them in learning instead of removing the learning part. Automation is the worst decision FDev could have made.

Nonsense. It means players can opt-out of part of the gameplay initially to focus on other things. For example getting their first kill without worrying about landing. Besides, this is really a case of 'dont like it? dont use it.'. People have asked for these things for years, and they will be happy with it. The idea that 'the worst thing FD could have done' is giving some optional and harmless options others have asked for is petty and narrow-minded.

pps - why am I white-knighting here all by myself? Where is my support??

Hmm. Standing back and pondering. :D

I mean, is see where they are coming from with these modules. But i also still think that they are only a small puzzle piece of what ED would need for new players. I think that better in-play information, best context-sensitive, would be much better. Instead of taking control from the player, it would teach the new player how to do things.

So these modules can be nice and bridge the gap to already now improve player retention, while the bigger upgrade is implemented. But if this is -the- big solution, it falls short of my expectations.

And on the modules: yes, my first thought also was like "yay, i can put more HRPs into my ships". But alas, that's just yet more power creep. And we already have enough of that. I mean sure, these new modules help new players, but we older players fill them with engineered stuff and again improve our ships a lot.

Due to massive power creep from the engineers FD already painted themselves into a corner. No matter what new content (outside of Thargoids, where you have to rely on non-engineerable weapons) FD wants to implement, it will be binary for one group only. Make it reasonably challenging for somebody in an engineered ship and it'll kill newer players in no time. Make it accessible for newer players and the veterans will immediately complain that it's too simply, no challenge, boring and worthless.

Adding more internals, even just C1 (which is a great slot for a HRP focused on resists) just adds to the power creep. So yes, i also doubt that this is the right way to go. But the problem is that FD also sees them as training wheels, where people will grow out and will use other things instead. And as it's two new modules, the current internal count of small ships is too prohibitive. Exactly the ships which new players fly lack the space for the training wheels. So they need the slots if these will be two new modules.

The idea of having "software slots" instead sounds interesting. But what would be the incentive for people to remove the training wheels for other things? I mean, what software could there be? I can only come up with those auto-pilot thingies and limpet controllers. Considering how limited use limpets see outside of mining and the fuel rats, i don't think that limpets would really replace the autopiloting software on many ships.

That being said, i also think that not adding new slots, but instead having 3 slots for software, which can be autopiloting software of limpet software, would still be an improvement. It would avoid the obvious power creep of the given upgrade, even if the incentive to replace the autopilot software would be very limited.

Why not simply let us decide when we are setting up a new game?
You know I actually support that, so that way people at least know and have an option to take the non hand holding path without having to sell modules every time they buy a new ship.

I totally understand that Will, but you also mentioned ships will be getting extra slots. Small ships get 2 extra and medium and large ships get 1. That being the case the only downside would be for medium and large ships that could potentially only use 1 of these new modules, but assuming players have made it to a medium or large ship, they will no longer need them and thus the balance for combat ships in particular will change quite a bit. Perhaps I am missing something else? Thanks!

If it is a class 1 slot, u cant actually putt that much in it anyhow that can make a diference so its not an issue i think.

Deleted member 110222

D
The update in 2020 will not be free, so that's actually how it works... You develop, you sell it, I buy it... It's called business. Sell me atmospheric planets for 20 euros, I'll pay it... sell it for 50 euros, I would buy it again, sell it for 100 I'm still on it...
They'll need more than your thirty quid, m8.

If you want to exclude everyone else so things are tailor-made to you, you're looking at, well, my sick-leave brain can't comprehend the numbers.

You're a nobody, I'm a nobody. Get over it.

Making Elite accessible is just like making the Arma and SWAT series accessible, in other words: it does not make sense.
Differents games exist for different needs, if I want accessible all I need to do is launch No Man's Sky.

Ah yes, the Truly Elite Bois have arrived. "Play it my way, or go play something else!" :) People asked for autopilot modules for years. FD added these modules. It cant possibly make more sense than that.

Top Bottom