ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

I doubt gankers will resist the temptation of resetting their account and camp in harmless system's station.

I did come up with a solution, it was in your other thread about the woes of mass ganking ...

The easiest way to ensure this doesn't happen is to keep the beginner systems to NEW USERS, if you reset your account you don't get to start there. Of course you mates could continue buying new accounts, but that would just be silly of them wouldn't it......

Not assuming changes are possible or anything.. but what would be amazing is if the docking computer (and the supercruise autopilot) could get keybinds to be activated / deactivated.

For the docking computer at least this would help you get the best of both.. to fly yourself until you wanted to then kick in the modules. I know you can do this already as the docking computer only kicks in at zero throttle but it would be much more elegant, allowing for more rp opportunities and give the opportiunities to make finer adustments before kicking the module in.

Supercruise Assist: Could be useful, would definitely stop me doing the loop of shame I guess. For those worried about being interdicted or whatever, just think about the process for a second. It is not an autopilot, it is an assist. A cruise control on a car will adjust your speed, all you have to do is steer - right! With this the steering past is also covered although it really isn't steering, it is just keeping the ship in a straight line. So would you take a nap in your car with cruise control on? Do pilots now days get up from the cockpit and leave the controls when flying under autopilot? Of course they don't. Guess what I am trying to say is if anyone gets interdicted and loses a ship whilst using the new SC Assist because they weren't watching their monitor they deserve everything that happened to them.
Was it mentioned anywhere that SC assist will keep you going in the straight line? I only read that "you will still have to align your ship" in the announcement. Can it be something much more basic where it only does the drop right assuming you didn't miss your target?

You dont' seem aware of this, but docking computers have no weight; they have no impact on a ship's mass nor jump range. I imagine the same may be true of the new supercruise assist, being software and all. Or it will be negligibly light, I'm sure.

The additional slots already can mean more jump range. Player choice here. Add mass and reduce jump range, or add a module that increases jump range, or make choices that keep it flush. There's certainly no reason that a base increase to jump range is needed because of the change.

In space, nothing has any weight. And yes, I am aware, there are modules to increase jump range as well, along with the masslessness of the Docking Computer, but you've missed my point - there is a reason to increase the base jump range. Our ships were designed, many of them, several years ago, with fewer slots than they have currently. Call it a "balancing pass", but I think it's certainly in order here. And it needn't be a significant increase - perhaps .1 will be enough to balance the changes.

Was it mentioned anywhere that SC assist will keep you going in the straight line? I only read that "you will still have to align your ship" in the announcement. Can it be something much more basic where it only does the drop right assuming you didn't miss your target?
Surely Adam will demo it. It’s actually starting to sound more like an auto throttle than a true autopilot.

I want a separate standard DC for bringing in my freighter while I set my next destination, but I don't want an advanced one for departure because it'll probably be too slow.
It will probably disable itself as soon as you try to accelerate, same as with docking.

Don‘t make it too casual!!!!!!!!!
Elite Dangerous should not be everybodies darling. The level of difficulty has given you players tied to this really special game for years...
My hope was, that Frontier would finally give us a BGS and Powerplay in Open Game only...

If you really want to go this way - please think about the following:

1. Beginner Mode like you just announced
2. Open Play for everyone

...and get rid of the rest!

Cmdr BHARD99, Wing Commander 1GLoD
No, thanks.

Thank you for this news. I think the focus on new player experience is vital for the future of the game. The player handbook, the indicators on the navigation and commodities screens, the training and challenge videos accessible from the game instance, and the starter systems for new players with missions better geared towards them are a great way forward.

I also love the Advanced Docking Computer and Supercruise Assist modules, which are not only great for new players, but also for veterans who can do it all blind folded, but sometimes like to take their hands off the wheel.

I would also suggest, as others have, that these two modules would be better integrated into the ship's computers, and be available in the ship's menu to enable and disable. I understand that they were implemented in module form to "balance" out their use, but it's unclear what is actually being balanced here, or even that there's anything that needs balancing. By that I mean, players don't gain any real advantage against other players by using these modules, and the use of these modules doesn't do much if anything to increase the success of a player in their goals. Further, if everyone had the option to turn these off and on from the ship's computer, then everyone would be on an even keel.

Please pass this feedback along if you could, and hopefully it can be reconsidered.

Last edited:
Supercruise AssistAvailable at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!

No matter how many times I slow down, I always get impatient and try to inch my speed up to get there quicker. ..and then here I go AGAIN, doing another loop of shame! :( This new feature will become my new best friend!! :love: THANK YOU!!! LOL

Have we considered the idea of adding a single dedicated size 1 "Computer" to the CORE slots that has the regular E through A Class options in terms of how many sub-functions it can perform laid out in Outfitting like the bays in an SRV hangar?

Along the lines of the hoppers in a refinery you could have say, a Class A with 6 programs while the D only has 3 but gets the typical mass benefits for exploration. It's a mandatory core item but doesn't scale like the life support or sensors on big ships.

ADC and Supercruise assist could come as standard, filling both function slots in the default Class E for the brand new player and if they want to try their hand at mining in the freewinder they can refit for prospector and collector limpet controllers instead.

The programs themselves could be supplied as some kind of physical punch card and stored / sorted / transferred via a separate panel in Outfitting as an adjunct to engineering with the best ones a 'treasure' to find, as mission rewards or upgrades.

Many, many games with legs include the concept of following clues and mission instructions to find chests, break them open and loot the treasure as seen in the current materials loops but what about when we can finally EVA into surface bases?

Prior to that, if legs are limited to inside the ship, going down to the "Babbage Bay" to physically swap out the subroutines and reprogram (I vote for "Daisy, Daisy" ambiance music) for say, an emergency fuel transfer or hull repair might be pretty awesome!

Of course, then we'd need a personal inventory, and sidearms, etc, etc...

Edit: Afterthought...
You could still have E through A Class limpet programs on the cards themselves, to emulate the current modules, with the best hatch breakers only available in high tech anarchy systems, where a PYR8 would expect to find them.

Maybe the more expensive civilian and military Supercruise Assist could include advanced interdiction resistance, or the ability to avoid the trade lanes completely and gain extra speed by staying off the ecliptic plane or using gravity wells?

Ooh, ooh! How about a set of cards that give a phasing sequence bonus, or a shield modulation calculator against shield tanks, or maybe an armour piercing, penetrating or high yield bonus that stacks with hull damage engineering?

Edit: Continued ramblings, here...

Last edited:
Sounds cool! Yet, entering and exiting stations manually was literally sold me on buying this game! I thought that was an amazing feature! Only upset no PSVR support. That was the other reason I purchased....still, Fantastic and beautiful universe you’ve built!

The updated Autodock and supercruise assist is going to be amazing, and a huge help to new players. These new features will IMO greatly reduce new player frustrations. And honestly its about time that these features were available.

After having slept a night over this (and, more importantly, after running 750 merits with my Cutter after flying two weeks in a Fer de Lance...)
I wholeheartingly agree with the new slots and modules, I guess I won't go for 754 tons instead of 752 on my Cutter, and won't fit a 1D hrp either.
I guess I'll take the advanced docking computer :unsure:

Top Bottom