ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

I must say tho the cockpit improvements were so much needed. It would have been terrible looking at those new iceplanets with an ugly nav panel. Right? :D

I actually like learning ED the hard way. But I couldn't have done it without CMDR Exigeous, Obsidian Ant, INARA, eddb, edsm, Road to Riches, etc. These guys deserve the credit for teaching beginners ED.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to game design. I believe this weird notion that a game should stand on it's own feet, and give all the necessary information in-game. While all these tools are wonderful and Obsidian Ant is truly awesome, the fact that they're essential to the game is a testimony to a game design failure.

Gaming to most people, is a hobby and an escape, not a second job. They want to log in, relax and enjoy an alternate universe, and log out. Forcing them to scour the internet for instructions in order to do even the most basic things is an enormous turn-off. The information simply should be there, in-game, and preferably offered in an engaging, interactive way. The in-game tutorials are a good start, but fall short. After finishing them, players still don't know how to operate most equipment and weapons, and there certainly aren't enough in-game instructions available.

While auto-docking and auto-cruising are nice (regardless of the fact that I won't be using them), I don't think they address the real issue beginners have.
(I'm not touching the issue of the community and Open here, since I've done it enough already. But having a safer playground, which I think the sharks will find ways into anyway, for the first steps will not fix those problems.)

You get an Optional Internal slot! You get an Optional Internal slot! You ALLLLLL get an Optional Internal slot!

No, but they're changing the way other people play. And that does concern me. This isn't a single-player game.
Exactly this is not a single-player game and ppl tend to forget that. Even in solo you are affected and affect other players but unfortunatly companies get the "if we dumb down the game enough millions will play it" syndrome that never worked before and all it does is for more hardcore players to leave.

Exactly this is not a single-player game and ppl tend to forget that. Even in solo you are affected and affect other players but unfortunatly companies get the "if we dumb down the game enough millions will play it" syndrome that never worked before and all it does is for more hardcore players to leave.

It may not work but as you say players leave. Those players already paid for the game so no loss there where as the new players are buying in.

Every one get a super cruise assist module, but wait we don't have enough space for YET ANOTHER module, "frontier" oh yeah everyone gets a free module space! I'm sure this was something frontier said nah to a while back when players where screaming for more space.

Always love the way they put "bug fixes" no idea what though... used to get lists of them, but not any more, since the new forum page all older most extensive bugs are archived forever, never to see the light of the milky way again.!

Thanks for the update Will. I like the sound of virtually all of that, really looking forward to seeing it.

However... We have an issue...

It is not the loop of shame!!! Even if you approach a planet at full speed and loop around it, it is faster than approaching in the blue zone!

That aside, sounding great :)
Also it is a vital tactic when pirates are lurking around the main star: speed past the destination and loop back around so they are in front of you. Stars preserve anyone jumping into a Galactic Initiative and aiming straight for the station!!!!

Really liking the sound of this update, especially the 2xc1 slots for small ships! I’m so building a Cobra with a 1A collector and 1A prospector for core mining and my favourite ship the DBX finally gets to mount its DSS neatly!

The changes to the nav panel also sound neat! It wasn’t mentioned but I’m hoping we’ll be able to quickly select our bookmarks from it for more seamless traveling/trading, it’s a feature that has been asked for on a number of occasions.

Not so sure on the proposed starter systems, you can barely sneeze without ranking up with a fresh CMDR, will see how it turns out I guess.

Overall I’m loving the general direction of the updates at the moment, can’t wait for you guys to review the navy ranks and give them some added flavour and depth.

👍👍

I am glad they changed the name of community goals to something less "gamey" so will give them that.
have no problems with making stuff for new players, however rank locked systems is so gamey, would have been better having a "mode" for new players which is locked off which then merges into one of the 3 core modes after a time..... locked off systems for new players makes no sense when looking at it from the game universe POV.

as for the auto pilot etc....... i am not bothered about it per se but it really needs significant downsides and it not be the defacto most efficient way to play, and more space for modules? FD either think they made a rubbish job of speccing the ships at launch, OR they are massively turning ED into a casual game with no nuance to ship balance by just adding "moar" to all ships.

like some have already said, FD have my money so i suppose they do not care if i stay or i go, but in general ED is going further away from the game i thought it was meant to be <shrugs>
I barely post here now. i was not expecting much for this update but was hopefuly for a few bits and pieces. QOL seems to mean "make the game easier with less hands on to do"

LOL, it's just as always. We get new things and instantly whiners everywhere. Noone is forced to use either Supercruise Control or the Advanced Docker Computer, and you can leave all the additional internal slots free for a challenge. Some even fly FA-OFF all the time todays. Options are virtually always better than no options. And it's you who decides what flying style suits you best. Making the game more accessible to newcomers is a good thing and everybody who doesn't quit in frustration at Harmless is a gain for all. Finally, complaining that the game gets too easy for others is just plain hypocrisy. IMHO. YMMV.

Docker_%28container_engine%29_logo.png

O7,
🙃

Well, for one, I welcome the auto docking/auto take-off feature. Not because I don't prefer and always done it manually, but because my stick drifts like a demon and I can't fix it, to the point I'm not playing the game lately because it's infuriating. So if I must choose between letting the game land/take off for me or not playing at all, I take the 1st. The extra slot is always welcome, I bet most people are selling (or not buying) the docking system, so it's free real estate for another gadget. Don't care about the auto supercruise control, not using it.

The beginner's zone is , in the other hand. If we can't have tractor beams because it "breaks the lore", let them explain there's systems in the bubble in which only new pilots can go. Ridiculous.

as for the auto pilot etc....... i am not bothered about it per se but it really needs significant downsides and it not be the defacto most efficient way to play, and more space for modules?
I assume the downside of the autopilot is that it only travels in a straight line at the maximum sustainable straight-line speed, so a manual approach could save a couple of minutes per trip, plus avoid interdictions. Plus it takes a module slot (and power?), of course, which could certainly be used better for something else.

Those seem pretty significant disadvantages to me.

Top Bottom