Hardware & Technical Are you ready for SUPER graphics cards .....

well the tests would indicate the 5700 series amd cards are solid cards, though the default blower is garbage and runs hot and noisy. Oh and the drivers are not ready yet.

So if you want a card now, then get an NVIDIA super series. If you fine waiting a few months till amd partners release their custom cards and hopefully the drivers have matured, then its worth while considering the AMD cards, as in theory they represent better value for money.

well the tests would indicate the 5700 series amd cards are solid cards, though the default blower is garbage and runs hot and noisy. Oh and the drivers are not ready yet.

So if you want a card now, then get an NVIDIA super series. If you fine waiting a few months till amd partners release their custom cards and hopefully the drivers have matured, then its worth while considering the AMD cards, as in theory they represent better value for money.
Seems to be in the tradition.

I always found the SLI/CF business a bit weird.
I mean, it kind of makes sense with the best GPU. You have the best and you want more performance/more monitors etc... Then sure.
But for any other GPU it just makes more sense to buy a stronger card instead of a second weak one,
Plus nowadays almost no games support SLI/CF fully. There are I think two or three games where the performance scales linearly with more GPUs and many games downright refuse to work properly on multi GPU setups.

To me, in this day and age the SLI is only good for two things - if you want to have a huge number of monitors and bragging rights on 3DMark. And I would certainly not expect it on mid range cards.

But for any other GPU it just makes more sense to buy a stronger card instead of a second weak one

I've had a half dozen multi-GPU setups and not a single one started out that way.

I ran Elite: Dangerous on a Radeon R9 290X crossfire setup for two years. Pulled the cards out of a miner after profitability went down, got them running with acceptably low frame interval variance and good scaling, which allowed me to forestall a GPU upgrade until Pascal (the 980 Ti was tempting, but not quite the leap I was looking for).

When I upgrade the GPU in my main system, my HTPC is getting this 1080 Ti which I will run in SLI with the 1080 Ti already in it. I've already binned them both and know what each of their optimal frequency voltage slopes are, so anything that reacts well to SLI I can run with better performance and dead silence because it won't use any more power than the OCs I use for the single cards...and anything that doesn't react well to SLI can just run on the better 1080 Ti with it's peak OC dialed in.

I've just ordered new PC "guts" (3900X, 5700XT and an Asus PRIME X570-P) - I'll let you know how the GPU performs after I get it on Wednesday.
I am contemplating going for a 3900X as the replacement for my 5930K . I am not sure what impact going from Quad Channel to Dual Channel RAM will have for me. What RAM are you pairing it with?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I am contemplating going for a 3900X as the replacement for my 5930K . I am not sure what impact going from Quad Channel to Dual Channel RAM will have for me. What RAM are you pairing it with?
I've got a choice:
1) HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4x8GB Kit) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 DIMM Memory8GB HyperX 2400
2) 16GB DDR4 3600 CL19 GSkill Sniper X urban Kit of 2
I'll run a few benchmarks before picking one - the other is going into my son's PC upgrade using the guts of my existing PC (1800X, Vega64, Asus PRIME X370-PRO).

I'm still running with a triple channel setup, so I'm pretty interested in AMD's newest offerings.

Found an article which benchmarks dual vs quad channel setups.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/298...e-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html

Newer benchmarks
https://www.cgdirector.com/single-dual-quad-channel-memory-threadripper/

I've got a choice:
1) HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4x8GB Kit) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 DIMM Memory8GB HyperX 2400
I'll run a few benchmarks before picking one - the other is going into my son's PC upgrade using the guts of my existing PC (1800X, Vega64, Asus PRIME X370-PRO).
From what I've heard, almost all (save one, I think) X570 boards run daisy chain RAM topology so they work better with one stick per channel.
That being said, this is mostly an overclocking thing, so unless you are planning on overclocking your memory over 4GHz, it really doesn't matter whether you have two sticks or four.
Also, the memory overclocking influences the I/O die clocks on the new Ryzens. Up until 3733MHz RAM clock, the I/O runs 1:1. If you overclock the RAM further, it switches to 2:1 mode, because the infinity fabric can't clock above 3733MHz, So your CPU fabric will run at half the RAM frequency, so the RAM scores may be astounding, but the overall performance goes down.
Anyway, up until the 3733 GHz, it's straightforward "More RAM speed, more performance" so I'd go with that GSkill kit.

I've got a choice:
If you get a chance (and are so inclined) , when your new rig is set up could I trouble you to run wotencore (https://wotencore.net/) @ 1080 p on Ultra?

I just ran it on my rig (5930K, 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 and EVGA 980Ti Classified) and scored 24,470

IP6oSug.jpg

I would be interested to know how much higher your score is.

TIA.

edit: as an example the Hexus test rig benchmark is almost 25% higher with a 5700 XT. https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/132296-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700/?page=12

Last edited:
Interesting benchmark. I only play WoWs, not the tanks, but I'll try that, too.

I'm always interested in simple benchmarks that can spit out a simple number so you know where you're at and have an easy comparison between systems

Top Bottom