Notice ARX and Frontier Points Conversion

Hello Commanders,

With the upcoming September Update we wanted to take a moment to explain some important information about the Frontier Store and ARX when they're introduced to the game.

Purchasing Cosmetics
  • ARX can be purchased, as well as earned by simply playing the game, to acquire Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!
  • You will no longer be able to purchase Game Extras using current payment methods and instead will require ARX, available in a number of packs (below).
  • Prices for PC ARX packs (below) are as follows:
    • 5000 ARX - 2.99 GBP / 3.49 EUR / 3.99 USD
    • 8400 (+420 bonus) ARX - 4.99 GBP / 5.99 EUR / 6.99 USD (total ARX - 8,820)
    • 16,800 (+900 bonus) ARX - 9.99 GBP / 10.99 EUR / 12.99 USD (total ARX - 17,700)
    • 25,500 (+1,300 bonus) ARX - 14.99 GBP / 15.99 EUR / 18.99 USD (total ARX - 26,800)
    • 51,000 (+3,000 bonus) ARX - 29.99 GBP / 32.99 EUR / 39.99 USD (total ARX - 54,000)
    • 85,000 (+15,000 bonus) ARX - 49.99 GBP / 54.99 EUR / 59.99 USD (total ARX - 100,000)
  • Prices for console ARX packs may vary market to market based on platform specifications.

Frontier Points
  • When logging in after the September Update is released, any outstanding Frontier Point balance will be converted into ARX with the following transfer rate (based on the best value ARX package): 1 Frontier Point = 20 ARX
  • Commanders will also receive an email about this conversion.
Frontier Store Downtime
  • In order to prepare for these changes, the PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Frontier Store will be offline from 16 September at 07:00 (UTC) and go live when the September Update has been deployed.
If you have any questions about ARX, please let us know below or consult or FAQ available here.

Updated details and clarifications:

[/spoiler]

1 Frontier Point = 20 ARX. Which is ~ 16 cents USD at 5000 ARX bundle and ~ 1 cent USD at the 85000 ARX bundle rate

So I can get a typical paint job for $4.00 USD and a reasonably decent ship kit for approximately twice as much. (y)

THANK YOU FDev for not cybernetically brain farting over the ED store with Star Citizen's outer worldly pricing scheme :LOL:

Hopefully we'll see one of the community run resource sites keep an updated list of the real-money cost of each purchase on the store, to help people keep track.
Here you go. This spreadsheet gives you the real-money cost of the purchase you want to make and suggests the most cost effective way of buying it.

There are some complex cells in there so there may be bugs. If you find one, please DM me.

Last edited:
Meanwhile we have bugs, unbalanced mechanics when working, and so on... no no let s put dev effort in an useless store and money...

Meanwhile we have bugs, unbalanced mechanics when working, and so on... no no let s put dev effort in an useless store and money...
Fixing bugs and making cosmetics earnable are not mutually exclusive.

Perhaps wait until next Wednesday's patch notes before assuming bugs aren't being fixed too?

Perhaps wait until next Wednesday's patch notes before assuming bugs aren't being fixed too?

Sure we have been waiting for 4 years, so one additional week... But don t worry, I will let you enjoy your Arks.

And your comment is not smelling objectivity at all...not surprised when I saw your name-

Sure we have been waiting for 4 years, so one additional week... But don t worry, I will let you enjoy your Arks.

And your comment is not smelling objectivity at all...not surprised when I saw your name-
Bug fixes (and new bugs) have arrived in every update, they're listed in the patch notes. Here are the objective links you require: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-news/?prefix_id[0]=104

Apologies for not resorting to unfounded (and often provably incorrect) negativity that you appear to desire.

As a reward for your 4 years of service to the forums we had a whip-around and got you ...

A picture of some adorable puppies!

Do try to cheer up old chap ;) It's really not worth getting upset over a game (y)

There's still something odd going on with the prices of Arx. Take a look at the prices of a cheap ship kit bought with the various packs.

I think this is how it should look: the middle is nearly constant but decreasing a little. The smallest is 10% more expensive and the biggest is 10% less expensive.

But when we try it in Euros, it doesn't quite work the same:

And dollars is even worse:

The 5000 pack is a much better deal and the prices change more. That is probably due to different bank fee structures. But the 54000 pack looks wrong. I know there was originally a typo in the OP, but it got fixed. Maybe it didn't get quite fixed enough. Otherwise I would urge our continental and American cousins to avoid the 54000 pack.

Last edited:
There's still something odd going on with the prices of Arx. Take a look at the prices of a cheap ship kit bought with the various packs.

I think this is how it should look: the middle is nearly constant but decreasing a little. The smallest is 10% more expensive and the biggest is 10% less expensive.
View attachment 143050

But when we try it in Euros, it doesn't quite work the same:
View attachment 143051

And dollars is even worse:
View attachment 143052

The 5000 pack is a much better deal and the prices change more. That is probably due to different bank fee structures. But the 5400 pack looks wrong. I know there was originally a typo in the OP, but it got fixed. Maybe it didn't get quite fixed enough. Otherwise I would urge our continental and American cousins to avoid the 54000 pack.
Yeah, brought up here as well:

Hopefully we can get fdev to acknowledge that it's wrong tomorrow when they're in the office.

Bug fixes (and new bugs) have arrived in every update, they're listed in the patch notes. Here are the objective links you require: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-news/?prefix_id[0]=104

Apologies for not resorting to unfounded (and often provably incorrect) negativity that you appear to desire.
Sure, they can fix bugs, but they are not fixing the most important ones, like Multicrew, instancing bugs (fighters causing rubber banding), etc.

Yeah, I don't think there's even been any acknowledgement of the m/c & other networking issues. Which is bizarre because I remember the m/c intro stream where fdev got multiple disconnects in their showcase m/c stream in their own building. If that didn't make them think it needed some tlc I'm not sure what would.

Source: https://youtu.be/P2zcV8-oXY8?t=1599

Main reason I tend to play in solo is because I get annoyed at all the other players bouncing around the screen in Open, rather than issues with other players.

Well, my only question, how does all this changes the use of the ever obscure Steam Elite store( https://steam.elitedangerous.com/en ) which for many people arround the world is a nicer way to get the cosmetics with a Steam Gift card on their steam wallet, than having to rely on an international credit card. Hope that the players tha tare not from the obvious places like UK / US have a decent option to aquire ARX.

Cheers from Brazil

TL;DR but how much Arx for an engine or laser colour?
It has to be a guess, because those types of detailing were not given in the examples that Frontier posted. But my guess is 1640, making them £0.98 when bought with the 5000 Arx pack, rather than the £1 that they are now.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Hi Paige/Will

Thanks for the clarifications....

My Question

What happens to accumulated ARX if the game client terminates inelegently ?

ARX earned through playing are accumulated by the servers, so players won't miss out if their game client disconnects. Upon logging in, players will see their earnings.

Um...

So, I would earn no arx when pirating, as I don't destroy ships.

I guess selling the stolen goods would count as "hauling cargo" though.

Trade, Combat and Exploration are not an exhaustive list of activities that will earn you ARX, just prime examples. We’ve done our best to make sure that every play style is accommodated.

Bugs have been fixed in every update so far, unfortunately new bugs get introdiced. Thats the nature of an ever evolving and expanding computer game. I suspect a load of bugs will be fixed in this update too, just like all the others.

Reading through this topic has been hilarious, obviously FDev are going to raid my wallet for far more money I have to buy hundreds of cosmetics I don't want, evil incarnate!

But the rest of the sane folk here realise that we are going to get something for just playing, and can buy the Graphite skins for our ships exclusively! We are the winners, all that is required to get 'stuff' is patience... Each week we will be given, free, the power to 'purchase' something for nothing... That is utterly dreadful, DOOM!

I do tend to browse the store on occasion, more often than not I leave with nothing added to my cart as there is nothing 'new' that catches my eye, not the ideal impulsive buyer, sorry.

That 8.9% Tencent influence has gone right over my head, they must be gnashing their teeth in frustration over not getting my hard-earned in their account through forced micro-transactions. Of course, as my home currency doesn't involve cents, that is likely why...

Top Bottom