Notice ARX FAQ

Lifetime backers were able, early on, to 'pay in advance', and current players will ultimately have to pay more in the long run to access what lifetime backers will get access to. How about Frontier let us all have the opportunity to become lifetime backers... ?
They may do that again when the next expansion comes out next year.

At any rate, and in all seriousness, I think that Lifetime backers should have everything that is available on the Frontier Store - right now (but more especially when ARX is released).
I disagree. As it is a revenue stream that helps to keep the game being developed, that would be a poor decision.

And your opinion on the Cobra MKIV - allowing all to have access to it?
As a Cobra Mk4 owner, I would have no issues. I have had plenty of time to "enjoy" the ship. I say let some others enjoy it. It should have always been a timed exclusive in my view.

Giving stuff for a good cause - charity - is commendable. However, Frontier is a business, not a charity - although it does sometimes engage in charitable activities. I full support this type of thing. Likewise, competitions are fine.

I've detailed my gripes above, and have yet to see a reasonable response as to why I should not feel a little disgruntled that I've paid for items that others will soon be able to access for free (had I been made aware of this fact at an earlier point, I might have chosen not to purchase any of the stuff and waited to earn if by simply playing the game - as I have been doing for several years, on and off).

Unlike most, your issue seems to be with the ability to earn these points for in-game actions. It seems likely that FDev will not want to just give them away willy nilly, because that would significantly devalue the cosmetic products as you imply. You & Fdev both want the same thing, for people to continue to consider cosmetics to have value. There may be an initial training period but it is in FDev's interests to quickly find a rate of progression that someone with an opinion such as yours can tolerate.

Well, if you can't see what the problem is I can't really help.

I've paid money for various paint jobs, ship kits, etc., and now Frontier are going to allow people to earn ARX to obtain what I have by simply playing the game (like I've been doing for the past several years). I had to buy this stuff with my cash, and now others will be able to obtain it without having to spend any more money. That's not a problem?

OK, let me purchase the Life-Time pass now - or let me, using ARX have access to the Lifetime pass holder gear. Let everyone have access to the Cobra MKIV. Basically, these things have been ring-fenced because of money paid. Whereas, what some of you are stating is that the money I paid for unique items in the online store doesn't count, and it's OK for others to have access to this free of charge - using ARX - despite the fact that many players have actually bought this stuff for a price!

Ok, let's put it this way, there is a greater chance of us learning whether hell is endothermic or exothermic than FD giving you what you want. These things happen all the time with products. For example, sales. You go to a shop to buy a pair of jeans. You pay $50. The next day they go on sale for $20. Do you charge back in and demand they give you $30 back?

Its absoloutely acceptable for FD to do this and no reason for players to expect any money back for the purchases they made days, weeks, months, or years ago.

SpaceAce -Not having a pop at you but you chose to buy stuff, and it was stuff that didn't affect your game other than visually.

I've bought a ton of music in my time - LP's, CD's, singles. Now that I can access pretty much any album for free via you tube etc does that makes all that money a waste of time? Nope. I enjoyed it when I bought it, just like you've enjoyed having a different colour ship from the stock model

Anyway do you really think free ARX's are going to come quick enough to buy stuff every week? I can see it taking a couple of months play time to earn enough for a paint job.

From the EULA:

5.1 You acknowledge that all ownership rights, intellectual property, trade secret and all other proprietary rights in the Game and the Online Features (including, without limitation, any computer code, themes, objects characters, character names, stories, locations, concepts, artwork, storylines, likenesses, moral rights, structural or landscape designs, musical compositions, dialogue, or any other content protected by US or international intellectual property protection laws) are owned or licensed by Frontier, that rights in the Game are licensed rather than sold to you (subject to the licence granted in clause 2), and that you have no rights in or to the Game or the Online Features other than the right to Use them strictly in accordance with the terms of this EULA.

5.2 You acknowledge that you shall acquire no proprietary rights in past or stored gameplay, Game progress, character or other achievements within the Game.

In all honesty, I probably won't care that much come time for release and the change - updates, etc. However, I do think there is a valid point in some of what I'm stating as respects others who have paid money and expect that the stuff they have obtained due to that payment remain unique to them (and their special little group - lifetime backers, Cobra MKIV 'owners', etc.).

Whereas, we who have been long-time players, and supporters, apparently are not expected to feel disgruntled when Frontier announces that ARX is coming and that all things that were previously obtainable via Frontier Store using real cash (as good as the money paid by Lifetime backers, and Cobra MK IV 'owners'), are expected to shut up and accept the change without any objections.

Try suggesting that we should now have access to Lifetime backer content, or the Cobra MK IV and you'll soon find all sorts of people coming out of the woodwork objecting to this. But it's alright to give away everything free (soon, via ARX) that I, and others, have purchased... :unsure:

Still, the majority commenting here seem to have no problem with it. Probably because they haven't spent very much, if anything, on Game Extras. I guess I'm the only sucker here who has...😳
The life time backers and those who bought Horizons as a pre-release where buying the life time pass and Horizons respectively the goodies that came with the one or the Cobra IV with the other where rewards for doing so. This is not the same thing as you or I going to the store and buying a Gold paint job (no longer available) for an FdL.

I have bought paint jobs and ship kits from the store and paid full and sale prices for them however I don’t consider this forthcoming change to be any kind of ripoff as I have had in my opinion my money’s worth from the paints I have bought.

The fact that eventually someone will get for free those paint jobs still available that I paid for is unlikely to raise a flicker of annoyance unless it is possible to earn enough points to get those paints in a ridiculously short time and seeing as I will be earning the roughly same number of Arx and have not come even close to running out of things I might like from the shop doubt that it will be an issue even then.

From the EULA:

5.1 You acknowledge that all ownership rights, intellectual property, trade secret and all other proprietary rights in the Game and the Online Features (including, without limitation, any computer code, themes, objects characters, character names, stories, locations, concepts, artwork, storylines, likenesses, moral rights, structural or landscape designs, musical compositions, dialogue, or any other content protected by US or international intellectual property protection laws) are owned or licensed by Frontier, that rights in the Game are licensed rather than sold to you (subject to the licence granted in clause 2), and that you have no rights in or to the Game or the Online Features other than the right to Use them strictly in accordance with the terms of this EULA.

5.2 You acknowledge that you shall acquire no proprietary rights in past or stored gameplay, Game progress, character or other achievements within the Game.
Most EULA text as written today should be illegal and unfortunately I feel the same about Frontier's EULA. Buyers of games and other actual products should always have the option to buy the product outright (boxed version of software or download). Essentially this says you part with your money and are not guaranteed anything at all. Rubbish. Games companies that take online games down should be required to open-source the code or provide a version that works offline.

But suppose this is off-topic for the thread about ARX.

I will be happy if $1 = 1 ARX, otherwise it is rubbish. Also, unless I can buy only the exact amount of ARX I want to spend, this scheme means FD gets an interest-free loan at my expense with no option to not participate (and the accounting . . .). Price in real-world terms becomes harder to track and understand. In that case, not a fan.

Most EULA text as written today should be illegal and unfortunately I feel the same about Frontier's EULA. Buyers of games and other actual products should always have the option to buy the product outright (boxed version of software or download). Essentially this says you part with your money and are not guaranteed anything at all. Rubbish. Games companies that take online games down should be required to open-source the code or provide a version that works offline.

But suppose this is off-topic for the thread about ARX.

I will be happy if $1 = 1 ARX, otherwise it is rubbish. Also, unless I can buy only the exact amount of ARX I want to spend, this scheme means FD gets an interest-free loan at my expense with no option to not participate (and the accounting . . .). Price in real-world terms becomes harder to track and understand. In that case, not a fan.
Just buy the Arx when the ones you earn by playing plus the package size equal the price of the paintjob you want.

I'd agree with this, and remembering buying games on tape for the ZX Spectrum, since then I've watched games publishers push EULAs ever closer towards this concept they've established now - and which we as The Consumer® have let them establish - whereby they make a thing, we pay them for the thing, they get our money and they still own the thing.

This is wrong. It's very obviously wrong, unethical and anti-customer. And with online gaming now the standard they're creating more and more ways to keep us on the hook for continual payments on top of our intial outlay to buy the game. Plus they get to enforce a demand for always-on play and create games as 'live services' so they can monitor usage and, to some degree or another, remotely control the game client - essentially demonstrating their continued ownership of the product we've paid for. Which, let's face it, is doubtless the real reason Elite Dangerous just couldn't possibly work as an offline single-player title...

All that said, I've never considered ED a particularly egregious example of the type, and I've been happy enough to play it since beta, and ARX in itself isn't going to put me off. But that said, it does strike me as a warning sign that obnoxious elements of the broader games industry might be starting to infect ED too - though I understand that console players have had a similar system all along, so, you know. Still, though. It bears watching.

I say bring me my money!.png
/S

You go to a shop to buy a pair of jeans. You pay $50. The next day they go on sale for $20. Do you charge back in and demand they give you $30 back?
I know this was sarcastic, but the next day, up to 3 days, actually, yes, I go back, show my receipt, and politely ask for the difference.
And I've never had a retailer refuse.
I don't know if it's related to good customer service, or local consumer protection laws, but there it is.

Most EULA text as written today should be illegal and unfortunately I feel the same about Frontier's EULA.
While I agree with the basic tenants of your argument (I'm typing this using an open source browser in an open source operating system), the fact is that by playing the game, we agree to the EULA. People truly offended by EULAs don't use the offending software. Either that or they become a software pirate, but I'm not advocating this!

My reply was specific to @Agony Aunt's example.
Also, I don't know what you mean by "bought Elite on the terms you got?"
Well, I'm following along as best I can. As I understand it your objection is that you've had to pay to get the game on particular terms - and now the new update means others will get the same benefits without paying in the way you had to. If I've got that wrong please do put me right. But you were asked if, having bought some jeans at a given price, you'd then go back and ask for a refund if someone else subsequently bought them at a lower price. You've replied that you would, and had, if you were within three days of the sale.

With all that in mind - as I've said unless I've got it wrong and you wish to correct me - the obvious question seemed to be, how long has elapsed since you paid for the game?

Top Bottom