Notice ARX FAQ

Currently I can purchase cosmetics in the store, mark them as a gift, get the codes and then give these codes to whoever I want. They applying the code in the game and get that cosmetic, which is non-transferable afterwards. Why to disable this feature? I do not understand. I cannot purchase a gift for someone? This is just stupid.

Yes, but this requires you to exit the game, log into the store, enter credit card details for an exact amount of real world currancy and then communicate the gift information to the recipient somehow, email or social media.

ARX, if they could be transfered or cosmetics gifted to other players in game, would be much easier, faster and the value of ARX not necessarily associated with real world value.

Last edited:
Arx will only be available in packs and then added to your account total. Once a purchase has been made, you can use the leftovers towards another purchase, or save them and wait for your earned Arx to top you up.
Ouch. Given the negativity expressed here and elsewhere about deliberate pricing of items and packs in other games in order to encourage further spending, it's a shame that FD have gone for exactly this model. It's difficult not to assume that this is precisely the strategy FD intends to employ, with packs available in multiples that are about 20% greater than the nominal cost of an average item. Perhaps the ability to earn arx in-game will mitigate this, but I further suspect that the rate of in-game arx accrual will be so low as to make it impractical to "earn" anything but the most inexpensive items (decals, maybe). I hope to be proven wrong, but the prime motivation for these changes is starting to feel less like a harmonisation of store mechanics and more like an excuse to squeeze the squeaking pips a little tighter.

Packs are a pretty manipulative marketing strategy already, but giving us these just-too-little-to-buy-anything packs would actually be an insult for me.
That too.

When equipping a new Paint Job whilst "out in the black" your current wear and tear will remain at its current level. Refreshing the wear and tear will be limited to Station Services as normal.
From a sales perspective this wouldn't have been my first choice (having just dropped coin -- sorry, arx -- on some new paint I'd like to be able to see all of it on my ship) but as I mentioned in another post it does get around the problem of being able to instantly fix wear and tear by swapping between two paint jobs. I guess I'll have to headcanon this one as the nanotech skin being reprogrammable with any "licensed" pattern, but the skin itself wearing off or otherwise being rendered inert by long spells in supercruise and needing to be replenished at a station. It does mean this nanotech is dirt cheap though, given the peanuts credit cost of a refresh.

Can players have a refund for the Game Extras they've bought already (such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!)? Basically, remove the items already purchased with real cash and earn them for free when ARX is released - much like those who don't currently have such items will be able to do in September? :unsure:

It seems to me that perhaps those Commanders who have spent real cash on stuff that will soon be earnable basically for playing the game are being short changed with this change... 🤑
How about a refund for people who bought stuff at full price that later became available in a sale?

As you earn Arx in the game you don't have to overspend on a pack. Simply buy one size smaller and top it off with earnings.

As you earn Arx in the game you don't have to overspend on a pack. Simply buy one size smaller and top it off with earnings.
That makes sense, but Frontier didn't implement this system for those who have that sort of self-control .... still everyone who actually pays for Arxs will be maintaining the game for me. Many thanks!

I guess I'll have to headcanon this one as the nanotech skin being reprogrammable with any "licensed" pattern, but the skin itself wearing off or otherwise being rendered inert by long spells in supercruise and needing to be replenished at a station. It does mean this nanotech is dirt cheap though, given the peanuts credit cost of a refresh.
That paintjob repair is just the maintenance bods waving a degaussing rod over the ChameleonSkin nanotech to get them all realigned... unless you’re in a posh station - those lot use velvet gloves to lovingly smooth it all back into place. Probably while occasionally looking into the bridge windows and giving you a cheeky wink. And “Car Wash” by Rose Royce is playing in the background. Only a million ARX per service!

(I think my head canon needs recalibration)

Can players have a refund for the Game Extras they've bought already (such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!)? Basically, remove the items already purchased with real cash and earn them for free when ARX is released - much like those who don't currently have such items will be able to do in September? :unsure:

It seems to me that perhaps those Commanders who have spent real cash on stuff that will soon be earnable basically for playing the game are being short changed with this change... 🤑

Do you also ask for a refund for the food you just ate in a restaurant, because you're not hungry anymore? :p

Sorry, but that's just silly.

This is a very, very bad move.
You are breaking currently existing award system in many squadrons where paint jobs are granted to winners by squad command who purchase them as gifts in the store. Why are you doing this?!
The quote says: "At the moment". It's a new system, so I imagine gifting has to be reimplemented, which will only happen later (firstly because it has lots of caveats, secondly because actual purchasing should always come before gifting as a functionality).

The quote says: "At the moment". It's a new system, so I imagine gifting has to be reimplemented, which will only happen later (firstly because it has lots of caveats, secondly because actual purchasing should always come before gifting as a functionality).
I have learned through years that this "At the moment" actually means "Never will be". But I appreciate your enthusiasm and positive thinking.

Hey Bernie, aren't you supposed to be running for US President and not wasting time playing video games?

OK, I bought various paint jobs, ship kits and other things with real cash (fiat currency, but that's another matter...). Other people will soon be able to come along and presumably get the same gear without having to spend any paper money. Had I know this system was to be implemented, I might not have bothered spending any 'real' cash, and chose to earn ARX by playing the game - regardless of the time taken to actually accumulate ARX.

Still, for those who were provided other 'gifts' for supporting this game, such as the Cobra MKIV or life time backers, they don't have to worry about those things being given away for free now - probably wouldn't tolerate it. Whereas, I'm now facing a situation whereby I have supported this game through various purchases, as well as playing for several years, and yet I may see others obtain all I have purchased for simply playing, and spending nothing but the initial cost of the base games... I think I have the right to express some consternation over this situation... I'm thinking I've been diddled... :unsure:
I too would like a refund for all the games I bought over the years, now that said games are heavily discounted or even free in some instances.

No wait, that's just crazy talk :ROFLMAO:

@SpaceAce
Would some kind of Arx starter pack for "old" players be an acceptable compromise for you? (Not saying that Frontier implied anything in that regard)

If Frontier can get away with providing everything free that other have paid for, then there is no longer any valid argument left, as far as I can see, to withhold certain other Game Extras that have been ring-fenced for certain other groups of players - Cobra MKIV, Life-Time Backer stuff, etc.

Rest assured, Frontier, I will be lodging a formal complaint about this when ARX is released (unless something changes positively in the meantime regarding this matter).
y0wrz0S.gif

Top Bottom