Asymmetrical Ship Designs

Wrong franchise :p
Look, it's Millennium Krait MkIII :D

I think the issue is more Disney's lawyers, as soon as something asymmetric gets released comparisons to a certain freighter will ensue....

FDev had to change the description of one of the PS Achievements as it quoted from Star Wars....
Nah, both Star Trek Online and Eve have asymetrical ships.

There is simple way: Asymmetrical ship kits. Or just FDevs could let us to mix existing parts and fit different elements left/right.
We sometimes get kitbash on the pads... but not usually asymmetrically... could be fun!

The consistently symmetric design in the ships is definitive proof atmospheric flight is being planned and will be implemented at some point in the future.

Perfectly possible to make fully functional asymmetric aircraft, it's just slighly harder to balance lift, drag, and the performance of control surfaces.

Even with it's apparent technological regressions in some areas, I think the Elite setting is still broadly more advanced than 1930s Earth.

Which is a complete non issue with our current ships capabilities. Ships in ED are using intelligent vectored thrusters, those thrusters are capable of generating an immense amount of thrust. Fuel consumption also has no correlation to thrust output.

The above means quite a few things... Devs painted themselves into a corner regarding interesting or difficult atmospheric flight, these ships are capable of handling atmospheric flight with ease.

Asymmetric flight would not be an issue, even in an atmosphere with high levels of parasitic drag.

Atomospheric "Flight" as in glide and having control surfaces? Totally. Those thrusters are powerful enough to do all the work. But it can still be difficult. Pilots "could" get buffeted by incredibly strong winds and will have to learn to land using their instruments alone, as the atmosphere obscures all view of the ground. But I dare not venture further into theory crafting for a feature we don't even know exists.

Millennium Falcon is asymmetrical! It has a cockpit in the side of the ship. And is in the top 1% of all freighters out there! And "made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!"

Yup, we need a bridge way off to the side to honour the Patron Saint of Asymmetrical Ships, the Millennium Falcon!!

One reason I've added Raider kits is that it makes the ships asymmetrical, I just like how asymmetricality looks in ship design (I don't use the spikes though, they aren't my thing, and I wish the Krait had more pieces on it, the ship is too wide and there's light seconds between Raider ship kit pieces, but that's a nitpick for another thread).

Yup, we need a bridge way off to the side to honour the Patron Saint of Asymmetrical Ships, the Millennium Falcon!!

One reason I've added Raider kits is that it makes the ships asymmetrical, I just like how asymmetricality looks in ship design (I don't use the spikes though, they aren't my thing, and I wish the Krait had more pieces on it, the ship is too wide and there's light seconds between Raider ship kit pieces, but that's a nitpick for another thread).

Thats the reason I haven't put raider kits on any of my ships, except one time I played with the spikes of a python raider kit but the paint job of pirate faction - that looked MEAN!

Top Bottom