At the end of my wits with connection issues..

Well I dont know what your team has done, but it's gone from bad to worse.

Previously I had to try 2-3 times to connect to the game in different modes, but once i was in the game was stable.

Now when i do get into the game i get disconnected in about 5-10 seconds.

I had this same experience about a week back. I was trying to take some screenshots to show a friend the control layout, and was not even able to bring up a single context menu long enough to take a screenshot before getting a connection error.

Edit - 23:30 18/07 :
In fact as of 11 tonight, it's back. I get about 45 seconds of play every time I log in before a connection error.
Same problem persists on both my wired land line connection and my wireless mobile one. Two completely different connections using different hardware and networks.
Same pattern of it crapping out in the middle of the night every night, as usual.
Same thing of it letting me in for under minute at a time before hitting me with a connection error.

Last edited:
I know this made sound elementary and overly simple, but, just plug the Xbox in. I had issues for a long time connecting wirelessly to my router/modem. I just assumed it was on FDev's end...then one day, I got fed up and thought, I wonder would these issues go away if I hardwired the XBox into the router/modem. Since that day, it's a night and day difference.

Plug it in.

Disclaimer: IT expert speaking here.
I must second this. Use a cable. Wireless is a stop-gap for emergencies and getting something faster and cheaper than your 4G data plan when on your phone or tablet at Starbucks. I use a cable whenever anything requiring snappy live connections is in use. Wireless doesn't cut it, especially when your voice chatting or even livestreaming at the same time. You can't expect a wireless connection not to flake out in live sessions, it's that simple.

Disclaimer: IT expert speaking here.
I must second this. Use a cable. I use a cable whenever anything requiring snappy live connections is in use. Wireless doesn't cut it, especially when your voice chatting or even livestreaming at the same time. You can't expect a wireless connection not to flake out in live sessions, it's that simple.

Eh, while this is just good advice I'd always advocate anyway, it's not really productive here, since this problem isn't with wireless signal.
It happens equally often on wired as wireless connections, and if I get connection errors on one type of connection, router, or ISP, they are still there if I try another.
My home connection has always been wired because my building's internal walls are impenetrable to wireless signals, so I'll sing the praises of wired connections 'til the cows come home. But when these errors happen they do not discriminate between wired and wireless. They just persist for a while, wherever you attempt to log in from on whichever connection type, and then eventually go away.
The folks who have experienced them from MTU issues of course, fixed them with something simple which again, has nothing to do with being wired or wireless. The people who fixed them by deleting their xbox saved data, again, nothing to do with connection type.
Good practice is good practice, but unhelpful to this specific issue.

The last couple of days though it seems to not have been quite as bad as earlier in the week. So whatever is causing it may have cleared up, at least for a while. Mostly back then it would be several hour outages of up to half a day or more. Lately I can usually load to my cockpit from the menu within about an hour. Though I no doubt jinxed it by saying so.

As an aside....
Wireless is a stop-gap for emergencies and getting something faster and cheaper than your 4G data plan when on your phone or tablet at Starbucks.
I dunno, my 4g unlimited data plan is pretty handy. It's what I use as a backup when my regular connection at home goes down because some construction ended up cleaving a fibre optic trunk nearby (Literally happened three or four times in the last 20 years, what you get for living near the city centre I guess - you can always tell it's happened if you're out in town bc every store only takes cash for a couple of days) or more commonly, when something more mundane causes an outage. Which is like, once a month. Sure, it only downloads things like patches for my xbox games at around 45, around half of what I'd get on my home connection, but it's good enough for streaming netflix in1080p on my xbox and playing games (I even tether it to my laptop to play games like Warframe and the like when travelling on long train journeys).

Last edited:
Best part of a week with no issues and then today I get dropped roughly every minute. But it's not like the usual thing of getting dropped and staying out for hours, this time it lets me return to the menu screen and log back in, rather than needing to restart the game, and actually loads into the game, before unceremoniously dumping me with a connection error around a minute later each time.

And the servers have gone back to 100% unconnectable all day today.
Eh. Guess today is a Destiny 2 and Elder scrolls Online day.

Edit
Still not made it as far as the main menu, let alone getting a "connection error" message since today has been a day of being trapped on the pre-menu "Logging in" screen.

But I finally got my DARCI in Destiny 2, so eh, win some lose some.

Last edited:
It all boils down to the quality of your wireless router. If you need to upgrade it, I highly suggest to check out this blog about The Best Wireless Routers this 2019. It's about time to do some research on the best brand to buy, it will save you a lot of headaches ;)
What is this "wireless"?

No, seriously, my concrete and rebar interior walls act as a highly effective faraday cage, literally no signal can pass between rooms, so my entire network has always and will always be wired. :p

One upside is not needing to remember to switch off the mic on my wireless XBox headset when I go to the toilet, since it disconnects the moment I step outside the doorway. I'm sure that saves a bunch of embarrassment other gamers get sometimes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom