News Background Simulation - Update (01/03)

• Most cases reported - where you had performed a lot of positive influence actions to a given faction, but saw minimal increases or even a decrease: this is due to the way the system distributes influence and has to keep everything at 100% maximum (this can be lower when some factions in the system are in a conflict).

i've been reading this over an over trying to understand it. previously there was an influence cap (the bottle of wine), so transactions resulting in an influence excess were simply discarded. at least this is how i understood it. once i reached my factions cap there was no more good or bad i could do, additional actions counted for nothing accept some credits.

it sounds like now, even though there is still a cap on daily influence gain, overflow is now being counted beyond the cap pushing a given faction to an influence that can exceed an overall sum of 100% for the system, then redistributing that excess influence to the other factions in order to 'equalize' which effectively removes the cap. or rather re-purposes the cap as a punishment for being reached.

choosing to consider overflow as part of influence gain/loss calculations seems like an odd choice given another BGS change to CZ's...

We've kept the relative balance of how each action is weighted against others, but it should now be much harder to lose a day in a Conflict by accidentally putting positive inputs into your opposing faction.

will you guys add more immediate feedback to influence levels similar to reputation gains on the completion of a mission or other transaction? clearer, cleaner and timely feedback on influence would go a long way in preventing unwanted inputs that can harm my faction.

Last edited:
i've been reading this over an over trying to understand it. previously there was an influence cap (the bottle of wine), so transactions resulting in an influence excess were simply discarded. at least this is how i understood it. once i reached my factions cap there was no more good or bad i could do, additional actions counted for nothing accept some credits.

I think you are trying to read more into this (your first quoted section) than there is. It's just saying if you increase one all the others go down because the total pie doesn't change - presumably many of the reports FDev are seeing are just that simple.

One of the systems I have an interest in is controlled by a faction put in place by the local powerplay team (a feudal faction in Hudson space). My preferred faction controls the other two ports in the system and maintaining my influence level between the controlling faction and all the others is difficult - it's a more stable system if I just leave it alone. A recent Thargoid attack has rocked the boat significantly making large influence swings way too easy. I can sit in the repairing port with a bunch of polymers, ceramic composites, aluminium etc & just complete loads of fetch missions without even leaving the dock. Kinda silly really but it means I can help every faction but one I want to push out if I want to just by helping all the others more than I help them ;)

Last edited:
I think you are trying to read more into this (your first quoted section) than there is. It's just saying if you increase one all the others go down because the total pie doesn't change - presumably many of the reports FDev are seeing are just that simple.

One of the systems I have an interest in is controlled by a faction put in place by the local powerplay team (a feudal faction in Hudson space). My preferred faction controls the other two ports in the system and maintaining my influence level between the controlling faction and all the others is difficult - it's a more stable system if I just leave it alone. A recent Thargoid attack has rocked the boat significantly making large influence swings way too easy. I can sit in the repairing port with a bunch of polymers, ceramic composites, aluminium etc & just complete loads of fetch missions without even leaving the dock. Kinda silly really but it means I can help every faction but one I want to push out if I want to just by helping all the others more than I help them ;)

that's why i keep looking at that line confused, because the way you are describing it is the way i've been familiar with for a long time - i.e. factions that don't contribute to the days influence get their wine taken.

but the way that FDev bullet point is worded makes it seem like reaching the cap causes positive inputs to be given to other factions, and possibly giving negative inputs to the faction you reached an influence cap on. i've been torn away from my gaming rig so i've not had a chance to play for quite some time and test it out personally.

Last edited:
What Dissappearing Stars? Can you link what you are talking about? becuase I would Love to read up on it and surely it been mentioned somewhere.

Is it possible for anyone to take Alioth independents faction stations an put them in the hands of the Turner research group? Or is it locked an not possible because of the Alioth perment being in the hands of Alioth independents? I’m new to the forums. Hope it’s not a stupid question. Just seems to not be possible. Anyone?

Is it possible for anyone to take Alioth independents faction stations an put them in the hands of the Turner research group? Or is it locked an not possible because of the Alioth perment being in the hands of Alioth independents? I’m new to the forums. Hope it’s not a stupid question. Just seems to not be possible. Anyone?
The Alioth system is one of the few systems which is locked for BGS activity - no factions can expand into it, and factions there can't have conflicts.

The others are Sol, Achenar, Shinrarta Dezhra, Colonia and Ratraii (and all detention centres, but they're a bit different)

The Alioth system is one of the few systems which is locked for BGS activity - no factions can expand into it, and factions there can't have conflicts.

The others are Sol, Achenar, Shinrarta Dezhra, Colonia and Ratraii (and all detention centres, but they're a bit different)

Thanks. Bill Turner has something I want. Something we all want. Trying to figure out the steps to acquire it.

I hate you guys! i was hesitant to buy this game, after i said ok let's do it and after i bought the game i can't stop playing it hahah GOOD JOB GUYS!

To provide some anecdotal evidence I have now won two wars since the changes posted in the OP.

The first war was ongoing (3-0 to me uncontested) and when the rules were updated I was declared victor the following day (ie my actions shortened the war).

The second war ended on 3-1 with only the first day (where I was still busy with the other one) lost to me. So IME it's first past the post to 3 days & the war ends.

In every CZ instance I ran it to completion (victory) then returned to the station to cash in around 250kCr in bonds, then returned to the fight about 2-3 times per day. In most cases they were low CZs (closer to the station) but some were medium. I haven't seen a high CZ spawn for either war. Both systems are low population, low traffic.

I have an ongoing (contested) election too and the status so far is 2-0 to me, I should win it tomorrow afternoon (assuming I win the day).

ymmv.

My election got to 3-0 and I won it today - on the fourth day. Same as for the wars. Overall I don't really see the point in changing the way wars work (at this level, I quite like that CZs have an end now) but it works well enough that I can make predictions so I'm happy. The faction that lost the war has effectively been protected from losing too much inf - my actions would previously have been enough to put them into single figure inf, if not retreat which in this case would be a desirable and fitting outcome.

ETA and now another war has started in the system (two different factions). Were they waiting for the Election to end?

Last edited:
yes, yes Yessssss :) bit late I know but I not a person who followers the fd_devs around.... those are just weirdo's [haha]

thanks will and brett(steam) for info

Last edited:
So is it still being fixed or are they done playing with the bgs?
I'm still seeing errors with war influence, black box and illegal Black Box missions not to mention anything having to do with scans on the surface from outposts to heavily guarded bases that show negative influence results on the next day and some in mission rewards

I don't record details so I can't verify that the number add up but as far as I can tell my actions have the intended effect. I can start a war/election, win it, raise influence with bonds/vouchers/missions, I haven't managed to force a retreat yet but expansions aren't out of control any more.

My region has relatively low activity, enough that as a single player I am able to affect it by maxing out my daily quota. I can't speak for multi-player instances & transactions.

Top Bottom