Backup Power Supply Module?

SO I am way out in the black on the DW2 expedition and I have no idea why I did not think to post this sooner.
The AFMU can repair every other module besides itself and the Power plant. The logic being that the module has to be powered off for this to work. Makes sense, so my question is why is there not a secondary optional Power supply module for this purpose?
The gist of the idea is that this Auxiliary power module(s) would do a combination of the following.
  1. Allow the shut down of the main power plant so that AFMU would be able to do repairs to it by providing a small pool of power to run it and maybe something like life support and communications.
  2. Provide main power at the cost of additional heat and fuel consumption, IE more MWatts of power to run more modules.
  3. Provide a boost to the Capacitors (power distributor) in either total capacity or regeneration similar to a Shield cell bank.
  4. Provide additional Pips to the power distributor and/or make it so that the pips provide more of a bonus.
This list could feasibly be broken up into 3 mods that would be fairly balanced from what I know of the game and Definitely add a lot of potential thought to how a commander would build their ship.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Been suggested, I see no logic preventing such a module and support this suggestion. It is most likely one of those "these are the rules so shut up" gameplay balancing mechanics, allowing PP sniping and all, so don't get your hopes up.

I wouldn't mind an APU (auxiliary power unit) module, but I would prefer some actual risks be introduced prior to it's implementation.

As it stands, the fact that the the PP cannot be repaired is the sole limitation on endurance we have and it requires a fair degree of recklessness or significant misfortune for it to be damaged.

Get repair limpets.

They don't repair the powerplant.

Sounds like a change is needed so that they will repair the PP if it is shut down... repair limpets targeting their launching ship should not self destruct if the ship shuts everything down.

Lestat

Banned
So you're asking to eliminate All risk of exploration. You have a ship that self sustain in the deep. Oh, let not forget Repair reboot function that harvests part of working modules to repair part of the Power Plant.

As to your Idea, I say NO. We have multiple stations in the deep that can repair due to someone mistakes.

Just found someone on the Dangerous Discussion forum. Have you seen anything like this. He been out for 3 years no repairs.

Last edited:
SO I am way out in the black on the DW2 expedition and I have no idea why I did not think to post this sooner.
The AFMU can repair every other module besides itself and the Power plant. The logic being that the module has to be powered off for this to work. Makes sense, so my question is why is there not a secondary optional Power supply module for this purpose?
The gist of the idea is that this Auxiliary power module(s) would do a combination of the following.
  1. Allow the shut down of the main power plant so that AFMU would be able to do repairs to it by providing a small pool of power to run it and maybe something like life support and communications.
  2. Provide main power at the cost of additional heat and fuel consumption, IE more MWatts of power to run more modules.
  3. Provide a boost to the Capacitors (power distributor) in either total capacity or regeneration similar to a Shield cell bank.
  4. Provide additional Pips to the power distributor and/or make it so that the pips provide more of a bonus.
This list could feasibly be broken up into 3 mods that would be fairly balanced from what I know of the game and Definitely add a lot of potential thought to how a commander would build their ship.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
i don't need extra power or boost for any other modules, just give me the ability to repair my main power plant with AFMU+(Auxiliary Power) or other mechanic, i don't care. i would like to stay longer in space and i don't want to limit my exploration time just to fix my power plant.

The Replicated Man

T
i don't need extra power or boost for any other modules, just give me the ability to repair my main power plant with AFMU+(Auxiliary Power) or other mechanic, i don't care. i would like to stay longer in space and i don't want to limit my exploration time just to fix my power plant.
That would be overpowered at that point. Not going to happen. Game is working as intended.

I'd very much like to see supplementary/auxiliary power plants for ships. Probably don't make them as efficient nor as powerful as equivalently sized regular power plants, such as making them similar in specs to a power plant a size and grade below their required slot (for example, making a 3B Aux PP provide the power and efficiency of a 2C regular PP). To account for different efficiencies, a priority order could be set up to always attempt to draw power from the highest efficiency power plants and only resort to lower efficiency ones in case of emergency.

As pointed out, it would allow for greater build flexibility (ships daring to use something other than reinforced PP or undersized overcharged?), help hull tanking be a thing as well as give AFMUs a bit more of a lease of life.

I don't think that they should affect the distributor at all though, they are completely separate modules after all so it makes no sense for them to interact like that, on top of likely being a balancing nightmare. However, a supplementary distributor optional internal module on the other hand...

I'd very much like to see supplementary/auxiliary power plants for ships. Probably don't make them as efficient nor as powerful as equivalently sized regular power plants, such as making them similar in specs to a power plant a size and grade below their required slot (for example, making a 3B Aux PP provide the power and efficiency of a 2C regular PP). To account for different efficiencies, a priority order could be set up to always attempt to draw power from the highest efficiency power plants and only resort to lower efficiency ones in case of emergency.

As pointed out, it would allow for greater build flexibility (ships daring to use something other than reinforced PP or undersized overcharged?), help hull tanking be a thing as well as give AFMUs a bit more of a lease of life.

I don't think that they should affect the distributor at all though, they are completely separate modules after all so it makes no sense for them to interact like that, on top of likely being a balancing nightmare. However, a supplementary distributor optional internal module on the other hand...
I would be happy with an oversized and underpowered "auxiliary powerplant"/standby emergency generator as an additional module for an optional slot, so everyone can decide for themselves whether he needs it in his ship. The supplementary/auxiliary/emergency/standby powerplant/generator (or what ever wording for that module) just need enough power for one AFMU, to repair main powerplant, nothing more (for me). The Standby generator can have same slot size or bigger as AFMU to generate enough power for them and consume some kind of fuel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom