Best beginner mining ships 3.3

So 3.3 overhauled mining so much that all that tedium that drove me away is fixed, and mining could actually be both fun and profitable. So, all I need now is a ship to get started. I don't want anything too expensive, yet, just to be on a safe side, and it looks to me like speed/agilty could come in handy.

Suggestions?

Edit-
List of ships suggested, minus any I would never use or can't access (Cobra IV):
-Adder
-Viper IV
-Cobra III
-Keelback
-Asp X
-Clipper
-FDS
-FAS
-Krait Phantom
-Krait Mk II
-Python

Edit 2-
Most popular ships with very little weaknesses:
-Viper IV
-Cobra III
-Asp X
-FDS
-Clipper
-Krait Phantom
-Krait Mk II

Edit 3-
My personal picks after looking at Coriolis.io:
-Viper Mk IV
-Asp X
-Clipper
-Krait Mk II
-Python

Last edited:
A Viper IV can hold a motherlode and is fast and agile enough to forgo collection limpets. You easily make the ship's investment back with one motherlode.

FAS -> Python or Krait. I tried on T10, but it is way too big for the Deep Core Mining, with a huge amount of movement inertia. My choice is Python, also because it has central HP, which is good for Sub Surface Disp missles, because in current state of the game it can be painful to aim these if placed on sides.

Last edited:
Why you need more? Two seismic missles. Sub surface mining is more of the waste of the time in current state. I made around 12M with just core mining in around 40 minutes, and I guess it is possible to do a lot more. Sub surface is when you need something specific for mission.

I spent several hours yesterday core mining with the Krate MkII, which works well apart from the visibility is poor (especially in VR) due to the super structure above.

So today I tried the Imperial Clipper and love it. It is a joy to fly, fast and more manoeuvrable than the Python or Krait. In my view manoeuvrability is very important for core mining, plus the speed between asteroids. It also has plenty of cargo space after fitting the required modules.

The only compromise is it only has 4 hard points (I just swap the subsurface missile or mining laser for a weapon) which are widely spaced, but you soon get used to the aiming points.

The Clipper also has panoramic views out of the cockpit to look for the core asteroids while speeding along :)

Most basic bare-bones starter for deep-core is going to be the Adder. The suggestion of a Viper IV is also a good one, for a modest price bump.

I spent several hours yesterday core mining with the Krate MkII, which works well apart from the visibility is poor (especially in VR) due to the super structure above.

So today I tried the Imperial Clipper and love it. It is a joy to fly, fast and more manoeuvrable than the Python or Krait. In my view manoeuvrability is very important for core mining, plus the speed between asteroids. It also has plenty of cargo space after fitting the required modules.

The only compromise is it only has 4 hard points (I just swap the subsurface missile or mining laser for a weapon) which are widely spaced, but you soon get used to the aiming points.

The Clipper also has panoramic views out of the cockpit to look for the core asteroids while speeding along :)

You are the first person to mention the clipper. I remember that being one of the best miners before the update, but so much has changed I'm not going to assume anything.

Why do you think no one else has mentioned it?

How much money do you have to spend? That’ll help us give better advice.

I can earn what I need, I have other ships. However, you can discount any L class ships I think, bar the clipper and orca. They are likely too slow, or too large, to be effective at 3.3 mining. However, if someone proves me wrong, I'll be happy to change my mind.

Also, I want easy accessibility. A ship I can learn mining in and not struggle too much, and not have to worry about being chased by inevitable pirates. Easy mode mining.

If you want to do the Deep core mining with a small ship the Viper IV lays out pretty well, the Cobra III is tight for slots but do-able, moving up, the Keelback is pretty comparable to Cobra IV. Things really start to get right with the Asp Explorer and the Dropship. My favorite is the Krait II and the Python will be really good. After that, pick you're favorite large and fit it out, plenty of internals and mounts, though the T9 hard points are a bit spread out to be really good if you want to deep core mine.

+1

T6. The best small (non combat) ship in the game, buy a LONG way. It does everything well!

That maybe so... Except it is a medium ship. Not a great miner due to the small power distributor and 2 small hard points. Totally worthless for deep core mining due to the lack of a medium point or a small seismic.

Last edited:
You only need 1 medium and 1 small hardpoint for Core Mining. Siesmic Launcher and an Abrasive blaster. No mining laser or Subsurface missiles. 1 Collector limpet is all you need, manual scooping is possible but doesn't work properly like the chunks are too big. T6 cannot do Core Mining

Ships
Absolute basic:
- Adder manual scooping arg
Small :
- Viper 4
- Cobra 3
Medium
- Cobra 4 best
- Keelback works but you will only have 32T cargo space.
- ASP Explorer is perfect
Medium premium
- Krait
-Python
- FDS
- Clipper!!! is boss

Top Bottom