Patch Notes Update Beta 2.2 - Update 7

Sorry, havent been following the system scan discussion, whats the latest news regarding that?

- You will still find all the planets and stars of the system when using ADS
- To see the planets terrain shapes when zooming in you need DDS, otherwise its that wireframe model?
- In the system map you can still see if theres ELW/WW/anything nice 100000Ls away from the main star?

Correct?

Theoretically yes, though right now there's a bug where the third part doesn't work and all planets are greyed out after the honk. (Some dormant gene from the original design idea. :) ) It will be reverted to what you said.

Last edited:
Sorry, havent been following the system scan discussion, whats the latest news regarding that?

- To see the planets terrain shapes when zooming in you need DDS, otherwise its that wireframe model?
- In the system map you can still see if theres ELW/WW/anything nice 100000Ls away from the main star?

Correct?

Not sure about the bolded bit - I think I read you only need a targeted scan, with any discovery scanner.

Correct?
Almost – according to Michael Brookes you won’t need the DSS to see terrain in a planetary map; a basic scan (with just your sensors, i.e. level 2 scan) will suffice.

In some systems the controlling faction owned only a settlement (the ones where you can't dock), meaning that the ways of interacting with the faction were limited (i.e. no missions etc.). So they have been changed to outposts where you can dock.

So they physically added new bases to dock at?

Regarding the scan system and whenever or not bodies should be surface revealed or not after honking the ADS: imo the real issue with this is that scans hardly matter past namestamping.

For example, there are maybe hundreds if not more systems in the bubble that are low population and therefore not charted by default and thousands of players have atleast partially scanned these, and guess what? They are STILL not charted.
This is the real problem with exploration, well one it's major problems anyways.

Now getting back to the revealed vs unrevealed topic: if the system would work differently in a way where discoverers are actually charting the galaxy instead of just namestamping things, then a solution could simply be that the first ADS honking will leave you with the black blobs, but if someone already brought the data back then that system should be atleast visually revealed, whenever or not the honking should then still be a requirement and if one brought back data set is enough or if it should be 100 is a different topic.

I personally would prefer things to be visually revealed right away, but that's because I find SnailCruise to be a major timewaste during exploration. Most time is spent going from a to b instead of actually seeing things.
In a game like Just Cause or Minecraft you have lots and LOTS of different landscape around you so you're already seeing interesting things while going from a to b, and I get often enough sidetracked from that when I play JC3.
In ED? Well, there's spacedust, and more spacedust, and guess what, even more spacedust. That's it, that's ALL you see while going from a to b, so I can simply not see or agree on the point of SnailCruise's slow accel/decel.
Sense of scale might be an argument given, but that loses it's validity to the fact that you not even get a sense of speed from the lack of everythings in space, and yes I know that it's that empty between things, it's being forced to watch the ETA for dozens of minutes while flying in a straight line that bothers the hell out of me.
So yeah, I'll take instant reveal so I can rule out boring planets before going to them.

Take those you have to Qwent & then come back for more?
Maybe they're for a mod? Like a couple dozen attempts?
I got like 12 on me too and none are meant for that guy <.<

Also I am so glad that they only make you a nicer target in the bubble, when I went out for getting my 5k for fricking Palin I was afraid the pitas would follow me all the way out there but nope, very peaceful out here :3
Boring and empty, save for the spacedust, but atleast peaceful.

Regarding the scan system and whenever or not bodies should be surface revealed or not after honking the ADS: imo the real issue with this is that scans hardly matter past namestamping.

Now getting back to the revealed vs unrevealed topic: if the system would work differently in a way where discoverers are actually charting the galaxy instead of just namestamping things, then a solution could simply be that the first ADS honking will leave you with the black blobs, but if someone already brought the data back then that system should be at least visually revealed, whenever or not the honking should then still be a requirement and if one brought back data set is enough or if it should be 100 is a different topic.

Haven't heard of "Taking Information Back" before. Where do you take the info?

just a few ideas

1- Color blind settings: anything red (text and sensor indicators) must be turned to a color that contrast the dark backgrounds.

2- Color blind settings: hostile npc or player ships that are normally red, should have circles that flash when they fire their weapons.

3- Color blind settings: Canisters (though, can stay white) should change shape to a diamond.

4- Color blind settings: on sensors, npc and authority npc, (though can stay the colors they are for now) should change shapes. Particularly authority npc should change to a star shape when hard points are deployed and a hexagon when retracted.

5- HUD color controls for customization like PC Mod with color pickers for elements.

6- in galaxy map> bookmarks, the delete option and plot route options should switch places to prevent accidental deletions.

7- bookmarks should be in the left nav panel above system map and galaxy map buttons.

8- contacts tab of the left nav panel should have filters like (canisters, materials, mining fragments, unscanned objects or ships, scanned objects or ships, hostile, friendly, neutral [authority])

9- while watching a live stream from commander Josh hawkin, a suggestion to show the schematic of where the module is to be placed during outfitting.

10- debug camera should always be behind and above the ship (not under the ship like my experience with my type 7, where it is stuck under the landing pad)

11- griefers and pirates are not the same. Pirates will ask for something but griefers shoot and ruin the game for everyone. Therefore:

11A) killing a pilot (human) should have exponentially more severe repercussions. For example, bounties should be in millions or billions where a large portion the griefed rebuy cost is deducted from all the griefers involved or in the same wing.

11B) griefers are to be hunted by all authority vessels are are marked for all pilots to see and hunt them with great rewards.

11C) to distinguish between pirates and griefers a 30 second window should be allowed for commanders to communicate (text or voice) after the interdiction, allowing the interdicted ship to escape or "parley". Otherwise this is a griefer and punishment is due if the interdicted ship is destroyed.

11D) NPC pirates do not count as they are not human.

11E) deploying hard points by the interdicted first is a defensive sign. If the interdictor deployed first without firing, it is a sign of aggression and a fine is issued.

11F) if the interdicted fires first fines are issued. Unless the interdictor is wanted.

11G) if the interdicted is wanted, it is open season.

12- the ability to bind 2 or more buttons to an action for Xbox....

13- Space Loach accessory to sprawl across the dashboard where it can be affected by turns and turbulence but never fall or cover the sensors.

sorry if the colors were messed up. I think I fixed it.

Please bring back the surface detailing on planets in the system scan. As far as immersion goes the tech of this age should easily be capable of this and a close up scan should reveal any POI on the surface.

The dissenters obviouslt want to make a rod for their own back. Tech is supposed to make life easier.

Please bring back the surface detailing on planets in the system scan. As far as immersion goes the tech of this age should easily be capable of this and a close up scan should reveal any POI on the surface.

The dissenters obviously want to make a rod for their own back. Tech is supposed to make life easier.

I agree here without meaning to create issue with those who prefer the other options. Having played the game for two years, I want quality of life improvements and I don't want to spend 20 mins of my real life each time, having to fly up close to planets just to get the details.. crazy. We can only take the simulation as far as realistically possible before its boring or if not boring, intrusive into our real lives just to achieve progress. We are in danger of marking this game a huge turn off for less hard core players.

Ok so some suggestions for today's game since I've made a comment: different scanners do different things, an advanced will give you all the details, a basic will not. Or allow players to set the option in the game settings; everyone is then happy.

Ok some suggestions for the game 3 years hence... player walks to scanner station and using telemetry data and other scans to build a picture of the system. The player may be able to select bodies from schematics and point telescopes at the planet, zoom in, reading both geographic features and also chemical elements (optical spectrometer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_spectrometer), or traces of signals from ancient civilizations or other more recent crashed ships; a mini game in the game; from there able to plot a course and visit the site. I'd like this. Readings of periodic elements, weather patterns, minerals available, persistent POIs. Tune into and read / listen to distress or other broadcasts. Multi crew.. one operator could be doing just this. Healthy scientific update for exploring.

Whilst I'm giving ideas... I'd like to also highlight on the HUD stars or other items as a point of reference.. For example, I would like to select say 6 objects that are important to me, or from a filter, 6 objects (systems for example) that are within jump range that are at x status, or sell x product, or etc etc.. I'd also like to show the destination system on the HUD - star ringed with text - and maybe the next 1 or two immediate stars in the route, including if they are scoop-able. The icon would be different to a target (as current) system or body and the icon / text would need to fade out if behind the current next target. Perhaps we could scroll forward and backward thru the entire route laid out before us, with a slight camera zoom and alignment within the centre HUD. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom