Patch Notes Update Beta 2.2 - Update 7

Is there any chance to join smaller ships again?
What about Solving Commodity Storage, especially for Commodities needed for Engineers?

It would be great if surface scans also populated the map with POIs, thus removing the need to use the blue circle mechanic. We could still have the wave scanner for the outcrops and such.
You know, adding a bit deterministic behavior to the gameplay. Also, we'd be encouraged to carry those scanners with us to really discover what's on a planet.

Agreed 👍

This is how I always thought it should work. However organic things I think shouldn't show from it, leaving/putting back some of the SRV discovery

Just for clarity: FD commented that not seeing the texture on the system map is a bug. The supposed feature is not seeing the planetary map.

Hello Zac and thank you for another update! I know it's getting a bit too late for... well, everything, but still, mind if i just repost my post about torpedoes and hope for an answer? :)

I know balancing is hard, but even the fact that this is a known problem would make me less of a sad panda.

they should give the ships, well the bigger ships torpedo racks instead of just 1 or 2 tubes. =/

EDIT: Been confirmed as a bug. FDEV are, however, moving the originally touted QoL feature (3D surface map) behind a Detailed Surface Scan - which is pointless and disappointing.

This is truly terrible FDEV.

It has officially ruined my immersion because you have removed the telescopes from the basic scanner.

Awful, awful thing.

http://i.imgur.com/YKODqKI.png

Disagree - this is how it should ALWAYS have been. But I see they're reverting it so you get your wish (although you'll need a scan to populate the surface map) - you can keep on cherrypicking the planets you scan if that's your style (somewhat mercenary though that exploration approach may be).

So instead of black spheres in the system map which is meant to be a bug, the system map should show no planets at all if the system has not been scanned. Once a basic scan has been done the system map will look as it usually always has with all planets showing up as normnal.
But, if you want to see the full surface rendering of the planet surface, you have to detail scan the planet. Is that right ?
That would make sense to me.

Disppointed there have been no UI changes though as a couple of things really do need changing (NPC fighter chatter text colour, moving 'Star Class' to middle UI element, losing the 'Press 'x' to abort jump' dialog altogether as it's needless handholding.)
See here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...UI-I-think-should-change-before-2-2-goes-live

So instead of black spheres in the system map which is meant to be a bug, the system map should show no planets at all if the system has not been scanned. Once a basic scan has been done the system map will look as it usually always has with all planets showing up as normnal.
But, if you want to see the full surface rendering of the planet surface, you have to detail scan the planet. Is that right ?
That would make sense to me.

That's how I understood it, based on Mike's posts:

No scan = no planets (except for, like in 2.1, the stuff floating around immediately next to the central star)
Discovery scan = thumbnails of planets within discovery scanner range, but no surface map through zooming in (i.e. the now familiar blue grid)
Planetary scan (level 2 or level 3 = DSS) = detailed surface textures, presumably zoomable and rotatable

Black planets = currently considered a bug

So FD gave in and moved the QoL feature of seeing the planet surface in the surface map behind a basic scan... Thereby rendering this feature useless to me. I often skip the icy and rocky worlds when exploring because they're so plentiful. I would have used this feature when exploring to actually see if there were any planets with interesting features worth visiting. What's the point in having the feature when many of these scanned systems will never be revisited, and what's the point in giving us a preview of what the planet actually looks like AFTER we've already gotten close enough to see it for ourselves?

Last edited:
I actually like it as it is. The thrill of surface scanning a grey blob and finding it to be an ELW is much better than {almost} knowing it was there from the initial system scan.

Another point - why do we get to see a detailed surface map of landable objects but not other worlds we have detailed surface scanned ? ?

Last edited:
Beta 6 introduced a bug where the NPC contolling the mothership ingores the command to keep position. Has this been fixed ?

The stupid NPC banged my Anaconda several times on the ground when I was flying the fighter close to the ground because of this.

EDIT: Been confirmed as a bug. FDEV are, however, moving the originally touted QoL feature (3D surface map) behind a Detailed Surface Scan - which is pointless and disappointing.

This is truly terrible FDEV.

It has officially ruined my immersion because you have removed the telescopes from the basic scanner.

Awful, awful thing.

http://i.imgur.com/YKODqKI.png

OMG you can only see the surface after you scanned it?
How illogical !
Not. This makes totally sense.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

...and what's the point in giving us a preview of what the planet actually looks like AFTER we've already gotten close enough to see it for ourselves?

Wrong. When you reach the distance to scan you can´t see any details yet.

This is a big bad no no for geyser hunters. I guess they wanted to make it so hard that no one is ever going to go after them.

OMG you can only see the surface after you scanned it?
How illogical !
Not. This makes totally sense.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Wrong. When you reach the distance to scan you can´t see any details yet.

There's not a great difference in that distance when you're traveling to a planet 200,000Ls away from the entry point. It's those planets where this feature would be especially particularly useful for.

Top Bottom