Patch Notes Update Beyond - Chapter Four - Beta (Week 2)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Patch notes don't say

"Discovery scanner has been restored and now works the way it always has since Elite Dangerous launch"

nor do they say

"FSS mechanism was a bad idea and will be dropped in favour of a nice simple and sensible system."

nor do they say

"HUD mode switching removed as it's not really needed and serves no purpose"

So on that front I'm less than enthused. [knocked out]

Like the idea of squadrons, but they sound like a condoned way of ganking other players. I guarantee that the first people to adopt it will use it for just this purpose.

The mining sounds interesting, but I'm yet to try it. I just hope it's not a messy to use as the FSS system.

I'm also pleased by the rapid fixing of several bugs especially for VR players.

So still downloading will rage more when I've tried it. :D

PS has the anaconda flight mechanic been changed, it seems a bit more lively in the handling department. Can we keep it that way please? :)

I'm assuming if it does not support "remote download", we can still visit the Nav beacon and scan it directly. I'm all for the new exploration tools, but I shouldn't need them in populated systems. Even my small hometown has a Tourist Information Center :D
There's no remote scanning the nav beacon to get the system map. You can still get the data directly from it though.

Patch notes don't say

"Discovery scanner has been restored and now works the way it always has since Elite Dangerous launch"

nor do they say

"FSS mechanism was a bad idea and will be dropped in favour of a nice simple and sensible system."

nor do they say

"HUD mode switching removed as it's not really needed and serves no purpose"

So on that front I'm less than enthused. [knocked out]

Like the idea of squadrons, but they sound like a condoned way of ganking other players. I guarantee that the first people to adopt it will use it for just this purpose.

The mining sounds interesting, but I'm yet to try it. I just hope it's not a messy to use as the FSS system.

I'm also pleased by the rapid fixing of several bugs especially for VR players.

So still downloading will rage more when I've tried it. :D

PS has the anaconda flight mechanic been changed, it seems a bit more lively in the handling department. Can we keep it that way please? :)

It's funny how different people are different isn't it!?. I am not saying you are wrong but I am polar opposite to you (apart from squashing bugs that is always good).

I like the new scanning , am not bothered about squadrons either way and I think the anaconda handles way way to well, I hate how it can turn on a 6 pence I think big ships should handle like big ships.

Fdevs are you going to do anything at all for the limpet controller issue ingame or are we just going to ignore the fact that we have more than a dozen controllers to choose from, some of which with very limited function, and all of them require cargo ammunition?

Do you think this is a good design decision especially with all the new mechanics introduced in 3.3? If yes, can I ask why?

About squadrons, would they work cross platform? That is, you set up a squadron on PC, and it would appear on PS4 too?

Last edited:
R.i.P. my 980Ti

VR

• Capped the frame rate whilst on the main menu to 90fps, to stop HMD's overheating

:O

So now that explains why my 980Ti exploded last Thursday - it's not just the HMD this effects. I was taking a break from the beta and as I normally do I quit to the main menu and put my HMD to one side. I wondered off for a few minutes then came back into the room, moments later my PC shut down. Approaching the PC I could smell that something bad had happened and some component had gone pop. Turns out the 980Ti had overheated because even after around 10 minutes it was baking hot whereas the rest of the PC was cooled down.

I know I can't prove this but I swear this is exactly what happened and it's too much of a coincidence that this was not the cause. Even during hot summer I was not seeing any heat issues with my PC and now it's pretty cool in my living room.

Anyway, a few days later and €460 poorer I now have a new 1070Ti, but boy is anything else more powerful and newer so damned expensive. I'm just glad I wasn't able to play again until this patched version was released - at least I hope it's fixed [where is it]

:O

So now that explains why my 980Ti exploded last Thursday - it's not just the HMD this effects. I was taking a break from the beta and as I normally do I quit to the main menu and put my HMD to one side. I wondered off for a few minutes then came back into the room, moments later my PC shut down. Approaching the PC I could smell that something bad had happened and some component had gone pop. Turns out the 980Ti had overheated because even after around 10 minutes it was baking hot whereas the rest of the PC was cooled down.

I know I can't prove this but I swear this is exactly what happened and it's too much of a coincidence that this was not the cause. Even during hot summer I was not seeing any heat issues with my PC and now it's pretty cool in my living room.

Anyway, a few days later and €460 poorer I now have a new 1070Ti, but boy is anything else more powerful and newer so damned expensive. I'm just glad I wasn't able to play again until this patched version was released - at least I hope it's fixed [where is it]

No, I think you had another fault that killed your graphics card, my Rift is plugged in all of the time, when the PC is shut down the rift is also. The framerate cap is 90Hz (the maximum) which is whilst the headset is in use, not while idle (no display on headset while idle).

Perhaps your fan(s) failed :)
But it sounds like a good excuse to get a newer card :)

Last edited:
There's no remote scanning the nav beacon to get the system map. You can still get the data directly from it though.

So why are people lamenting that the new "everyone gets one" scanner makes nav beacons obsolete? I'd much rather scan the nav beacon and get the entire system map in one quick go if the alternative is "dialing the radio" like we do in deep space exploration. If anything, the new system should make nav beacons even more relevant, since we can't reveal the system map with a simple honk anymore, assuming I understand your post correctly.

Any idea where the Mamba can be located? I'm at Jameson and expected to find it here but nope....
Hello.
If you are interested, then in the system "Delkar" 7 giant, NPS fly to the "mamba" - they hunt for the owners of Paynit
__

Rank - Elite;
Fighting: - very mediocre;
Overheating of the power plant - fatally..
__

but this is just an NPC

Hello.
If you are interested, then in the system "Delkar" 7 giant, NPS fly to the "mamba" - they hunt for the owners of Paynit
__

Rank - Elite;
Fighting: - very mediocre;
Overheating of the power plant - fatally..
__

but this is just an NPC

Cool, thank you. I'll have to jump over and check it out.

Also curious about if any parts, if not all, of the new update is going to be available for non-Horizons players

If your "PvP" bounty hunt feature requires arbitrarily setting prices on players heads, then I would suggest that this feature would immediately be used to transfer money from cheating alt accounts to primary accounts and vice versa. In other words, credit laundering.

Any feature in the game would have to be very careful about allowing players to set the value of something and then be allowed to move that from player to player easily.

BTW, it's 4 years now and Frontier Development still hasn't fixed cold Y-Dwarf stars that are colder than your ship causing your ship to heat up and take heat damage as well as emit purple light when the only light emitted would be infrared (like all things above absolute zero emit).

There's plenty of low hanging fruit out there that hasn't been picked. But I'd be very wary of anything that allows direct player to player trading that doesn't consider the immediate and 100% guaranteed to occur, abuse of the feature.

So why are people lamenting that the new "everyone gets one" scanner makes nav beacons obsolete? I'd much rather scan the nav beacon and get the entire system map in one quick go if the alternative is "dialing the radio" like we do in deep space exploration. If anything, the new system should make nav beacons even more relevant, since we can't reveal the system map with a simple honk anymore, assuming I understand your post correctly.

Because you can scan a system much quicker then flying to a nav beacon and scanning it. Also as there is now the shared discoveries, most or all systems in the bubble will already be fully mapped after a honk.

The only thing that would need sorting would be the USSs which shouldn't take much time at all. Much quicker then flying to the Nav Beacon and scanning it.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom