Bindings nightmare

Well, I know this topic is raised from time to time and I am not the first and not the last. It will be long and grumpy post.

Out of curiosity, I've decided to count how many bindings do we currently have. As of now this data is not 100% accurate since I am kinda bad at math w/ hangover. Data taken from current ALPHA + more keys will be added (medpack, shield cell, etc.) so exact precise number is not relevant. What more or less relevant is overall magnitude of numbers.

Currently in options we have 32 openable submenus (FLIGHT CONTROLS, DRIVING, TARGETING, ON FOOT, etc.) with overall 388 possible things that you can BIND on keys. I did a rough calculations, counting only buttons - skipping axis altogether.

Now, I know some certain portion of these is not needed + some things duplicate, but still - we have almost close to 400 things we can bind.

I bought a CM3 throttle from Virpil and VPC stick and enjoying both immensely, however in ED as I figured out I can't program more than 32 buttons since ED uses some kind of ancient directX or something and need to mess with virtual joysticks to use throttle buttons more or less fully. This is totally nuts and needs a change. This is simply biggest disrespect from Frontier to PC playerbase that uses something else to play except beloved controller devs use nowadays to test and build things around when developing ED further (this is quite obvious now with all these strange item wheels we see now in alpha).

We, PC players just want to be heard. Please, FD, add this to your priorities somewhere higher. I know you're busy. But you can't ignore this issue any more it's simply not an option at this point.

1. Please update DirectX or whatever it is that limits us to use only 32 keys per device. It's a joke in a game with 400 bindings.

2. Please take some time and redesign controls section.

It's bloated out of proportion now. No search. Not intuitive. Not easy to use. Wanna change some binding for on foot? Scroll down, open submenu, scroll. Sometimes people spend 10-20-30 minutes a session to rebind controls instead of playing, please make life easier for them, for you, for everyone.

P.S. I normally don't want ED to copy any game but I personally was pretty blown away how guys from Asobo approached this issue in newest release of Flight Simulator. I'll just attach this picture here:

msfscontrols.jpg

If FD would redesign this controls dialogue I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that they'd take some inspiration from amazing Asobo solution.

1. Search.
2. Assigned/unassigned selection - simply brilliant.
3. Profiles
4. Sorting on top based on a device - again perfect initial filtering that will not show irrelevant options at all right from the start.
5. Adjustments on deadzones, curves, sensitivity with visuals.
6. Joystick pictures (if known) - again nice for showing people what are they currently editing + refreshing boring menu w/ that picture as well.

P.P.S. I would also ask to vote for this issue on issue trackers but I know FD would probably ignore it as usual. I feel like this is one of top issues for game overall. I am pretty positive for Odyssey and what it brings to our game, but to me this controls thing is #1 issue and I would like that FD would finally pay attention to this.

It's easy to do when you play and test with controller in mind, but PC crowd is your #1 audience, FD, please don't ignore this issue anymore.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yup. First of all, they need to expand to the 128 button support . Modern windows directx supports that, if I'm not mistaken. Secondly, the interface for button bind assignment would be better by having each input-device individually, and assign a button to a function in each mode, so you could have a key on the keyboard, a mouse button, a x-box controller button, and a hotas button all link to the same function if you so want. The two controller limit for each function is quite annoying, but will be even worse now when you space-legs to think of and VR/flatscreen switching. People will now play with multiple input systems.

Oh, yea, forgot one more thing - I don't think you can currently assign one key for more than 2 functions.

What I tried to do is to assign F8 to camera suite. Could do it for ship/srv but not for foot.

Also I don't quite get why do we have 3 binding for that. Why would camera mode entrance differ from ship/foot/srv is beyond me.

Oh, yea, forgot one more thing - I don't think you can currently assign one key for more than 2 functions.

What I tried to do is to assign F8 to camera suite. Could do it for ship/srv but not for foot.

Also I don't quite get why do we have 3 binding for that. Why would camera mode entrance differ from ship/foot/srv is beyond me.
Ctrl as crouch, and Alt as wheel, messes up the ctrl-alt-space combo.

Frontier shouldn't have bothered about changing the menu, galaxy and system views, but rather the binding screen. It needs a lot of improvement.

Maybe it's time for some 3rd party tool to enter the scene to edit the xml files.

I use elite series 2 xbox controller with just six buttons, two triggers, a dpad and two sticks and I have nearly everything bound. Just saying, try using button combos and shift keys.

Well, I know this topic is raised from time to time and I am not the first and not the last. It will be long and grumpy post.

Out of curiosity, I've decided to count how many bindings do we currently have. As of now this data is not 100% accurate since I am kinda bad at math w/ hangover. Data taken from current ALPHA + more keys will be added (medpack, shield cell, etc.) so exact precise number is not relevant. What more or less relevant is overall magnitude of numbers.

Currently in options we have 32 openable submenus (FLIGHT CONTROLS, DRIVING, TARGETING, ON FOOT, etc.) with overall 388 possible things that you can BIND on keys. I did a rough calculations, counting only buttons - skipping axis altogether.

Now, I know some certain portion of these is not needed + some things duplicate, but still - we have almost close to 400 things we can bind.

I bought a CM3 throttle from Virpil and VPC stick and enjoying both immensely, however in ED as I figured out I can't program more than 32 buttons since ED uses some kind of ancient directX or something and need to mess with virtual joysticks to use throttle buttons more or less fully. This is totally nuts and needs a change. This is simply biggest disrespect from Frontier to PC playerbase that uses something else to play except beloved controller devs use nowadays to test and build things around when developing ED further (this is quite obvious now with all these strange item wheels we see now in alpha).

We, PC players just want to be heard. Please, FD, add this to your priorities somewhere higher. I know you're busy. But you can't ignore this issue any more it's simply not an option at this point.

1. Please update DirectX or whatever it is that limits us to use only 32 keys per device. It's a joke in a game with 400 bindings.

It's bloated out of proportion now. No search. Not intuitive. Not easy to use. Wanna change some binding for on foot? Scroll down, open submenu, scroll. Sometimes people spend 10-20-30 minutes a session to rebind controls instead of playing, please make life easier for them, for you, for everyone.

P.S. I normally don't want ED to copy any game but I personally was pretty blown away how guys from Asobo approached this issue in newest release of Flight Simulator. I'll just attach this picture here:

View attachment 219298

If FD would redesign this controls dialogue I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that they'd take some inspiration from amazing Asobo solution.

1. Search.
3. Profiles
4. Sorting on top based on a device - again perfect initial filtering that will not show irrelevant options at all right from the start.
6. Joystick pictures (if known) - again nice for showing people what are they currently editing + refreshing boring menu w/ that picture as well.

P.P.S. I would also ask to vote for this issue on issue trackers but I know FD would probably ignore it as usual. I feel like this is one of top issues for game overall. I am pretty positive for Odyssey and what it brings to our game, but to me this controls thing is #1 issue and I would like that FD would finally pay attention to this.

It's easy to do when you play and test with controller in mind, but PC crowd is your #1 audience, FD, please don't ignore this issue anymore.

Thanks.
+++++++++++

This SO needs FDev's attention!

But working out (some of) the keybinds was my first learning curve when started. I had hours of fun with that gameplay. Don't take the fun away from new players. :)

But working out (some of) the keybinds was my first learning curve when started. I had hours of fun with that gameplay. Don't take the fun away from new players. :)
Maybe they need a beginners tutorial video of how to configure the bindings before you go into a ship and fly it. :D

I would start with different pages for walking / ship / srv, each with their own preset. Could be displayed as tabs.
And each binding that is the same between page should have "Use Ship Key" for things like keys to open the panels. I can't stand it that I have to bind everything. Most of these will always be the same unless you do something like use a HOTAS to but a game controller to walk/drive.

Oh man, a search function would be incredible. And while I have not personally encountered the 32 bindings per device limit, I think that's infuriating and I would have hoped that a big update like Odyssey would address issues like that.

View attachment 219298

1. Search.
3. Profiles

Thanks.
Win 10 uses the latest Direct X
Isn’t there an overlay or something that you can run so you can have all your verpal going?
good ideas about the binding menu

Win 10 uses the latest Direct X
Isn’t there an overlay or something that you can run so you can have all your verpal going?

Well, I don't know for sure, since it's not my area - there are much more knowledgeable commanders in this forum. All I know FD uses some kind of old, very old API or DirectX which allows only 32 keys per device - if we're talking about joysticks and such.

There are workarounds over this, one is namely vjoy (virtual joysticks) + Joystick Gremlin, but whole idea that I need to install 2 pieces of extra software + mess with all this is kinda depressing at this point.

Top Bottom