Bindings nightmare

Win 10 uses the latest Direct X
Isn’t there an overlay or something that you can run so you can have all your verpal going?
good ideas about the binding menu
In the past, I used some tool, can't remember the name but it allowed voice commands and such. The problem though is that when you have middle-man software, there's always some glitches and delays.

It's a pain tbh. In Odyssey alpha I have my HOTAS set up for UI, ship, and SRV control and my Xbox controller for on foot, camera, and UI interaction. So far there are no conflicts but the bindings still need tweaking for a more intuitive feel. :)

Well, I don't know for sure, since it's not my area - there are much more knowledgeable commanders in this forum. All I know FD uses some kind of old, very old API or DirectX which allows only 32 keys per device - if we're talking about joysticks and such.

There are workarounds over this, one is namely vjoy (virtual joysticks) + Joystick Gremlin, but whole idea that I need to install 2 pieces of extra software + mess with all this is kinda depressing at this point.
Kinda depressing I have a 7 year old thrust master and you have more virpal than USB ports available. 🥸

Voice Attack has come a long way, mine is quick and I fixed the few glitches

I find it very unnatural to speak commands - but that's my personal thing. In any case, I consider Voice Attack and extra software a 'crutch' so to speak.

The main reason for this post that FDEV would consider adding a normal support for the guys that don't play with controllers. We've waited quite a long number of years.

I find it very unnatural to speak commands - but that's my personal thing. In any case, I consider Voice Attack and extra software a 'crutch' so to speak.

The main reason for this post that FDEV would consider adding a normal support for the guys that don't play with controllers. We've waited quite a long number of years.
The cool thing with VA (if I remember correctly, someone who uses it can correct me) is that you can bind controllers, keyboard, 3DConnexion mouse, etc to it, and it will work as one or more "controllers" to the game, or even sequences/macros.

Just bringing it up again - since I downloaded alpha 3, got some mission to get something from some crash site, wasn't able to find a site, was thinking if I prob need Detailed Surface Scanner to locate it, spent like 30 minutes in menus trying to figure out how (or rather remember) to use FSS and how to enter Detailed Surface scanner. Wasn't able to. As usual all binding for that stuff do not exist in Alpha. I am triple ELITE player, thousands of hours since 2014 and after about half an hour spent in menus gave up.

This is absolute nightmare, I can't even imagine what new players would feel. I, and most of players here would probably force themselves to get through that binding adventure but for now - no. No. No.

For me Alpha is over, I just can't make myself google'ing how FSS/DSS should work and what binding is supposed to do what, etc. When the live game hits I'll probably go through all that. Once.

Can't make myself going through menus, submenus and bindings again.

Wanna change some binding for on foot? Scroll down, open submenu, scroll. Sometimes people spend 10-20-30 minutes a session to rebind controls instead of playing

Can't understand why that would be happening, aside from the controls not saving properly. Is it people that dont know the binds are contextual? Ship/SRV/foot binds are separate and don't overwrite or interfere with each other.

Either way, the amount of binds Odyssey needs is less than those needed for flying a ship. If anything the problem is Odyssey not offering enough bindable actions, which would let players skip using stuff like item wheels.

Top Bottom