"Blight" State?

Well factions with no assets also are in blight. This does not make any sense.
Makes sense to me. Assets are controlled by a faction, but that doesn't mean exclusive use of them. %influence equates to the % of the population who support that faction. That population can't exist in the vacuum of space just because all the assets are controlled by a different faction.

That and factions clearly conduct operations aboard non-controlled assets, thus "industrial supply" missions and the like offered by non- controlling factions aboard.

Tl;dr the controlling faction is just the one collecting the rent on leased subfacilities.

Still only seeing 4 agricultural stations with Blight - and all in high pop systems. Was hoping to try dropping Rockforth on one and see if it cures the blight (since Jmanis already tested if it would cause the blight), but I doubt I can cure a huge system, and non-agri systems take a large loss if you sell 🤔

Tl;dr the controlling faction is just the one collecting the rent on leased subfacilities.
However, it doesn't explain how they (with no facilities in direct control) can suffer from an agricultural blight, while other system factions (including controlling faction) do not. What kind of blight is this?

However, it doesn't explain how they (with no facilities in direct control) can suffer from an agricultural blight, while other system factions (including controlling faction) do not. What kind of blight is this?
A BGS Blight ;)

Much the way factions can be in Outbreak but own nothing etc etc. Same argument - how can you have an outbreak if you own nothing? surely the owner of the location should have the outbreak? but the BGS doesn't work that way.

The only thing this tells us is that it is unlikely that the next step is 'clear all the blight locations by shipping a cure', as you can't ship to a faction that doesn't own anything. I guess they could add missions, but since there are so many blighted systems I'm guessing something more global will come up.

A BGS Blight ;)

Much the way factions can be in Outbreak but own nothing etc etc. Same argument - how can you have an outbreak if you own nothing? surely the owner of the location should have the outbreak? but the BGS doesn't work that way.

The only thing this tells us is that it is unlikely that the next step is 'clear all the blight locations by shipping a cure', as you can't ship to a faction that doesn't own anything. I guess they could add missions, but since there are so many blighted systems I'm guessing something more global will come up.
Riiight, that's what I meant. This 'blight' is just another status effect (debuff, if you like) without much RL sense, that fdev introduced to support current interstellar initiative. That's how they usually develop new gameplay features.

PS. If developer doesn't care much about explaining what they do, then players' imagination should solve the problem. %)

Makes sense to me. Assets are controlled by a faction, but that doesn't mean exclusive use of them. %influence equates to the % of the population who support that faction. That population can't exist in the vacuum of space just because all the assets are controlled by a different faction.

That and factions clearly conduct operations aboard non-controlled assets, thus "industrial supply" missions and the like offered by non- controlling factions aboard.

Agreed, and by the same criterion an Outbreak or Famine shouldn't be confined to a single faction.
As an aside, I once asked FD why agri-chemicals were required to help overcome an Outbreak (this was some time ago - must have been a bug report). The reply was that things were working as intended. My conclusion was that it was an fungal outbreak like athlete's foot.

Last edited:
I think there's an expectation here that the BGS is far less high-level and abstract than it actually is. What ownership of assets means, what influence is, what status effects mean, etc. has a lot of potential detail that isn't defined (and wouldn't necessarily be particularly relevant to flying a spaceship if it was)

It's obvious - especially in the high population systems - that there must be thousands of settlements and facilities not visible from our view (whether on non-landable planets or just too small to consider) simply to fit everyone on the population number in.

Similarly just because the economy is listed as Extraction doesn't mean that there is absolutely no local food production whatsoever - just that the system needs more food than it can purely produce locally. Likewise many non-Extraction systems you can see mining going on in their ring systems - just not at an intensity that means they don't have to import it.

(A lot of this abstraction is of course essential for gameplay purposes - in the real world, economic effects like booms and busts, conflicts like wars and elections take place over months or years rather than a week. Speeding it up to a pace that makes for any sort of gameplay means agreeing not to ask too many questions about certain "realism" aspects of it...)

I think there's an expectation here that the BGS is far less high-level and abstract than it actually is. What ownership of assets means, what influence is, what status effects mean, etc. has a lot of potential detail that isn't defined (and wouldn't necessarily be particularly relevant to flying a spaceship if it was)

It's obvious - especially in the high population systems - that there must be thousands of settlements and facilities not visible from our view (whether on non-landable planets or just too small to consider) simply to fit everyone on the population number in.

Similarly just because the economy is listed as Extraction doesn't mean that there is absolutely no local food production whatsoever - just that the system needs more food than it can purely produce locally. Likewise many non-Extraction systems you can see mining going on in their ring systems - just not at an intensity that means they don't have to import it.

(A lot of this abstraction is of course essential for gameplay purposes - in the real world, economic effects like booms and busts, conflicts like wars and elections take place over months or years rather than a week. Speeding it up to a pace that makes for any sort of gameplay means agreeing not to ask too many questions about certain "realism" aspects of it...)
Ian sums it up far more succinctly than i could.

There's a lot of "missing detail" in the BGS, and so it's literally a "fill the blanks" exercise.

Extraction economies take fruit and veg as am import. Presumably that gets sold to organisational entities which act as distributors, who generate that market demand, with the facility controller taking import tariffs etc. which is how that generates influence for the controller.
Those distributors comprise aspects of the factions. It's not unreasonable to think that a non controlling faction could take receipt of blighted fruit and veg, which affects other stocks within that distributor, while remaining sufficiently separated from other distributors, shielding them (And by extension, other factions) from similar blight problems.

Ian also hits a good point with food manufacturing. Grain is also an import... but I'll almost certain individuals on a station just buy grain and eat it... it would get used to product flour, and subsequently bread or other grain based products. If an import shipment of grain was blighted, and it spread to other organic products, it'd be disastrous.

The next question based on that would be "but why doesn't other factions suffer blight if i sell them blighted goods?"... well, because the blight is known, as well as the origin of the goods, and so they can quarantine those goods until they can deal with the blighted stock.

This is all just blank filling, and not codified I the game, just one interpretation.

I don't have enough data to do a proper analysis yet, but changes I can see:
  • increase of about 15% in production of Biowaste
  • animal meat demand down to 75% normal, fish down to 87% normal, wine down to 75% normal, tea down to 70% normal
  • 15% increase in demand for domestic appliances and reactive armour
  • 35% increase in demand for coffee, fruit and veg, synthetic meat, bootleg liquor
  • 40% increase in liquor demand
  • 50% increase in non-lethal weapons demand
  • 60% in basic medicines demand (advanced medicines no change)
  • 100% increase in food cartridges demand

Price effects either zero or within 1-2% of normal.
Significant changes here in the last day or so - thanks @Factabulous

Food consumption is now up to between 30x and 120x (not 35%) depending on type at affected non-Agri stations, pricing is also up substantially for import.
Biowaste production is zeroed (temporary illegal?)

Looks like this may be a way to get the interesting market effects of Famine back into the game without having to fix the negative economy slider

Looks like this may be a way to get the interesting market effects of Famine back into the game without having to fix the negative economy slider
I hope not :/ Would rather they actually fix negative action imbalances. Still cool re: other effects. Am home now (but unpacking). Will check it later.

Just had a run around some of the blighted systems - not seeing any with negative Eco effects (i.e. none are heading towards famine that I saw).

Some are even Elated to be in Blight (also Boom, but still :) )

So fortunately, I have a blight right in my backyard (but, totally not my test system). Gonna play around with it :)

EDIT: Oh, except no market XD

2nd EDIT: Anyone reported the fact Systems reporting blight appear blank on the star map (because there's no filter for Blight?)

Last edited:
Biowaste production is zeroed (temporary illegal?)
So as far as I can tell, Biowaste is still legal (I can freely sell it to a blighted faction, but you're correct, there's none to purchase)

Foods seem higher across the board, except for Tea or Coffee which are "normal", compared to other nearby markets importing the goods. Average seems to be 2000-3000 credits more valued.

Beer, Water, Liquor and Basic Medicines all seemed to have well above average prices, but nothing on the basic foods (blighted system price at top in all pictures)
WaterBeerLiquorBasic Medicines

All other commodities seem quite unaffected. Although it's not an agricultural economy (one i'm sourcing this from is Military), things like Pesticides, Synthetic Reagents, Agri-medicines, Aquaponic Systems etc seemed to have their price unaffected... while in-demand goods such as Water Purifiers were equally unaffected.

Also, slightly off-topic, but when did Military Grade Fabrics become such a cash cow in when in Boom + Civil Liberty? Is there a thread summarising all the market effects different states provide, particularly around price effects? I checked the index and did some searches, but couldn't find anything...

So fortunately, I have a blight right in my backyard (but, totally not my test system). Gonna play around with it :)

EDIT: Oh, except no market XD

2nd EDIT: Anyone reported the fact Systems reporting blight appear blank on the star map (because there's no filter for Blight?)

I have a blight with market and one with no market. Of course, both stations are extraction with no demand for agricultural things :)

Also, slightly off-topic, but when did Military Grade Fabrics become such a cash cow in when in Boom + Civil Liberty? Is there a thread summarising all the market effects different states provide, particularly around price effects? I checked the index and did some searches, but couldn't find anything...
There since 3.3, I think - I don't think there's been any major economic adjustment since then, but a lot of goods were repriced there, especially the ones with cheaper purchase prices.

I don't think there's a general summary thread but you can look most of them up per-state or per-commodity at https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/effects

Re-posting from elsewhere ...

I feel like FD maybe missed a trick with this. I did a quick run this morning, mostly I confess to see if those huge profits were still a thing (they're not). What piqued my interest tho' was that before I sold at the CG destination I noticed that the in-game "also bought at" list in Commodities showed a few stations buying at a much higher price. Instead of selling I flew on to one of these others but alas the trade data was simply out of date. What occured to me tho' was, what if some stations, blind to the blight state, continued to buy at high price? Commanders would then be faced with the moral decision of either helping the initiative to rid the galaxy of this dangerous substance or simply making a profit and spreading blight state around the bubble. With the right balance of potential ultimate reward for completing the CG vs immediate profits at the expense of the bubble this could have been really interesting (if potentially devastating to the BGS).

Top Bottom