"Blockade" of Dav's Hope

Because of this I don't actually agree with the "miles wide but inch deep" description. I think that's usually a description of what the complainant has chosen to do in ED rather than ED itself. I've played for about three years and there are still things I haven't tried to do. There are also things I've tried but not yet got good at. It looks like I'm going to continue being engrossed in the game, possibly for a few more years.
I think the complaint probably comes from focused gamers. Like, if you're only here for the PvP or the combat in general or the space trucking, and you have no interest in going beyond one or two things that you really enjoy. I mean, there are lots of things to do in Elite, but if you're not here for the buffet, then that one plate of whatever you ordered is eventually going to stop filling you up. Seems like a reasonable enough explanation.

I think the complaint probably comes from focused gamers. Like, if you're only here for the PvP or the combat in general or the space trucking, and you have no interest in going beyond one or two things that you really enjoy. I mean, there are lots of things to do in Elite, but if you're not here for the buffet, then that one plate of whatever you ordered is eventually going to stop filling you up. Seems like a reasonable enough explanation.

Picking out the mechanics you like is fine and dandy of course, but for me it feels too much like reducing Elite to a series of minigames. When you pull back and look at the whole, it's a much different kind of thing. Full of potential for really some excellent stories.

Heck, I'm still wondering how I went from hardcore killer to frontier used ship salesman.

This is an interesting point. Are there any actual PvE PG players around here who would jump ship for a PvE layer of Open?

I'm actually asking. Like, anyone who's reading this and plays on Mobius for example.
I would. PGs lack the tools to manage their populations, have geographic instancing limitations and can never manage a population equivalent with open. I've played many mmos that offer pvp or pve servers. The pve servers always fill up first.

I would. PGs lack the tools to manage their populations, have geographic instancing limitations and can never manage a population equivalent with open. I've played many mmos that offer pvp or pve servers. The pve servers always fill up first.
Can 100% confirm this. I used to play Mobius as well. However, being on Xbox there is already a low player count compared to PC. Then I get into the Mobius for the USA.

due to a lot of the things you laid out there, the experience was identical to solo, because I never saw anyone else.

imo PVE PGs are the work-around, and I think most would go for a PVE version of open (whatever that would be 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Can 100% confirm this. I used to play Mobius as well. However, being on Xbox there is already a low player count compared to PC. Then I get into the Mobius for the USA.

due to a lot of the things you laid out there, the experience was identical to solo, because I never saw anyone else.

imo PVE PGs are the work-around, and I think most would go for a PVE version of open (whatever that would be 🤷🏻‍♂️)
Yes and no. Unless you are silly enough to base yourself at a known gank site like Jameson or refuse to be smart and insist on going to places like the Engineering sites in Open there is little chance of not seeing another Commander, much less having to interact with them at any level.

Yes a PvE mode would be nice, and yes I would use it, just to ally any chances of running into brave, role playing, Galactic Super Villains who can make up any excuse to kill anyone in a lesser ship (but will run away at the first sign of skill even playing field). In fact if FD could come up with a way to get rid of those, we don't need a PvE Open do we?

Yes and no. Unless you are silly enough to base yourself at a known gank site like Jameson or refuse to be smart and insist on going to places like the Engineering sites in Open there is little chance of not seeing another Commander, much less having to interact with them at any level.

Yes a PvE mode would be nice, and yes I would use it, just to ally any chances of running into brave, role playing, Galactic Super Villains who can make up any excuse to kill anyone in a lesser ship (but will run away at the first sign of skill even playing field). In fact if FD could come up with a way to get rid of those, we don't need a PvE Open do we?
The sort that do that are more of a type, than actual individuals. No matter how many you get rid of, another takes it's place.

Anyway, it's a bit late for a PvE only mode. Adding it now, this far along in the life of the game, is not likely to change total player count. All it would do is make the PvP server a relative ghost town. Though there would be a lot of cheers and a lot of salt over a decision like that.

Then again, in the unlikely event they do actually add a PvE mode, how about they also limit engineering to FSD, and lightening/lowering heat signature and power requirements in that mode. Without PvP we no longer need to be slaves to the ridiculous hp inflation -> power creep cycle. It would make NPC combat challenging again.

Like "Hot Ships"? Don't think it's in the cards for FDEV. Until then, there is "create your own PVE server with Block", PG or solo.

I tried Mobius once for six months, I never saw a single Cmdr (Wasnt engineering or Elite at time). The main group was full so I got one of the sub groups, may have been america can't remember. I had a long break and when I came back decided to make the move to open.

Op. Yes. It consented if you are in open, even if you didn’t invite it. Play in solo to grind mats.
I lost my tech broker commodities when swinging back to collect the last CG’s reward.
this is why I have my blockade running adder handy, it’s cheap, despite engineered with prime modules. The engineered adder is underrated as a speedy-ship and previously could only be outpaced by an engineered I-courier. As long as they both ran unloaded :) so I’d get a gleeful group of gankers thinking they had an easy kill, instead Ate some afterburner flavoured Humble pie leading into a low-wake as I make my towards the station they can’t “blockade”.
But Now an engineered krait does the same speeds (of a loaded icourier/adder) and that’s loaded or unloaded.

Last edited:
The sort that do that are more of a type, than actual individuals. No matter how many you get rid of, another takes it's place.

Anyway, it's a bit late for a PvE only mode. Adding it now, this far along in the life of the game, is not likely to change total player count. All it would do is make the PvP server a relative ghost town. Though there would be a lot of cheers and a lot of salt over a decision like that.

Then again, in the unlikely event they do actually add a PvE mode, how about they also limit engineering to FSD, and lightening/lowering heat signature and power requirements in that mode. Without PvP we no longer need to be slaves to the ridiculous hp inflation -> power creep cycle. It would make NPC combat challenging again.
HRPs probably do enough bulletsponge even without engineers.

Glad you folks have been commenting on this because I joined Mobius a few days ago and have had no sight of other CMDRs anywhere. I'm assuming they pop up as little outline boxes in the radar as they do in open. Assuming so, Mobius PVE Eurasia seems dead. I never look at the drop down because I've no idea how to tell a real player from an NPC ( RTFM but I thought it would be obvious ). Doesn't help that I can't really wear my glasses in VR but hey...

Glad you folks have been commenting on this because I joined Mobius a few days ago and have had no sight of other CMDRs anywhere. I'm assuming they pop up as little outline boxes in the radar as they do in open. Assuming so, Mobius PVE Eurasia seems dead. I never look at the drop down because I've no idea how to tell a real player from an NPC ( RTFM but I thought it would be obvious ). Doesn't help that I can't really wear my glasses in VR but hey...
I think Mobius is filled with thousands of players that play in Open or solo most of the time.

Commanders are displayed as a hollow triangle or square. NPCs are displayed as filled in triangles or squares.
I've been in Mobius since it was created and I feel that I might as well be in solo. The only time I've seen other commanders is around Shinrarta Dezhra.

Thanks for the clarification - I guess I set my expectations a little high. It would seem they call it Space for a reason.

Maybe I'll hang around Jameson in a 'winder and when someone turns up I'll do a version of "Dog greets master after 2 tours in Faraway'stan". Don't ask me what that would look like because I have no idea.

Commanders are displayed as a hollow triangle or square. NPCs are displayed as filled in triangles or squares.
I've been in Mobius since it was created and I feel that I might as well be in solo. The only time I've seen other commanders is around Shinrarta Dezhra.
Mobius was always busy around CGs, but they've gone the way of the Mac port, Galnet, VR, etc

Doesn't help that I can't really wear my glasses in VR but hey...
I bought prescription inserts for my Occ Rift from vrcover.com - very, very recommended.

Yes, I play in that group and hardly ever see other players. Space is big, and Mobius unfortunately has to be divided into several groups because of the size limit. The only times you can reliably meet other players are popular things like CGs.

I think there's also an effect that the game avoids instancing you with other players if the internet speeds and pings are incompatible, so if you have connection issues at all that can make the game less crowded too.

I bought prescription inserts for my Occ Rift from vrcover.com - very, very recommended.

I've looked into this and read ages ago that it should be my 'far prescription' for which I don't have one because my distance vision tests normal. It's my near vision which is a problem and VR seems to make it worse. Are your prescription lenses for near or far?

Yes, I play in that group and hardly ever see other players. Space is big, and Mobius unfortunately has to be divided into several groups because of the size limit. The only times you can reliably meet other players are popular things like CGs.

I think there's also an effect that the game avoids instancing you with other players if the internet speeds and pings are incompatible, so if you have connection issues at all that can make the game less crowded too.
I really hope the last bit isn't the case because, for logistics and cost reasons, my gamer sits ~30m from an amplified extender. On a good day I get D/U of 35Mbit/7Mbit and 12ms-18ms ping. I'm guessing with so many people on fiber, I'm going to miss a lot of instancing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom