PvP Bounty Hunting WARNING - KWS wont let you off Pilots Federation Bounty. PVP Bounty hunting is DEAD.

This is really where politics and different types of bounties would be good. System wide, faction wide and galaxy wide bounties. For instance, if you have a bounty in an independent system, since it's independent, it will only be a bounty there. That system has no extradition treaty with any other system. If you have one in a system aligned to Ffederation, you should have that bounty in all systems aligned with the Federation. Create some political lines in the Bubble. Make a faction have some meaning.

As Stigbob said, as an Imperial, you could go into Fed space and tear up the place and retreat back to Imperial Space and be legally protected by the Imperials. As someone aligned to the Federation, you could go into Imperial Space and try to blow this CMDR out of space, and enjoy the exact same protection retreating to safe Federation Space. Ideally the Federation would award you for dealing with one of their enemies, while still getting a bounty in Imperial Systems.

That's what i said... they took a chance of implementing something like that and threw out of a window... for the sake of Mile wide inch deep... Federation bounty, Imperial bounty... Allied planets bounty... Lave cluster bounty.... so many possibilities... and yet NONE

The problem is, FD / the game actively encourages players to do this, so they somewhat devalue the criminality of destroying NPCs.

Yes, and that's why this IS interesting. I believe the next time that Vulture that have 23k bounty (about to 5 NPCs kills, And i discovered the system... it was Wyrd.) He will think twice about it... Giving to this PARTICULAR player a fear of destruction over his bounty... making him more lawful , and he will actually FEEL threatened by the bounty system.... Imagine yourself being killed by a viper ... a smaller ship with smaller fire capacity... it makes you sweat....

So while encouraging you to kill clean targets can be good (and it is IMO) it also should become clear that this actions are dangerous for you in the long run.

I for one think frontier should go nuts on the bounty system. making it more complex and more engaging than it is now. But HEY... Not gonna happen... MWID

Yes, and that's why this IS interesting. I believe the next time that Vulture that have 23k bounty (about to 5 NPCs kills, And i discovered the system... it was Wyrd.) He will think twice about it... Giving to this PARTICULAR player a fear of destruction over his bounty... making him more lawful , and he will actually FEEL threatened by the bounty system.... Imagine yourself being killed by a viper ... a smaller ship with smaller fire capacity... it makes you sweat....

So while encouraging you to kill clean targets can be good (and it is IMO) it also should become clear that this actions are dangerous for you in the long run.

I for one think frontier should go nuts on the bounty system. making it more complex and more engaging than it is now. But HEY... Not gonna happen... MWID

I don't disagree with you...

We don't know what the bounty the Vulture had was for. It could have been for destroying 5 NPC ships, could also have been a fine for abandoning a mission not paid off and become a bounty. And if it were NPC ships, that might well have been as a consequence of powerplay, again, something the game wants / encourages you to do.

The issue as I see it is that bounties are given out way too easily, and this is why it's hard to get the 'punishment' right. The problem (I think) is that bounties get handed out like this in an attempt to regulate PK'ing (which FD would prefer to see only in justified circumstances) using a mechanic that is the same as one they use for 'justified' naughtiness.

The simplistic solution would be to make only assault and destruction of clean ships, player or NPC, be a bounty offense, and everything else a fine. (The problem I suspect for FD is that players will find ways around this to mess with others.) That way, if a player has a bounty, everybody knows it was for a 'serious' crime, and the consequences could be made more interesting. It might reduce the uptake of illicit NPC kill missions and perhaps mess with powerplay, then again it might not.

As it is, because players get bounties for tripping over a skimmer, flying too slowly (loitering), flying too fast (ramming), forgetting to pay a fine and so on, it's likely to be detrimental to the game to make those offenses something that make you sweat.

Just a thought OP, have we tried putting forward a change suggestion yet? I would be happy to lend my support to such a thread.

I don't disagree with you...

We don't know what the bounty the Vulture had was for. It could have been for destroying 5 NPC ships, could also have been a fine for abandoning a mission not paid off and become a bounty. And if it were NPC ships, that might well have been as a consequence of powerplay, again, something the game wants / encourages you to do.

The issue as I see it is that bounties are given out way too easily, and this is why it's hard to get the 'punishment' right. The problem (I think) is that bounties get handed out like this in an attempt to regulate PK'ing (which FD would prefer to see only in justified circumstances) using a mechanic that is the same as one they use for 'justified' naughtiness.

The simplistic solution would be to make only assault and destruction of clean ships, player or NPC, be a bounty offense, and everything else a fine. (The problem I suspect for FD is that players will find ways around this to mess with others.) That way, if a player has a bounty, everybody knows it was for a 'serious' crime, and the consequences could be made more interesting. It might reduce the uptake of illicit NPC kill missions and perhaps mess with powerplay, then again it might not.

As it is, because players get bounties for tripping over a skimmer, flying too slowly (loitering), flying too fast (ramming), forgetting to pay a fine and so on, it's likely to be detrimental to the game to make those offenses something that make you sweat.

Well let me tell you a secret first.... Failed to pay fines DON'T give you bounty ;) I had a 2M fine (pirating, got scaned with a full hold of diamonds) it expired and become LEGACY fine, not bounty!

Now onto what you were talking about.... bounty in this game is laughable IMO...

I mean seriously.

I do agree that bounty are handed like parking tickets. But I also agree that they are no where near the value they should. I think that Bounty should be Action + Repetition... meaning that you have a fixed value for a starting bounty (assassination on a dictatorship territory should be 40k) and a minor bounty increase per kill lets say in this example 3-5k...

Smuggling also should be punished with a fine... and even more the cargo should be impounded if the players dock after failing to evade scans... this would make it much more interesting... trying to run with illegal cargo is what would make you have a bounty!

Now small bull crap like loitering and small stuff should actualy be just fines... and I think they are...

Just a thought OP, have we tried putting forward a change suggestion yet? I would be happy to lend my support to such a thread.

I'm thinking about it... much so I want to make a video on that... And I'm much interested on what everyone says here because of that.
I

Well let me tell you a secret first.... Failed to pay fines DON'T give you bounty ;) I had a 2M fine (pirating, got scaned with a full hold of diamonds) it expired and become LEGACY fine, not bounty!

If that happened, then it's a bug. As far as I am aware, legacy fines are a result of bounties expiring, nothing else.

Fines (over a certain amount I believe) all have a 7 day timer, and if you fail to pay them off they become bounties.

because players ironically object to capable NPC police.

One of the things Sandro has talked about with C&P is much stronger police forces that respond.

Interested in seeing if this is gamed like the PFB and the stronger police only show up if it is PVP encounter.

Will be disappointed if it ends up like that.

If that happened, then it's a bug. As far as I am aware, legacy fines are a result of bounties expiring, nothing else.

Fines (over a certain amount I believe) all have a 7 day timer, and if you fail to pay them off they become bounties.

It's true... never seen a fine became a bounty. and i have fines and bounties all time

One of the things Sandro has talked about with C&P is much stronger police forces that respond.

Interested in seeing if this is gamed like the PFB and the stronger police only show up if it is PVP encounter.

Will be disappointed if it ends up like that.

Ok here is the way things are DONE by fdev. They always go to the easiest , minimal approach they can, hey lets make griefing and ganking bad... we have 100 things we can use... but in the end chosen to make a galaxy wise bounty! WHY?! Because it's easy, because it takes minimal time. Sorry to say that but they wont make any significant change for C&P... C&P will just be another glorified method of Killing the dead horse that is PvPing in the game.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

The target had committed some offence against NPCs in another system and incurred a bounty there.
The Pilots Federation does not care about crimes against NPCs, only against players, therefore the target was clean as far as the PF is concerned.

The OP committed murder against a PF-clean and locally clean player - gets a PF-bounty.

Cut and dried.

It's true... never seen a fine became a bounty. and i have fines and bounties all time

Well, if you pay your fines off, they go away, but if you neglect to pay them off then they become bounties. It's how the game has always worked.

From the Elite : Dangerous manual (accessible from the launcher), page 112.

Last edited:
Well, if you pay your fines off, they go away, but if you neglect to pay them off then they become bounties. It's how the game has always worked.

Problem is none of the description accounts for the handling of minor bounties.

A bounty of a couple of hundred credits disappears within minutes. If there's no special handling for fines, which are expected to almost always be small, then when your fine converts to a bounty you have a few minutes before it stops being relevant to anything again, and disappears as legacy.

Problem is none of the description accounts for the handling of minor bounties.

A bounty of a couple of hundred credits disappears within minutes. If there's no special handling for fines, which are expected to almost always be small, then when your fine converts to a bounty you have a few minutes before it stops being relevant to anything again, and disappears as legacy.

Yep, that could be what's happening, although I was under the impression that smaller fines don't become bounties. If they do, and they have the 8 minute timer, then there's every chance you wouldn't ever spot it.

I wouldn't say that all fines are small necessarily. Some for smuggling can be quite large, as can fines for failing / abandoning missions when they occur. In fact, judging by the amount, I wouldn't be at all surprised that the Vulture's bounty was an unpaid fine, but that of course is just speculation. :)

I wouldn't say that all fines are small necessarily. Some for smuggling can be quite large, as can fines for failing / abandoning missions when they occur.

Aye, hence "almost always expected to be small". Most fines are issued for knocking someone in station or lingering over a pad or whatever nonsense; actually sizeable fines do crop up, and I have noticed these become full bounties as intended.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

The target had committed some offence against NPCs in another system and incurred a bounty there.
The Pilots Federation does not care about crimes against NPCs, only against players, therefore the target was clean as far as the PF is concerned.

The OP committed murder against a PF-clean and locally clean player - gets a PF-bounty.

Cut and dried.

You can simplify it even further : Check your targets.

Funny enough... this got pushed to the PvP forums... which means that any chance of a developer coming and talking is now zero... ;) Devs don't come here ...

The only Dev interaction here is Brett locking the PVP moderator thread ;) over 40+ posts...

Funny enough... this got pushed to the PvP forums... which means that any chance of a developer coming and talking is now zero... ;) Devs don't come here ...

The only Dev interaction here is Brett locking the PVP moderator thread ;) over 40+ posts...

What purpose would a PVP moderator serve ?.

Top Bottom