Brain trees - How To Guide

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
(Important note - there is a major change in mechanics, coming at the end of 2018, that will allow surveying surface with probes. It will make the process much simpler and hopefully more rewarding, so you may as well wait till then)

To find the brain trees first you must look for suitable candidate. So far I managed to find them on landable volcanic bodies with temperature between 200K and 500K. I do not think the actual size matters, but it is far more difficult to find them on big bodies (radius 2000km and more) as the craters I search for become very big. Anything below 1000km is fairly easy to search.

We found them so far only in vinicity of Ancient Ruins left by extinct race of Guardians. The first were discovered in Col 173 sector. The area where you can find trees there spreads over 1000ly, so this is where I would look to begin with as it is very easy to find one.

Once you have the candidate body you have to bring up the surface map and look for something called ejecta crater (or splash crater), this is simply a crater with two features, there are radial lines coming out of it and the bottom is flat (most of the craters are bowl shaped). Lines are very faint on ice bodies, in this case check the shape of the bottom.

Examples of ejecta craters:

Rocky body:
Visible on system map - very distinct lines:
0eMw54R.png

This one has lines, but very faint, easier to recognize it by flat bottom:
q1sWECw.png

Ice body:
Visible on system map, no lines but recognizable flat bottom:
ewpk9sz.png

If there is such crater then the fastest way to check it is to set your scanner on maximum range and enter the glide before the center of it.
Most of ejecta craters have something right in the middle - if you are in the area where brain trees exist you will find them, if not you will find mineable rock (the one you can break with your laser and get mats).
Both of them show identical POI - initially very big (fills whole scanner), after a while it blinks and shrinks rapidly to tiny (few pixels one), which indicates stuff you have to check. There is nothing on the ground before the blink happens, so cruise around until you get it. Exit the glide and position yourself directly above POI (it disappears below 1.6 km so stay higher until you are in right position), then slowly descent.
With good light you can see the trees from about 3km. It is a good idea to listen, because you can hear the special noise brain trees make from 400m, so if it is dark or you are not directly above the site the sound can help.
If you cannot see anything then you probably found the mineable rock. Usually they are slightly different colour than the rest, and are visible from around 200m.
(example of such rock - when people say, there is a POI but cannot find anything on the ground, probably there is this type of rock somewhere near) As they may be difficult to pinpoint you can make it easier using this technique - https://youtu.be/maP_JZeihaI
HmkPlwj.jpg

One gets big, shrinking POIs only on rocky and rocky ice bodies, on icy it is small straight away, so more difficult to find, but as icy bodies with temperature over 200K are rare find, so it is not an issue.

The biggest area we found the brain trees is sector Col 173, example of a system close to the bubble is Synuefe PJ-D b46-10, body 3, coordinates 63.4538 // 93.4521, only 376 ly from Sol. From here they go as far as Flyua Dryoae FT-F d12-29 which is 1800ly from Sol.

Locations:
Apart from that we found them in and around following nebulae:
Prai Hypoo - 12000ly from Sol (Prai Hypoo AA-A H60 )
Blaa Hypai - 12000ly from Sol ( Blaa Hypai AA-A H68 )
NGC 3199 - 15000ly from Sol
Eta Carina - 9000ly from Sol
Skaudai - 12000ly from Sol ( Skaudai AA-A H71 )
Eorl Auwsy - 21000ly from Sol ( Eorl Auwsy AA-A H72)

Ejecta lines:
Apart from the brain trees in the middle of ejecta crater you can quite often find them outside in the ejecta lines.
It is hard to say if there will be any trees there, but I would expect some. Example of such place is HIP 37610 A 6 C A where I found 12 such places with one of the big craters having 5 additional brain trees around.

brain trees within ejecta lines:
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -7.4327 108.8068
HIP 37610 A 6 C A 30.3024 133.0154
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -20.8729 155.9022
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -29.8723 -70.3326
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -58.4948 -87.2587
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -58.9494 -51.9721
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -69.7909 -121.1664
HIP 37610 A 6 C A 35.1009 155.0964
HIP 37610 A 6 C A 39.5774 174.3157
HIP 37610 A 6 C A 46.9319 87.7625
HIP 37610 A 6 C A 56.2855 172.0577
HIP 37610 A 6 C A -19.9963 -82.9471

marked locations on below screenshot are not exact, but more or less where the sites are:

9KvGPu4.png

Tips:

- If the first crater you check does not have brain trees then always check another one. I is not uncommon for some of them to have a rock. I always check at least two craters.

- If you not getting the blink, then enter the orbital cruise and immediately exit it, typically it helps.

- Do not rely on habitable zone of main star only when searching for candidates, if it is 200-400ls and you will have hot giant on 3000ls orbit then its moons may have right temperature, I typically scan the giant and if it is hotter than 300K then check the moons as well

Video clip that shows how the POI work. At 2 minutes mark you can see how to go about brain trees, but you should watch entire thing to get the idea how the tick, and other things work, if you looking for brain trees you may as well find some geysers and other stuff:

[video=youtube_share;RLGpfOyz9to]https://youtu.be/RLGpfOyz9to[/video]

This is work in progress, I will update this post with more information and newest finds.

Good luck :)

Useful links:

Canonn list of Brain Trees

Spansh Plotter
- you can use it to find right candidates, works best in known areas like Col 173

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this guide together, I wish I had something like this when I started.

I've noticed that the tick does not appear in fairly large bodies (R>1000km). I'm guessing that's because the tick altitude is above the glide altitude, so it doesn't appear when you enter glide.

I've noticed that the tick does not appear in fairly large bodies (R>1000km). I'm guessing that's because the tick altitude is above the glide altitude, so it doesn't appear when you enter glide.

This is my guess as well, when you do not get the tick during the glide it means you are below it, or incredibly lucky and your average altitiude was the actual one, can happen.

Checking splash zones may be quite a task, some do stretch from the pole to the equator, lots of ground to cover :)

kIOJiwN.png

This post needs to be stickied or added somewhere for easy reference

I will ask Madraptor to add it to Geyser thread maybe, finding brain trees as fun as it is, is not so important in the grand scheme of things :)

In the mean time some new locations:

Blae Eork ME-E d13-23 1 A -37.3578 -150.7941
Blae Eork ME-E d13-23 1 A -43.1983 -84.4497
Col 173 Sector ZP-Y b30-0 AB 2 A 35.811 173.6393
NGC 2547 Sector EH-L b8-2 5 -54.6396 100.1199

G1HSvmO.png

XKGj1Xj.png

bZb07O2.png

Last edited:
I will ask Madraptor to add it to Geyser thread maybe, finding brain trees as fun as it is, is not so important in the grand scheme of things :)

In the mean time some new locations:

Blae Eork ME-E d13-23 1 A -37.3578 -150.7941
Blae Eork ME-E d13-23 1 A -43.1983 -84.4497
Col 173 Sector ZP-Y b30-0 AB 2 A 35.811 173.6393
NGC 2547 Sector EH-L b8-2 5 -54.6396 100.1199

Well, still it could lead us to new Guardian sites/regions!

I remember you posting, that you have checked the Colonia corridor (i.e. the nebulae en route), but I'm not sure about it. The thing is, I'm slowly making my way to Colonia and can take a look to regions en route.
Since we have organics in Colonia system (fungae), a path of these stuff could lead us to interesting thing. Prehaps Jagues' location was not chosen randomly afterall.

I remember you posting, that you have checked the Colonia corridor (i.e. the nebulae en route), but I'm not sure about it. The thing is, I'm slowly making my way to Colonia and can take a look to regions en route.
Since we have organics in Colonia system (fungae), a path of these stuff could lead us to interesting thing. Prehaps Jagues' location was not chosen randomly afterall.

It's a good idea that we can exploit.

Last edited:

Yes it could, this is how I found two new locations with ruins, by finding brain trees first which is easier.
I did check quite a lot of nebulae, but I was checking only about two bodies inside each of them, so it does not mean there are no brain trees in the area :) FOr example in the NGC 3199 nebula I did not find anything inside, all the locations with brain trees were outside of nebula

Roughly the loop around SagA I traveled
aptmVpU.jpg

Organics near Colonia in my opinion are not significant, there is just more eyes there and people find more stuff. Only recently I learned how to find fungal cones, and since then I found them in every nebula I am scouting for stuff. It is more time consuming then geysers, because mineable rocks give the same POI so you get lots of false positives :)

Ah, okay, I will take a look at the nebulae not on your map and/or not on the Canonn's list of known sites.
Anyway, it could be wishful thinking only that FDev dares to put significant stuff far away from the bubble... which would be quite cool though.

Here is the list of what I briefly checked, the way I see it is less likely that there will be brain trees there, but definately worth another look if anyone is in the area:

Floawns aa-a h359
Blaa Hypai AA-A H55
BLEAE AEWSY AA-A H22
CLOOKUIA AA-A H35
Greae Phio AA-A H33
Eeshorks AA-A H15
EESHORPS AA-A H80
GREAE PHOEA AA-A H41
MYNOAW AA-A H23
STRANOA AA-A H3
Dryi Aoc AA-A H60
EOR AUSCS AA-A H18
SHROGAAE AA-A H78
Boepp AA-A H83
IOWHAIL AA-A H93
Byua Aim AA-A H16
Byua Aim AA-A H63
Byua Ain AA-A H22
Boewnst AA-A H87
Eoch Flya AA-A H119
EULAIL AA-A H2
OEPHAIF AA-A H23
EEPHAILLS AA-A H62
OEPHAIF AA-A H5
OEPHAIF AA-A H100
Dryaea Flee AA-A H89
Dryooe Prou AA-A H131
Dryaea Flee AA-A H10
LEAMAE AA-A H55
HYPUA FLYOAE AA-A H52
HYPUA FLYOAE AA-A H83
Phrae Flyou AA-A H30
stuemiae aa-a h63
oob chreou aa-a h28
xothaei aa-a h49
xothaei aa-a h52
xothuia aa-a h95
dryuae bre aa-a h64
phleedgoea aa-a h108
phoi bre aa-a h8
Tequo AA-A H45
Bleethue AA-A H36
Phroea Gree AA-A H34
Vegnue AA-A H17
scheau byoe AA-A H187
Hypou Briae AA-A H40
Phraa Byoe AA-A H14
Hypuae Briae AA-A H268
scheau blao aa-a H513
eoch grea aa-a H188
eorm phyloi aa-a H13
Pheia Auscs AA-A H23
hypio prao aa-a h16
Pueliae AA-A H0

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom