Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Chicken Run (03-11 MAR))

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It was a great start to the race.

Some were so fast out of the slot I didn't even catch a glimpse of them, some sped gracefully past, some... not so gracefully, and some bringing up the rear trying not to destroy the Courier in the mailslot :D

True Buckyball styling there. I salute all of you o7

[video=youtube_share;tgbiUb7F1QQ]https://youtu.be/tgbiUb7F1QQ[/video]

The warm up race was great fun !!!
I finished at 21:14:36 to a warm welcome from CMDR Aken B
Good Luck everyone with the race proper

Was a great start to a race.

I never quite made it.
"Plehve's Disaster" living up to her name :)
That last planet is littered with the ruins of an orange asp (it rolled 12 times - new record).

If anybody comes across an unnecessarily large spoiler near Weber Legacy i'd quite like it back :)

That has been great fun! Only now I get the full meaning of the race banner. :D

This race had to be run in 3.0! A couple times I risked getting distracted by the scenery on the way down...

I hoped to have some fun footage to show from the start of the race, but apparently my headtracker wasn't the only thing misbehaving this evening (I had constant jumping and stuttering): video frames ended up all over the place, choppy to the point of being totally useless. It freezed a second after launch and practically skipped the entire mailslot . And most of the video goes on this way. First time I had this happen and I'm sorely bummed. [sour]

Thank you Ozric for your entertaining footage, you made my Asp look smashing! (well, it actually smashed stuff on the way out [squeeeee])

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Since I have only one ship where I have updated the engineering, ahead of departing on the Silly Ships 3 expedition at the start of next week, let me declare my intent to bellyflop a T6 :)
Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr, Type-6, Deep Blue Yonder

We both know how great and sturdy the T-6 is, I think you'll surprise a few people here.

I'm going to be racing the stock class as usual and so, officially stating my intent to race:

Cmdr Ozric
Hauler
Littlest Hobo

*Edit*

Question: On the rules it says 2C Bi-weave shields, on the coriolis link it says 2D normal shields. There is a difference in mass between the two and so I wanted to make sure which one it was supposed to be?

Last edited:
It was a great start to the race.

Some were so fast out of the slot I didn't even catch a glimpse of them, some sped gracefully past, some... not so gracefully, and some bringing up the rear trying not to destroy the Courier in the mailslot :D

True Buckyball styling there. I salute all of you o7

https://youtu.be/tgbiUb7F1QQ

What a brilliant start to a race, sorry I couldn't make it. We should do that more often.

Question: On the rules it says 2C Bi-weave shields, on the coriolis link it says 2D normal shields. There is a difference in mass between the two and so I wanted to make sure which one it was supposed to be?

Thanks. Use the 2D regulars. I'll update the first page.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Sorry 1 more question :) Is there a bonus for how many spheres you bring? Just because for the lessened jump range and extra mass, I'll only bring 1 if not.

Just another update to the first page for you. I think something changed with 3.0 and Wolf 562 3 is now called Laila's Memory.

Last edited:
Sorry 1 more question :) Is there a bonus for how many spheres you bring? Just because for the lessened jump range and extra mass, I'll only bring 1 if not.

No, no bonus for added cargo. That could make things rather complicated, if one of you showed up in a Cutter.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
No, no bonus for added cargo. That could make things rather complicated, if one of you showed up in a Cutter.

Hehe very true, though can you imagine trying to land a fully laden Cutter on a 4.7g planet :D

Thanks for the clarifications.

A nice display of racing contraptions there:

Cmdr Crotalus' fresh-from-the-showroom Chieftain "Libertas", first live one I see in game, has that "Aliens" vibe to it:
4s8WP6V.jpg

Cmdr Edelgard Von Rhein's venerable Cobra Mk III "Null Geodesic", proudly showing her Distant Worlds badge:
p3zG4uU.jpg

Cmdr MrDragonRaaar's AspX "Plehve's Disaster", in a fancy Orange-Black paintjob and with a spoiler straight from "The Asp and the Furious":
toOvg6V.jpg

And finally, the Race Marshall's official vehicle, cmdr Azzie Elbub's Sidewinder "Hotrod":
gDDMiuO.jpg

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well I did a run earlier, which was really not that great, I knew I could do better. The second run was better, although I crashed out too fast for orbital cruise both times at Baffin Plant. I was also feeling quite pleased with myself because after removing a bit of extra bodywork at Weber Legacy, I only had 6% left and was well on for the crash pilot bonus... and then this happened...

[video=youtube_share;nQPv2W0n8s4]https://youtu.be/nQPv2W0n8s4[/video]

I hadn't even considered the drag of a 4.74g planet while trying to leave. Live and learn, well have to use your escape pod and learn :)

Should I point out that going upside down in 4.7 g may not have been the best idea?

If you want more high g fun, mess up the landing on anything at 3g+ in one of the pancake ships, come to rest on your canopy side and then try to flip over :cool:

Last edited:
Buckyball N00b question -- my bad if this has been answered, but my scanners (which are admittedly often glitchy) didn't reveal it: Do the rules prevent using engineered modules?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That's more like it!

hpTxWVAh.jpg

Buckyball N00b question -- my bad if this has been answered, but my scanners (which are admittedly often glitchy) didn't reveal it: Do the rules prevent using engineered modules?

Only if you are running in the stock category (Healthy Hauler) where you have to follow the specific loadout. The unlimited class you can use what modules you'd like. It's pretty much the reason I always run the stock classes, because I've never bothered engineering my ships enough for them to be competitive.

At long last, inventory is over at our store. No more 12 hour days or six day work weeks. I have tomorrow off, so as soon as I get home, I’ll be engineering Haulier than Thou, then moving to the start of the race. I’m sure I’ll be able to squeeze in a few runs, between getting all the tasks I normally get done over my mid-week “weekend,” and finally getting to see Black Panther.

I enjoyed a stroll around the course this afternoon and very pleasant it was too. Possibly the time may reflect the strolley nature of my effort! Landed nicely in those tough conditions

Saw Cmdr MrDragonRaaar looking good in that paint job. All the best to the rest of you too

Top Bottom