Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Chicken Run (03-11 MAR))

Hehe very true, though can you imagine trying to land a fully laden Cutter on a 4.7g planet :D

Thanks for the clarifications.

Challenge accepted! :)

7dZS7L4.png

OWarLRu.png

Last edited:
A nice display of racing contraptions there:

Cmdr Crotalus' fresh-from-the-showroom Chieftain "Libertas", first live one I see in game, has that "Aliens" vibe to it:

Cmdr Edelgard Von Rhein's venerable Cobra Mk III "Null Geodesic", proudly showing her Distant Worlds badge:

Cmdr MrDragonRaaar's AspX "Plehve's Disaster", in a fancy Orange-Black paintjob and with a spoiler straight from "The Asp and the Furious":

And finally, the Race Marshall's official vehicle, cmdr Azzie Elbub's Sidewinder "Hotrod":

Cmdr Ozric in his classic but stylish Hauler "The Littlest Hobo":
diUXyu7.png

Ok, the results of the warm up round are in. It was a pleasant evening at Noriega Station, and the turnout exceeded my expectations, so I invited everyone to an informal warm-up round around the course. Some CMDRs realized that the mass of the target planets is not the only obstacle to overcome on this course - Crystalline Spheres also seem to have an almost magical force of attraction towards pirates. Despite these, and sometimes the neccessity to scan the system or the planets in order to actually find the target stations, everyone set up a respectable time.

Fastest on the course was CMDR Aken B. in his Asp Explorer Spark of Lunacy, followed by CMDR ZX Spectrum in Celeritas Lucis and CMDR crotalus in the new Alliance Chieftain Libertas. CMDR Edelgard von Rhein in her unengineerd classic Cobra Mk III Null Geodesic completed the field.
CMDR MrDragonraar had an accident on the last planetary landing and might have set a new record for the most rolls in Asp on a planet, but alas couldn't complete the race. I took my Sidewinder Hotrod around the course, just in case, but of course can't claim any time for myself.

The race is off, ladies and gentlemen.

05JzeMP.png

run submitted hopefully with all the sreenshots this time

If anyone is having issues with it telling you to align with the destination when you are aligned, it may help to use target the next system in route command

If anyone is having issues with it telling you to align with the destination when you are aligned, it may help to use target the next system in route command

I run into this commonly when playing in a multiplayer mode (Open, or Mobius PvE); almost never in Solo mode. When it happens, I find that just hitting boost (usually) immediately starts the FSD countdown timer. ...oh, wait -- do I really want to be suggesting methods to lower other competitors' times?! :delete: :delete: :delete: ;-)

Fastest on the course was CMDR Aken B.

Yay! I'm not second for once. :D
Anyway, it has been mostly a stroke of luck. Due to an incredible series of coincidences, yesterday I had a most rare entire evening to devote to gaming (gf away to a birthday party); I remembered of the event just moments before (sorry Ashnak! :eek:) and it was just at 21:00 in my timezone, right after dinner time; just the day before, I switched from the weaponized iCourier to the long-jumping Asp, and just yesterday morning I paid a visit to Palin to check the new engineering, and upgraded it to a nice DD4 while I was at it; then I got back to Sol to take a look at my beloved Enceladus after the 3.0 beauty-pass, just a jump away from LTT 2151! I logged in just in time to reach Noriega, say hello and make a bookmarking rush. Even though the "Spark" is one of my very few ships not devoted to racing, a 43+ ly jump range and 500+ m/s boost made it quite effective nonetheless. I just was in the right ship at the right time. :)

That said, intent to make a proper run in an improper ship:
Cmdr Aken B.
Healty Hauler class
BenBucky Fried Chicken

Open class TBD after a couple scouting runs, still have to decide between stats, plans and calculations or going in full "AAAHHAaahhAAhhaaaAAHhh!!!" [noob]

I run into this commonly when playing in a multiplayer mode (Open, or Mobius PvE); almost never in Solo mode. When it happens, I find that just hitting boost (usually) immediately starts the FSD countdown timer. ...oh, wait -- do I really want to be suggesting methods to lower other competitors' times?! :delete: :delete: :delete: ;-)

If you check Ozric's video a few posts back (#55 in my browser), you'll see that it might not always be that simple....

Hoping to make it to the race today or tomorrow.

Intent to Race:

CMDR Raiko
Open Unlimited

I've been having fun in the Pleiades flying Baymax the Type-9. So I'm torn between a competitive entry in The Nomad and a crazy entry in Baymax at the moment. :D

40 hours into the race, and the leaderboards start to take shape.

In the Open Unlimited class, CMDR Samwell Drakhyr takes the lead in his expedition-ready Type-6 Transporter Deep Blue Yonder. I think we can now safely state that he is ready to go out there. Next on the podium is CMDR Crotalus in the Alliance Chieftain Libertas. After some trouble with his flight recorder in a previous run, he managed to deliver an impressive race in a combat ship. Third place, for now, goes to CMDR Cheetah in his Asp Explorer Star Helix.

dU5KaH2.png

However, overall first place at this time goes to CMDR Ozric in his regulation Hauler The Littlest Hobo. Not only did he manage an impressive time by itself, arriving at Noriega Station with a scant 4% hull left and still managing to deliver the Crystalline Spheres unharmed qualifies him as the first commader to claim the Crash Pilot bonus, putting him in the overall lead.

8mZlm0H.png

Last edited:
Just submitted my entry, which should ensure I'm pinned firmly to the bottom of the leaderboard!

CMDR DogsBody, flying the Cobra Mk3 "Ride Like The Wind", round trip time 57 minutes, including leaving a Cobra shaped hole at Weber Legacy. I've been out investigating the Guardian ruins and didn't want to have to scoop up all their artefacts again, so did the trip with 12 of them in my cargo hold. Don't know whether it was those or the Crystalline Sphere that the pirates wanted but I had to fight off 5 interdiction attempts during the run.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
However, overall first place at this time goes to CMDR Ozric in his regulation Hauler The Littlest Hobo. Not only did he manage an impressive time by itself, arriving at Noriega Station with a scant 4% hull left and still managing to deliver the Crystalline Spheres unharmed qualifies him as the first commader to claim the Crash Pilot bonus, putting him in the overall lead.

Woohoo! Definitely going to make the most of this, cause it won't last for long!

run submitted hopefully with all the sreenshots this time

If you check Ozric's video a few posts back (#55 in my browser), you'll see that it might not always be that simple....

Yes it depends if you're having the issues when leaving a planet. If so then it's probably because the direction you're actually travelling isn't the direction you're aiming, look for the lines coming towards the screen to see the direction of travel (like in my video Ashnak pointed out). To leave the 4.7g planet when it was close to horizontal I made sure I turned to face it just as the FSD had finished preparing, so it said align with destination as my direction of travel was catching up to the way I was pointing. Not, like in my video, turn to face it first so that gravity took hold.

If that doesn't make sense, which is entirely possible, and people are still struggling I could knock together a comparison video.

And don't worry about sharing tips, that's part of what makes the BRC so great is that we help each other improve as pilots.

Last edited:
Wow -- just subjected myself to a bad case of rookie self-enlightenment with a 45:40 (open class, not yet uploaded). What I'm forced to admit about myself is:

1) I've been too damned lazy, usually using auto-dock once I get inside the mail slot {blushing} (mostly because I usually come screaming in with a smuggler's entry to avoid getting scanned. ...and my memory just isn't good enough to remember where the hell every landing pad is). I'd love any pointers or mnemonics for this as I've yet to discern a logical pattern that lets me figure out where the pad's going to be on the fly, so that auto-dock isn't faster than playing "find the pad" (which seems too often to be out of sight below me, with me having overshot it before I come to that realization).

2) I clearly need a better way to find my landing pad (potentially from among many that are lit up), and land at a planetary base without it taking all day -- I'm okay at getting down to the base; but then I'm hopelessly slow at (a) finding the right pad when you can't see the numbers, and (b) setting down on it in any amount of time less than the auto-dock's, especially on a high-G world. :-/

Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of hot-shot planetary-base landing videos to study (that I've found yet, anyway)...

Woohoo! Definitely going to make the most of this, cause it won't last for long!

Yes it depends if you're having the issues when leaving a planet. If so then it's probably because the direction you're actually travelling isn't the direction you're aiming, look for the lines coming towards the screen to see the direction of travel (like in my video Ashnak pointed out). To leave the 4.7g planet when it was close to horizontal I made sure I turned to face it just as the FSD had finished preparing, so it said align with destination as my direction of travel was catching up to the way I was pointing. Not, like in my video, turn to face it first so that gravity took hold.

If that doesn't make sense, which is entirely possible, and people are still struggling I could knock together a comparison video.

And don't worry about sharing tips, that's part of what makes the BRC so great is that we help each other improve as pilots.

I did 4 runs earlier on Saturday 3 I aborted due to cargo hatch malfunction while trying to leave I think it was Moore Beacon one of the runs I think lost around 40% of my hull before I stopped trying the 4th time all I can think of that I did differently was that when said to align with target was that I used the select next system command. The run that is on the board I had no issues with it telling me to align

A comparison video could be useful to see the difference. Unfortunately, I probably won’t be doing any more runs in this race as I am currently at Sagittarius A*

Last edited:
This may interest some punters here... Enjoy.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/211783197

Got it over 300m/s... [haha]

I think I'll go build a T10 for this run... Here come the Crash Dummies!

Susie
~~~~

Edit: pity such a high jump range is needed... That complicates things. [blah] Still, diving straight down may offset the added min per jump in a sub 57.2ly ship...

Last edited:

Speak for yourself please, the trick is all about appearing friendly and giving out tips that seem competent, but are totally out of whack. [big grin]
(joking of course, but still, the best way to approach a starport is on a straight line at 0:10 ETA. And never bookmark your route, it could lead to game crashes and potential irrecoverable loss of personal data. Honest.)

Wow -- just subjected myself to a bad case of rookie self-enlightenment with a 45:40 (open class, not yet uploaded).

Considering the inherent difficulty of this course, that doesn't look half bad to me. You're doing great!
As for a map of the landing pads, there are some around that have been posted in past race threads, I hope some good soul has a link to them, they always come handy. In the meantime, quite a bit of help in locating the pad is given by that small reticule just to the left of the heat meter in the hud, the one that usually gives a bearing for the locked system or object. Once you go past the mailslot (or if you are approaching a land base, as soon as you get a landing permission), it points you to your assigned pad. Always useful to me in finding at a glance those pesky pads 27-28-42-43.

Last edited:
Top Bottom