Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: On The Rocks 20-27 August 3304

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Bucky is down to his last bit of ice and he's loathe to use it for drinks...

an-kangaroo.jpg

1 hour until he can send you out to get him some more.

In game or using EDDiscovery, it is possible you have a different route to the one I was using too. There was always likely to be variations as I was sure the avid route plotters would be able to outdo EDDiscovery even.

I will have a look at it again when get back in the bubble it was just odd that I got all the others to match now that 40 has been corrected

Aaaand they're off!

Sadly, due to some terrible planning on my behalf I've just finished flying 11kly away from the bubble and am now committed to spending the next week or so drawing a 10kly long letter C on the galaxy which will form part of the latin inscription around a galaxy sized Fuel Rats logo.

kXgfjpK.png

I blame Cmdr Malibu who's insanity is both profound and contagious!

Good luck everyone, fly fast, I'm with you in spirit on this one if not in actual person.

Last edited:
In game or using EDDiscovery, it is possible you have a different route to the one I was using too. There was always likely to be variations as I was sure the avid route plotters would be able to outdo EDDiscovery even.Not sure why the link isn't working, but here:The Dolphin only has 6t of cargo space. You need to take 5t of cargo from the start and drop it off one at a time as you visit the stations, so you won't have enough space to pick up the 5t of Water from Felkan until at least the penultimate Asteroid base, but given it's position it makes sense to leave it till last. Not that you have to, obviously.If that's the clarification you were after?
That's fine,thank you.Tech and i have an uneasy relationship at the best of times.I only get a black screen whichever browser i use.I'm new at this,so the paperwork end of thing stumps me..First world problems,eh?:)Have fun,and good luck.

Have submitted an entry for my Python, as the run went very smoothly. It looks like Big Pappa's Base is going to be prone to giving me an obscured target when I leave and an earlier run was about two minutes slower as a result (although my supercruise approach there was also poor that run as I arrived on the wrong side of the rings). I'll see how much I can improve over the next few days before I think about switching to another ship. Have fun and fly fast all! o7

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well Bucky is far happier now, he knew if he could count on anyone it was the BRC. He has some ice in stock now and so he won't need to chip anything off his award winning ice sculpture!

There's been a few runs submitted on the first day and in fact Cmdr Sulu's attempt dropped just as I was about to post today's update. In Open Unlimited we've had two entries. First in was Cmdr. Edelgard Von Rhein, in his Python - Beyond Twilight's Veil, he struggled a bit with obscured jumps and getting back to grips with some of the more quirky aspects of Asteroid Base locations, but with a bit of ingenuity in his route planning he managed to save himself a jump. As previously mentioned Cmdr. Ikaru Sulu's attempt made it in just in time for today's leaderboard update, flying his Imperial Courier - Anabasii Celeste, it was remarked that this is the first time that he's ever had to actively try to add weight to and slow down a ship! And being a sleek machine like the Courier I can imagine some heads turning at such a comment.

ukfiVJkh.jpg

In the Regulation Dolphin class we give a huge Buckyball Racing Club welcome to first time participant Cmdr. Dlljs! Considering this is their first attempt at racing (in an official capacity at least) they posted a very respectable time. If you run this race a few times over the week, I guarantee you will be amazed at how much time you can knock off your initial run. If you have any questions then feel free to ask them, because one of the best things about the BRC races is that we share knowledge very freely (only routes are really guarded during the races).

1tFF3Wlh.jpg

Now where is my drink?

"Anyway there's the bar. Gentlemen, choose your weapons."

"You what?"

"I'm offering you a drink."

chandelier-bar.jpg

Just a quick question, How fast do you folks come thru the slot generally?

Thinking of entering one of these but I'd like to know how much I need to up my game...

It entirely depends on your ship and which landing pad you get really. That may sound like a bit of a copout answer, but my approach depends massively on how long it takes your landing gear to deploy. I'll generally sneak another boost in as long as I'm >2Km from the slot, if the landing pad is in the first 2 rows then I use the entrance to the station to slow myself down, if it's in the middle then I'll slow down as I go through and should be OK to land normally, if it's at the back then keep full throttle and use one of the control towers to slow down :D

I very rarely pay any attention to my actual speed, I just use the throttle indicator as a guide. But then I am a bit "special".

Last edited:
Just a quick question, How fast do you folks come thru the slot generally?

Thinking of entering one of these but I'd like to know how much I need to up my game...

I'm a little rusty, I've been playing Battletech for several months, then gave No Man's Sky: Next a whirl (wasn't my cup of tea), and then did a little Surviving Mars, so I'm only going through full throttle. Once I'm back in form, I'll start boosting through as well.

edit:

This is, of course, leaving the station. Entering the station, I stop boosting as I get close, and try to time dropping my landing gear so it'll be extended by the time I reach my pad's velocity dampening system. ;)

Last edited:
I'm a little rusty, I've been playing Battletech for several months, then gave No Man's Sky: Next a whirl (wasn't my cup of tea), and then did a little Surviving Mars, so I'm only going through full throttle. Once I'm back in form, I'll start boosting through as well.

edit:

This is, of course, leaving the station. Entering the station, I stop boosting as I get close, and try to time dropping my landing gear so it'll be extended by the time I reach my pad's velocity dampening system. ;)

OK, exiting I'm probably OK, I typically hit full throttle as I clear the lights. Overcorrecting gets me a faceplant on the front wall but...

Entering I thought I was daring coming thru the slot at 150+ and dropping gear as I came thru...

My constitution may not handle this level of stress ;P

Goezfasta tops out boosting at 488 or so, need to drop some weight and get her dirty Drives fully G5d.

Goezfasta tops out boosting at 488 or so, need to drop some weight and get her dirty Drives fully G5d.

That number sounds suspiciously like you're only running regular 3A thrusters. Swap them for Enhanced and do a bit of Engineering - this would be the racing loadout of Midnight Tango. Even got one ton to spare in the budget, so could add an ADS without too much of a penalty.
I won't be running in this race, though - I'm currently on the Gnosis, preparing for the jump into the Cone sector.

Entering I thought I was daring coming thru the slot at 150+ and dropping gear as I came thru...

My constitution may not handle this level of stress ;P

It isn't quite as impressive as it sounds. ;) I don't believe in grinding, and prefer to engineer my ships to endure hot jumps, as opposed to pure speed. Like many of my ships, Slave of the Empire still has its legacy G3 Clean Drive, so I'm going a wee bit slower than what a maxed out G5 Dirty Drive can do.

Just completed the bottom part of my letter 'C'. Reading this thread is keeping me sane. :p

Who'd have thought a Buckybal Race would be a beacon of sanity huh?

[haha]

That number sounds suspiciously like you're only running regular 3A thrusters. Swap them for Enhanced and do a bit of Engineering - this would be the racing loadout of Midnight Tango. Even got one ton to spare in the budget, so could add an ADS without too much of a penalty.
I won't be running in this race, though - I'm currently on the Gnosis, preparing for the jump into the Cone sector.

She is running a slight(G2 or G3, I forget at the moment) dirty drive but she is equipped for mission running at the moment.

It isn't quite as impressive as it sounds. ;) I don't believe in grinding, and prefer to engineer my ships to endure hot jumps, as opposed to pure speed. Like many of my ships, Slave of the Empire still has its legacy G3 Clean Drive, so I'm going a wee bit slower than what a maxed out G5 Dirty Drive can do.

So yo jump as soon as doing so wouldn't spike your heat over 100%?

So yo jump as soon as doing so wouldn't spike your heat over 100%?

100% be damned - this is Buckyball Racing! As soon as your FSD is recharged start charging the next jump. If your heat doesn't go above 100% then you're probably not trying hard enough!
:p
The only issue in a race like this one (where you need to carry cargo) is to keep an eye on cargo hold damage - if it goes much below 80% then all your valuable cargo is gonna fall out.

Top Bottom