Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

Commander: Crotalus
Ship Type: Imperial Cutter
Ship Name: Pandora
Class Unlimited
Time: 3 Hours 06 Minutes 59 Seconds

E3Qt3ty.jpg

FX4YkKk.jpg

Hi, after reading the quote below from the first page I have a question about the FSD module :

THE CURRENT CG & DUAL ENGINEERED FSDs

For anyone wondering about the potiential Class 5A "Super FSD" from the current community goals, as it is limited to a small subset of commanders, I'm unfortunately going to have to ban it from official runs in the A* Challenge. This means that from now on any runs made using class 5 FSDs will need to include a modification screenshot from the outfitting screen before running to be valid.

I wonder in what way the previous CG FSD is so special to be worth a ban. Someone told me it's because you can visit and engineeer and add an upgrade to those already upgraded modules. If so, is it true ?
I'm currently waiting for the FSD module of the current CG, which will have both Long range and Fast boot. Does this mean I could add another Long range on top of the existing one ? I find it unlikely as it would be completly OP, but I want to be sure so I ask you the question.

Hi, after reading the quote below from the first page I have a question about the FSD module :

I wonder in what way the previous CG FSD is so special to be worth a ban. Someone told me it's because you can visit and engineeer and add an upgrade to those already upgraded modules. If so, is it true ?
I'm currently waiting for the FSD module of the current CG, which will have both Long range and Fast boot. Does this mean I could add another Long range on top of the existing one ? I find it unlikely as it would be completly OP, but I want to be sure so I ask you the question.

As far as I am aware you can add any of the experimental effects to it.
A ship with a frameshift drive with increased range and faster boot with the mass manager effect would be around 5ly greater than one without the quick boot.

The CG FSD was banned because the Fast boot blueprint also increases optimal mass which increases your jump range. Once it is available from the tech brokers it will be unbanned again.

You can engineer it, but it will overwrite one of the existing ones, the Increased range I believe.

So ... now that the Super FSD is legal, is anyone (else) planning on making use of it? Would be interesting if the 'GT' class got a little more competitive. I can't see the Asp or Phantom challenging for the overall record, but i think it could be reasonably close.

Well, I did already outfit the FSD in "Technical Difficulties"... Next task is to rebuild the route, though. And to get mats, I am still very low on injects after the Beagle Point run...

So ... now that the Super FSD is legal, is anyone (else) planning on making use of it? Would be interesting if the 'GT' class got a little more competitive. I can't see the Asp or Phantom challenging for the overall record, but i think it could be reasonably close.
I'm thinking of doing a run with my phantom with the new FSD. Similar to Dr_Chives, I have to figure out my route, but I do have plenty of premium FSD injection mats after I spent last weekend farming them.

I just did my first Anaconda run, so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to my phantom run.

It was banned purely because it was impossible to obtain for anyone who missed the CG, and was slightly longer ranged than anything that was obtainable in game.

Now that it's possible for all players to get hold of one it's no longer banned.

I've popped onto the forums to check whether I'm affected by the editing bug, if not then I'll take down the notice from the OP.

Sorry I've been away for a while, hopefully the return of UK schools on 8th March will make my life less busy and I'll have time for Elite again.

Last edited:
Nope, unfortunately I can't edit the OP at the moment, but I can confirm that the experimental FSD is now legal for the A* Challenge.

Hopefully editing the forums will be fixed soon.

I'll get a scoreboard update sorted as soon as I can, might end up being next week.

I'd anticipated working mostly from home for the time being, with the kids at school. The schools being closed since January, but with quite organised home learning has screwed over my spare time quite badly.

Fingers crossed more free time will resume from next week!

I've just built a new PC (with my old graphics card... hmm), but have not had enough spare time to play on it at the moment!

Ravenov: Curbstomps everyone elses best times by a significant margin.
Also Ravenov: Eh, could have been better. My heart wasn't really in it.

You're ridiculous, man, it's awesome. My run yesterday also had some mistakes. Napkin math based on the mistakes I made, both in planning and in execution, puts me at maybe squeezing out just under 1 hour 45 min in my KraitP, and maybe under 1 hour 40 min with my Anaconda. But again, that's assuming no mistakes.

My biggest mistakes, time loss wise, is entering a neutron beam at a bad angle, or with just a bit too much speed, and getting slapped out of it before I get a charge. A preparation mistake this time had me overheat and take unnecessary damage to my fsd during my first refuel, because I forgot to turn off my AFMUs before I needed them.

Still, I can imagine that the only way I could match you is perfect execution combined with plotting a route manually. Spansh is an awesome dude, but there's only so far computers can take us.

The V1 FSD has promise, but also some foibles. Made mistakes of course, and need to tweak the route a little, but some more time in this yet. Still not sure if i have the optimal build around it yet...

Commander:Ravenov
Ship Type: Asp Explorer
Ship Name: Resonance Cascade
Class: Unlimited
Time: 1:37:13

8RLWsIo.png

YjAazEY.png

(screen with jump range Source: https://imgur.com/s6nVCbc.png
)
Congrat's ... nice run! New Asp X record right? Is this with the double engineered FSD from the recent CG?

Since the double engineered FSD is legal nowadays, I'd like to ask to mark the "old" times in the leaderboard? Pre-Doubleengineered-FSD or something like that? What do you think?

Since the double engineered FSD is legal nowadays, I'd like to ask to mark the "old" times in the leaderboard? Pre-Doubleengineered-FSD or something like that? What do you think?
I'll be adding an extra note to indicate that double-engineered modules were fitted.
The class-record histories will indicate before/after.
And the first run made with double-engineering (which I think was by @crotalus, but I'll check) will be noted in the history.

Other than that, I won't be distinguishing as unlimited class evolves with the game over time and anything unlockable by all players will always be allowed. So unfortunately, anyone who beats their existing single-engineered run with a double-engineered run will see no record of their old run on the boards (unless it was a class record, like @Ravenov's old run).

Top Bottom