Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Declaring intent to haul a hollow T6 to the core. If i don't post again in 11 hours i've failed to beat Rustys time.

Launch will be approx 09:50 game time

Loadout: http://imgur.com/a/Ws1aU
https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_t...s8f4-----372f-----.AwRj4yKA.Aw1-kA==?bn=Run 6

http://imgur.com/a/IWSzH
okay i'm done. Launch at 09:50:03. arrival time of 17:56:03. total flight time: 32 hours, 6 minutes, 0 seconds. (my personal best, previously 3d10h13s in FDL)
Ship name is Run 06

Last edited:
http://imgur.com/a/IWSzH
okay i'm done. Launch at 09:50:03. arrival time of 17:56:03. total flight time: 32 hours, 6 minutes, 0 seconds. (my personal best, previously 3d10h13s in FDL)
Ship name is Run 06
Good work CMDR o7

Well done to the others that did runs, would have said sooner but got caught up in the excitement of the alien wreckage treasure hunt lol.

Just so you know, I still intend to race, but the aforementioned treasure hunt got me distracted. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of the week but to reiterate:
Intent To Race:
Class: Standard
Ship: Asp Explorer
Name: Insert Name Here
Target: <12 Hours

Edit: On a side note, I may Twitch stream the event too. I can't promise it will be entertaining as I'm not an experienced streamer (any advice would be welcome on that front, but I don't have a PC so music is probably out of the question unless I hook my iPod up to a guitar amp or something). Would still be great for somneone to pop their head in and show their support though :D i'll post a link if/when I set a date and decide to stream

Last edited:
Good work CMDR o7

Well done to the others that did runs, would have said sooner but got caught up in the excitement of the alien wreckage treasure hunt lol.

Just so you know, I still intend to race, but the aforementioned treasure hunt got me distracted. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of the week but to reiterate:
Intent To Race:
Class: Standard
Ship: Asp Explorer
Name: Insert Name Here
Target: <12 Hours

Edit: On a side note, I may Twitch stream the event too. I can't promise it will be entertaining as I'm not an experienced streamer (any advice would be welcome on that front, but I don't have a PC so music is probably out of the question unless I hook my iPod up to a guitar amp or something). Would still be great for somneone to pop their head in and show their support though :D i'll post a link if/when I set a date and decide to stream

Good luck / fly fast / use the force Luke!

I'm really gutted that I missed out on all the treasure hunt stuff. I'm still sat at Jaques and haven't played at all since weekend!
Have you visited the crash site?

I'm really gutted that I missed out on all the treasure hunt stuff. I'm still sat at Jaques and haven't played at all since weekend!
If I had 100Cr for everytime I heard a Star Wars joke I'd hire a pilot to fly to Sag A* and back for me!!! :p

I've not visited it myself yet, been waiting for the excitement to die down to avoid griefers but I think I may nip over and grab some beauty shots with it and add them into my SC for the run.

Cheers :D

Seconded, good luck mate!

P.S. crash site is pretty awesome actually, definitely worth a visit! (no rush tho', my guess is that it'll be there forever).

Hi everyone !
I'll make a new run, "unlimited class"

Wow! That's some serious prep work :eek:
Good luck and fly fast!

I don't know if you've seen Simbad's A* Challenge yet, but they're basically offering prizes for the new fastest times (until the end of September), so you might want to consider signing up there too (if that's still possible, haven't read the rules too closely yet) ;)

Came to a realization tonight.

It's not so much that I need to step away for awhile, but that I have stepped away for awhile, and will need to be away for awhile longer.

Since August 10 or so, I've traveled about 6000 ly. For people in our position, that's like a leisurely stroll. I'm still floating somewhere between A* and occupied space in the aftermath of my last A* run. Basically, real-life hit pretty hard (in a good way) over the past few weeks and months, and it looks like it's going to continue to hit hard for awhile.

Hah, glad to see someone else is being as nuts as me. :D
I'm full of Yttrium now, and getting there with the other three...

Good luck on your run Up2d4t3... I see you're going pretty well already. :p

Edit:
Grats Up2d4t3, don't think we'll ever see the overall fastest time beaten by so much again! :D
Well, technically you were indeed correct, but... not by very much! What a run from Up2d4t3 :D

Last edited:
... and it's done ^^ 3h59'09"

WAPAUNA.jpg

sAcM2HK.png

Many thanks to everyone who saw that on live, really supportive.

You can watch the entire run here

Fly fast CMDRS o7

Last edited:
Grats on breaking the 4 hour mark! Great achievement Up2d4t3.

Well, technically you were indeed correct, but... not by very much! What a run from Up2d4t3 :D
My statement was based on my assumption that the first jumponium attempts would be incremental, eg using 50 J3s, 100 J3s, etc. But it is much easier to gather the materials now and you only need to be a third as crazy to do the full whack :cool: (*). So I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been beaten by more, moving goal posts and all that.

Speaking of which, in two or three weeks we might find that even Up2d4t3's record will be beaten by an even greater margin. It does seem that FDev want CMDRs to be able to get to the action within an evening's gameplay, wherever in the galaxy that action might be....

* - on my first uses of jumponium, it was a precious resource that had to be conserved and hard decisions made as to whether to use it for (a) or (b). Now it's rather a throwaway commodity and I've stopped bothering to plan routes when using it to get to the outermost reaches of the galaxy. Most CMDRs will welcome the increased accessibility but I can't help but mourn the all too quick loss of what was a really interesting mechanic when first introduced :(

... and it's done ^^ 3h59'09"

Wow. Congrats on such an amazing time! I think nobody would ever have thought about seing a '3' at the beginning of a travel time to Sgr A* in the earlier days of the game, except maybe for 30h or 3d estimates... :D

Last edited:
My statement was based on my assumption that the first jumponium attempts would be incremental, eg using 50 J3s, 100 J3s, etc. But it is much easier to gather the materials now and you only need to be a third as crazy to do the full whack :cool: (*). So I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been beaten by more, moving goal posts and all that.
Fair enough! I was planning to do such a thing (just "some" J3) but the more I thought about it, the more I realised if I was going to bother gathering all the damned things I might as well get them all. As you mention, 2.1.05 made that a somewhat easier proposition...

Speaking of which, in two or three weeks we might find that even Up2d4t3's record will be beaten by an even greater margin. It does seem that FDev want CMDRs to be able to get to the action within an evening's gameplay, wherever in the galaxy that action might be....
I'm waiting with interest to see what sort of numbers the white dwarf/neutron star mechanic is going to allow for... I think it'd have to be something pretty special to justify what would likely be a pretty significant detour to find them in sufficient numbers to use them.

* - on my first uses of jumponium, it was a precious resource that had to be conserved and hard decisions made as to whether to use it for (a) or (b). Now it's rather a throwaway commodity and I've stopped bothering to plan routes when using it to get to the outermost reaches of the galaxy. Most CMDRs will welcome the increased accessibility but I can't help but mourn the all too quick loss of what was a really interesting mechanic when first introduced :(
In some ways I'm inclined to agree (despite that going against my interests, heh)... Jumponium was a limited resource that - for J3, at least - you had to think carefully about using. Now, well I've managed to gather the better part of 1000 in maybe 25-30 hours' playtime. That's quite a long time, but that's also nearly an entire hold full of the stuff. :p

Last edited:
Well done Up2d4t3, awesome time. :D

I think that the amount of planning involved will stop me ever trying to challenge your time.

I'm curious how fast the record will go if neutron hopping stacks with jumponium, there's plenty of WDs within a jump of Sol.

Now, well I've managed to gather the better part of 1000 in maybe 25-30 hours' playtime. That's quite a long time, but that's also nearly an entire hold full of the stuff. :p
Is it a lot easier to find now, or was that just due to the x3 multiplier?

Last time I looked for polonium (in good places) it took me 14 hours to find 2 fragments. Although I actually found both within 30 minutes on my "this is definitely the last time" attempt.

I kind of figured that since the patch I'd have just found 6 rather than 2.

I'm waiting with interest to see what sort of numbers the white dwarf/neutron star mechanic is going to allow for... I think it'd have to be something pretty special to justify what would likely be a pretty significant detour to find them in sufficient numbers to use them.
Whilst white dwarfs are essentially non-existant outside of the bubble and the neutron star band (-/- 1000 LY from the galactic plane), neutron stars themselves are sufficiently abundant that a 200 or so LY range would be ample to make a significant difference. And if it's going to be less than 200 LY then might as well not bother.

The key issue for me is how much damage would be incurred. And my guide for that is that (a) fuel scooping was supposed to be dangerous and, indeed, is until you've learnt how to win the simple mini-game and (b) they only mentioned damage to the FSD so easily repaired.

Is it a lot easier to find now, or was that just due to the x3 multiplier?

Last time I looked for polonium (in good places) it took me 14 hours to find 2 fragments. Although I actually found both within 30 minutes on my "this is definitely the last time" attempt.

I kind of figured that since the patch I'd have just found 6 rather than 2.
Each fragment should now give you three actual pieces. It's still only shown as one on the contacts list but your inventory should increase by three for each one.

Within the bubble & other well explored areas, this is "just" a three times increase since a simple google search gives you the places to look. Outside of it, the ability to see the available materials from a surface scan makes it many times easier. The most time consuming part of the original implementation was that you just didn't know whether a planet had polonium or not until often after being on it for 30 minutes or more. Now you know straight away.

I'm not going to suggest that it was "good" before as it could be an incredible PITA (on my trip to the outermost rim just after Horizons was launched I landed on more than a hundred planets searching for polonium which would be an absolute deal breaker for the average CMDR), but the general concept of jumponium being a limited resource improved the experience for me. I understand that there does need to be a solution that satisfies both the CMDR who can spend 8 hours a day and the one that can only manage that much per week. The original implementation didn't work for both, but neither does the current IMO. Something that automatically awarded, eg, one J3 per day would be fairer to both and likely less frustrating all round. Gamey for sure, but no less gamey than so much else within ED.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom