Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Ice-Cool Trucker Bootlegger Challenge - 15 to 30 August 3301

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not too long ago I also finished a run in Open. This time better planning out my route so I wouldn't be surprised by the lack of available bourbon, I went out in my Asp and was back in a cool 1:01:14. I'm gonna go and shape up my skills somewhat, some of the landings were a bit iffy on my part and I could really have done without the two interdictions (by NPC's, no less). I'm confident I should be able to get below the sixty minute mark.

The supply of commodities is quite low, at least for the larger ships. With my route, the larger ships (that need to bring 64t at minimum) wouldn't even be able to qualify. Heck, I was afraid my Asp wouldn't be able to qualify until the seventh stop, where I was finally able to stock up to a total of more than 30t.

Anyway, I've made a bit of profit with my two runs (and the botched runs I did, I forgot to make a few screens here and there). I think I might buy and kit out an Eagle and use that to do a run for Mrs. Lonnegan.

Last edited:
I'll try and run this a couple of times at the weekend. If it goes well I might attempt it in another ship but the Null Geodesic is built for racing so it will be my first choice.
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein
Open
Ship Type: Cobra Mk3
Ship Name: Null Geodesic

Not too long ago I also finished a run in Open. This time better planning out my route so I wouldn't be surprised by the lack of available bourbon, I went out in my Asp and was back in a cool 1:01:14. I'm gonna go and shape up my skills somewhat, some of the landings were a bit iffy on my part and I could really have done without the two interdictions (by NPC's, no less). I'm confident I should be able to get below the sixty minute mark.

LOL ... currently I'm beating you by 7 seconds! It seems we are both plagued by interdictions and the task of breaking the 1hr barrier!

Does anyone have any moderately successful tactics for avoiding NPC interdictions? I was considering trying out a technique of deliberately overshooting and slingshotting around the planet, thereby doing a 180 at the last minute, hopefully just before I get interdicted. I have attempted to fly in on a fairly crazy figure 8 approach but I suspect it's pointless given that they are still essentially behind me.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any moderately successful tactics for avoiding NPC interdictions? I was considering trying out a technique of deliberately overshooting and slingshotting around the planet, thereby doing a 180 at the last minute, hopefully just before I get interdicted. I have attempted to fly in on a fairly crazy figure 8 approach but I suspect it's pointless given that they are still essentially behind me.
I suspect my wacky planetary braking maneuvers actually help me out in this regard (although at least initially I slow down at the same time/speed as if I weren't mad, it's only later I deliberately go too fast)... I did get interdicted once on my Black Riband run, though.
Unfortunately, I suspect one highly successful tactic will be "don't be pledged to a power" :D

Last edited:
It is with a heavy heart and much anguish that I must announce:
That my latest attempt to set a record time on "Mrs Lonnegan's Ultimate Spa Weekend Challenge" was met with an abrupt and most unfortunate end prematurely.
Lakon Type-9's are very unforgiving with their area requirements whilst in the letterbox, and meeting one face first at irresponsible speeds does not bode well for a Commanders Longevity.

I think ive been lucky with interdictions, ive had one I evaded in 6 attempts..
don't quote me on this but I heard the higher your combat rank the less chance you have of being interdicted..
im dangerous so im not sure if that's helping me, I try and just show my backside to the star for a third of the arc to the station.. whenever I just head for it.. I give the npcs more time to dict me. so by arcing, on the last half of the journey the newly spawned npcs at the star cant get behind you. you can still get dicted though as npcs can just spawn in behind you at any time from created signal sources, another tip would be try and spend less time in SC and avoid systems where npcs have already been created by other players.. so busy systems.. i.e. lave and leesti.

Alright, alright! I'll give it a go!

CMDR Cheetah
Open
Ship Class: Asp Explorer
Ship Name: The Sleep Awakes

Just got my brain back from the CG grind...

BRC_icecoolboot_flyer.jpg

Current Standings.
***IMPORTANT NOTICE: INDI BOURBON IS NOW SUPPRESSED BY THE BACKGROUND SIM AND IS NOT AVAILABLE***

LXno5JT.png

tmUWKmL.png

YtsFqzJ.png

The Black Riband.

PxZZ2LI.png

G6wv9Nl.png

The Simulator.

rgDXy7b.png

The Pre-Flight Staging Area.

ZWeFp7X.png

Queuing for the Simulator.

UnaOsEI.png

Day 4 of the Bootlegger Challenge and there's only been updates to the main event today, mainly due to some maniac in a Type-9 ruining Ceska's daily Spa Trophy run.

Alec Turner managed to improve the Bananery Fandango's best time by almost two minutes and that time in the Simulator paid off for Tim Falcon with an impressive first run in the Asp Margje , arriving at Weyl just 7 seconds behind Alec's DBX.

Neither could quite get their times below that elusive par time of one hour for now though; the same cannot be said for Buckyball Veteran Cheetah who made an excellent first run of 58:49 in his Asp Explorer The Sleeper Awakes.

Finally the Cobra Mk III Null Geodesic flown by CMDR Edelgard von Rhein joins The Nomad, Bertha Eats Pirates and The Badger in the pre-flight area - Good Luck CMDR! If any ship deserves to do well in the Bootlegger Challenge it's the classic Mk III.

Last edited:
Okay, so I got my Eagle, got used to be able to turn tighter corners, and I'm gonna do a run or two in that.

CMDR Tim Falcon

Open
Ship Class: Eagle
Ship Name: Nimble Flipper

Thanks everyone for your nice comments on here and via email, etc. Glad you're enjoying the race, I'm really enjoying running it. :)

I'd still like to have a shot at the Spa Trophy, but I'll probably have to leave my run until this weekend, as I've got to admit I never actually imagined it as a 3+ hour journey! I'll struggle to find time on a work night (although I could update the board and watch a movie during the super-cruise I guess).

Alternatively, I might sneak in and try to grab the "Best Trader League" while no one's watching! ;)

I think ive been lucky with interdictions, ive had one I evaded in 6 attempts..
don't quote me on this but I heard the higher your combat rank the less chance you have of being interdicted..
im dangerous so im not sure if that's helping me, I try and just show my backside to the star for a third of the arc to the station.. whenever I just head for it.. I give the npcs more time to dict me. so by arcing, on the last half of the journey the newly spawned npcs at the star cant get behind you. you can still get dicted though as npcs can just spawn in behind you at any time from created signal sources, another tip would be try and spend less time in SC and avoid systems where npcs have already been created by other players.. so busy systems.. i.e. lave and leesti.

My experiences are similar to robinjb's, I don't tend to get interdicted very often by NPCs. If I'm concerned about any NPCs behind me I drop under the systems orbital plane and approach the planet/station from below. NPCs who aren't after you obviously don't follow you down and it keeps your tail turning away from pursuers while you decelerate.

When I did quite a few smuggling missions in the week before robinjb's warm-up race, I did notice that NPCs who are specifically generated to interfere with your mission are often waiting close to the planet/station rather than the star. These are obviously going to be harder to avoid unless you are really good at timing gravity braking perfectly. It's probably better to overshoot and come back around than to get stranded in the gravity well at 100m/s.

The supply of commodities is quite low, at least for the larger ships. With my route, the larger ships (that need to bring 64t at minimum) wouldn't even be able to qualify. Heck, I was afraid my Asp wouldn't be able to qualify until the seventh stop, where I was finally able to stock up to a total of more than 30t.
I've found that if you're visiting several stations you can usually expect your rares-spawns to average out at just over half the maximum from a single spawn in each station. The screenshots and videos that I've received for this race seem to back up my own findings.

Running the shortest possible route in the race (in LY), between stations within a reasonable distance of the entry point you'd expect to gather just over 50 tons from a single spawn at each station. You'd also expect a similar amount from the Black Riband run (which has a max of 91t). So running one of the heavy ships through either route, you'd probably need to revisit one or two stations to fill up unless you got lucky spawns with a couple of the commodities with higher caps.

There are routes available that are a similar length to the Black Riband run that are more than likely to spawn at least 64 tons though, so an Anaconda run of less than an hour is certainly possible. The other big ships are too short ranged to put in a really fast run anyway.

The thing is though that rares trading is nearly all done by ships ranging from Haulers up to Asps, as the Type-7s, Clippers, Pythons, etc can do better by just grinding out profits with their huge holds. I think that the race kind of reflects that, because any of the heavy ships should be able to easily beat any ship from the lighter classes in the "Best Trader" event.

Anyway, I've made a bit of profit with my two runs (and the botched runs I did, I forgot to make a few screens here and there). I think I might buy and kit out an Eagle and use that to do a run for Mrs. Lonnegan.
Good luck with your Spa Trophy Run.

By the way, if you can set up Shadowplay (nvidia) or Raptr (AMD) to record your runs, then you never need to worry about missing screenshots, you can just grab the screens from your recorded run later even if you aren't planning to upload your video recording. I know that it's not much help if your pc struggles with the game anyway, but Shadowplay has minimal overheads as its hardware based I believe, and Raptr seems to have very little impact when I run it for my AMD card.

Last edited:
By the way, if you can set up Shadowplay (nvidia) or Raptr (AMD) to record your runs, then you never need to worry about missing screenshots, you can just grab the screens from your recorded run later even if you aren't planning to upload your video recording. I know that it's not much help if your pc struggles with the game anyway, but Shadowplay has minimal overheads as its hardware based I believe, and Raptr seems to have very little impact when I run it for my AMD card.

I shudder to imagine how much space the recorded video for a 3+hour run would take up...

I shudder to imagine how much space the recorded video for a 3+hour run would take up...
Allow me to introduce you to a small section of my videos folder... :D

bbr-videos.png

You may be entirely unsurprised to learn that "output.mp4" is my first BBR A* run stitched together. And that was recorded downscaled to 720p! :p
(My last two A* runs I never bothered stitching them together, but the folders are 113GB and 88GB respectively...)

Last edited:
(My last two A* runs I never bothered stitching them together, but the folders are 113GB and 88GB respectively...)

Terrifying.

That said, I might record my bootlegger runs when I get around to them, then just pull the shots I need, now that I can use shadowplay. Seems much easier than fumbling for the screenshot button and mashing it to make sure it actually took.

Terrifying.

That said, I might record my bootlegger runs when I get around to them, then just pull the shots I need, now that I can use shadowplay. Seems much easier than fumbling for the screenshot button and mashing it to make sure it actually took.
My recording strategy consists of recording at full quality with Shadowplay (usually at full resolution, unless it's >1h or so in which case downscale to 720p) and then re-encode it later using ffmpeg for uploading. Means if you want particular bits (such as impressively bad landings :D) at full quality later, you still have them...

And yeah, screenshots from videos is much easier and less stressful. :D

Last edited:
Raptr uses about 8GB per hour at 720p, I've never set it higher than that as I've only just started playing the game in 1080p.

I'd rather use the 20-30GB and then delete the file later if I don't want to keep it than make a Spa Run and then realise that I'd forgotten to press F10 at Hutton Orbital. ;)

Just a quick update to say that the deep curve trajectory in to a station has proved to be very successful at avoiding interdictions today. I've always done shallow arcs in but widening the curve a bit more seems to have done the trick because, you guessed it, I have broken the one hour barrier! I know several of you are way under it now but it was definitely proving to be my own personal demon so I'm well chuffed.

Oh, and an apology to whoever it was that I slammed into on my way out of Lave Station (or was it Bast?) this afternoon. I swerved out of the green exit lane to overtake an NPC on a very leisurely exit path and then promptly full powered myself into a head on collision with an incoming commander. If it's any consolation I took my own hull down to 21% and got a nice juicy speeding fine. I hope I didn't kill you!

You know what - Evil Juice hallucinations, missile attacks, collisions and speeding fines - it's just like being a real galactic gangster drug runner. Cue badass soundtrack ...

[video=youtube_share;A4qRY8UDIZ0]http://youtu.be/A4qRY8UDIZ0[/video]

Dammit! I thought I'd beaten Alot's time - but realised I'd misremembered his exact time, so close but not quite :mad:. The NPC interdiction along the way definitely made the difference...

Dammit! I thought I'd beaten Alot's time - but realised I'd misremembered his exact time, so close but not quite :mad:. The NPC interdiction along the way definitely made the difference...
Uh oh, do I need to stop trading and hop into Big Bird to start trying to go faster :D

Alec, good to know! I'll see if I can't swing that too (pun intended).

Anyway, I think I'll have to restore the Nimble Flipper tomorrow. For the Spa Run, with three out of four stops done, I only had to pay a visit to Hutton Orbital and I would've been home free. Halfway there, something dawned on me. A few calculations in my head told me that I was going to cut it close, or not cut it all.

I kid you not. 28,944 lightseconds away from Hutton Orbital, I ran out of fuel. I had completely underestimated the fuel needs of this trip. Funny, how I thought I'd save valuable time not hanging around Alpha Centauri too much. I mean, I could just refuel fully in the blink of an eye at Hutton, right?

Well, there I was, stranded in outer space, without fuel, but as I hit the switch to engage the self destruct sequence, I could swear I could feel the warmth of Proxima Centauri. It felt like home.

Edit: Fudge it. Unless the rules say I can't, I'm just gonna pay the insurance and try again right now.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom