Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents :- 'The Wasat Cup' Buggyball (23rd-25thFeb)

buggyball1wasat_banner.png

Buckyball Racing Club presents a Mid Week Madness event :- 'The Wasat Cup' Buggyball
The Buggyball is a horizons only Time trial race
RACE COURSE:- WASAT A2 E , ELWOOD CAMP TO FERGUSON PROSPECT.
The course length is 50km and the estimated drive time is 25-35 minutes
Course map:-
bbwasat_map.jpg

Post your CMDR name , USER name if different and BUGGY name in the thread to get on the starting grid.

RACE TIME :-BETWEEN 00:00 23rd FEB to 23.59 25th FEB GMT
RACE INSTRUCTIONS:-
1.Land at Elwood camp on Wasat A2E.
2.Take start screenshot of clock/ start vidcap.
3.enter buggy, select Ferguson prospect in nav panel and drive to Ferguson prospect
(ask for docking permission from ferguson prospect 7-5KM out.)
(if your ship goes to another base, cancel docking from the wrong base, relock Ferguson and request again )
4.drive to pad enter ship and take stop screenshot of clock / stop vidcap.

SEND start and stop screenshots for an unofficial time on the board to BRCWUR@buckyballracing.org.uk
at the end of the event the top racers will be required to upload video evidence of there time for the final leader board.

RACE RULES / NOTES.

NOTES:-
synthesis is allowed but incurs a time penalty of 1 minute per repair
this is to give a slight advantage to racers who make the run without repair. whilst acknowlaging it can be dangerous to drive quickly for 30minutes.
the organiser cannot be held responsible for any pychos trying to blow you or ship up in open, it will be safer to run in solo or in a group.
feel free to organise a time for you and other CMDR's to race togeahter.
it should be noted that landing pads are start/ finish locations for drivers consequently there is no one start / finish line.
take note of the pad sizes and locations and plan your runs accordingly. Make sure you have the correct base selected before requesting docking permission as you drive towards it.
decent open source, relatively unobtrusive vid cap software can be found here (https://obsproject.com)
There will be a leader board and the winner will be the fastest verified time at the end of the race on the 26th

F.A.Q

-What do i need?
Horizons, An SRV (buggy) ,video capture software for competative entrants
45 mins ish to get to wasat and do a run

-What's the BRC? is it like the RAC?, will you come and tow me?
no, sry.. the BRC is the buckyball racing club, we do rally style races in ships normally. but this is the first buggy ball race of hopefully more to come.

-I don't have screen capture software, can i enter?
sure you can just enter for fun, but competative times will need to be verified by uploading a video somewhere.
try OBS (https://obsproject.com) which is open source and should do a basic job for evidence purposes.

-When is the race on?
RACE TIME BETWEEN 00:00 23rd FEB to 23.59 25th FEB
you can enter any number of attempts during the 48hrs the event is held.

-What do i do?
post your intent to race in this thread to get on the starting grid.
USER NAME
CMDR NAME
BUGGY NAME
If you haven't worked it out yet.. buckyball's are time trail races.. the buggyball is no different. the fastest timed run over the duration of the event wins.
land your buggy equiped ship at either ports landing pads. start your video capture recording and take a screenshot of the time on the dash
then deploy your buggy and race like the clappers to the other port. remembering to ask for docking permission when you are within 7.5km ,
find your pad, return to the ship and take the final screenshot of the time on the dash. stop your vid cap recording and check your time.
congratulations you are a buggyballer!
send the 2 screenshots to the BRCWUR email address above.
be ready to upload the video of your run should you have a winning time for checking.
if you get a podium position please send a selfy of you in your buggy.

-How long is it between the 2 bases?

the course is about 50km and should take you between 25-35 minutes.. you may blow up and be sent to Behring point. in which case it will take you longer.

-Can i race in a wing?
By all means it will make your run more enjoyable, as long as you record the run and take the correct screenshots at the start finish of the time your run is valid.

-Can i use repair synthesis?
Yes but they incur a 1 min time penalty

-How will you know if ive repaired?
I wont but if you win and your video evidence shows you using repair you will incur the penalty and the wrath of of bucky.

-Hold on a minute.. why isnt there a start / finish line and you take times from a vidcap timestamp.
Thats all a bit too complicated.. buckyball runs rely on screenshots to varify location at a time where the clock is viewable on the HUD because for this race.. itd be easy to fly from start to finish and post a time you are required to have videod your run for the purposes of validating the submitted times.
Start your engines and good luck to all.

EDIT:- buggyball 1 over, thanks to all those that competed. here's a pic of the winners.

buggyballwinners.jpg

Final Leader board
buggyball1_leaderF.jpg

take a moment please to remember all those buggies we lost.
bbwasat_map_death.jpg

The top 3 times vid uploads are here :-
1st CMDR AkenB : https://youtu.be/W5zPhgG_4rs
2nd CMDR Ozric : https://youtu.be/tCyMDZbC6-0
3rd CMDR Heat shield : https://youtu.be/KllkZFZTbd8
if you missed it and you wanted to know what it was like without watching a 25 min long vid.. check out Furrycats excellent short race experience cat cam here: https://youtu.be/m66-eNvLPJ0

Last edited:
Intent to race ...

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Buggy: Eat My Rubber

Cheers Alec, could just be me and you mate..
heres a short vid of you racing the course the other night. its all very xfiles with the volumetric beams. ;)
[video=youtube_share;3M-aLT2xo-M]https://youtu.be/3M-aLT2xo-M[/video]
and a nice sedate course flyover from Elwood to Ferguson
[video=youtube_share;XsMtKS_i3IQ]https://youtu.be/XsMtKS_i3IQ[/video]

Last edited:
Cheers Alec, could just be me and you mate..
heres a short vid of you racing the course the other night. its all very xfiles with the volumetric beams. ;)

LOL - main rep tank drained, sorry :)

I must say that video looks very elegant and graceful from the air, for the benefit of those considering taking part it's MUCH more lively down at ground level :D

Kinda reminds me of a cross between this ...

[video=youtube;MNnlykTxbB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnlykTxbB0[/video]
.. and this ..

[video=youtube;_laxMZRu9Wo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laxMZRu9Wo[/video]

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Real life really knows when to get in the way to disrupt my racing... Sorry I got no practice in and went quiet, but I am still well up for this!

Cmdr: Ozric
SRV(thankyou very much:p): Little blue dune buggy

Not sure I can get behind the it'll be safer to run in Solo or Group though, Open all the way :)

Last edited:
Sadly, the Cookiebots don't have landing permission and they couldn't get their actuators on a SRV either...

This event sounds like really much fun, but I'll miss it. :(
Well, I just hope that it's successful and that there's another one after I come back from DW :p

Any chance of getting it put up on the website, so I can point people there?

Drakhyr holds the keys to the website.. if you mean the BRC site.. otherwise.. please send anyone you may think would like to have a go to this thread.

Not sure I can get behind the it'll be safer to run in Solo or Group though, Open all the way :)
I know the regular Buckyballers have no fear of death.. its just a disclaimer I've got to make people aware of.

This event sounds like really much fun, but I'll miss it. :(
Well, I just hope that it's successful and that there's another one after I come back from DW :p
Cheers Cookie.

Last edited:
Got part way into my run and was taking way too much damage...and my buggy wouldn't jump. Turns out that my engines were set to 0 pips. That was odd.

Last edited:
Got part way into my run and was taking too way much damage...and my buggy wouldn't jump. Turns out that my engines were set to 0 pips. That was odd.

hopefully you wont have the same trouble you had on your sadge run Jhyrrl ;) , the race opens tonight at midnight GMT remember.. unless your warming up on the track ;) look forward to see you later.. I should be about Wasat A2 E at 1am GMT.

Last edited:
Looks very good Kligg...although I now have both my CMDRs out in the black. Rusti is finally on his way home and Black Rat is heading out. I doubt I'll get back in time to enter this one but hopefully I'll be back in the racing seat soon(tm).

Good luck CMDRs :)

hopefully you wont have the same trouble you had on your sadge run Jhyrrl ;) , the race opens tonight at midnight GMT remember.. unless your warming up on the track ;) look forward to see you later.. I should be about Wasat A2 E at 1am GMT.
Warming up...yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing! Obviously I'm just ironing out wrinkles before the race *actually* starts. :eek:

Looks very good Kligg...although I now have both my CMDRs out in the black. Rusti is finally on his way home and Black Rat is heading out. I doubt I'll get back in time to enter this one but hopefully I'll be back in the racing seat soon(tm).

Good luck CMDRs :)
Thanks for dropping by Rusti, the mid week slots are just an idea to do some different things to keep the hardcore from off the streets. you shouldn't feel bad about missing them.. the main events are the ones you should feel bad about missing if you are flying BRC colours. ;)

Intent to "race" - I'll be making last place my own I expect. :)

CMDR Raiko
I hadn't even considered that SRVs could have names, so I'll have to get back to you. ;)

Some excuse to land on a rock and drive around like there's no tomorrow, ON PURPOSE?

Count me in!
(if I get to have the time, I really hope to)

Official race intent as soon as I can confirm I can be in the race. It must be fun! ;)

Also, I'm still fresh as far as landing and driving are concerned, I didn't even know that I could ask docking permission to a base while driving and my ship would dock accordingly! :eek:

Also, I'm still fresh as far as landing and driving are concerned, I didn't even know that I could ask docking permission to a base while driving and my ship would dock accordingly! :eek:
Yeah, but it will only dock if you dismissed it from the other base. There's something weird going on in the code with assumptions about there only being 1 base per instance, so is taking shortcuts with targeting that mess things up.

My recommendation is that when you are at the halfway point of your run, dismiss your ship. Then when you get within 5 km of Ferguson, target Ferguson and request docking. Once your ship is docked, target your ship from the Contact list and that will lead you directly to your pad.

Is there a risk dismissing the ship immediately as you drive away?

Sorry I know that Robin's made several posts about this, I need to get playing instead of checking through different threads. :)

Top Bottom