Bug: Class 3 Fragment Cannons now fail to deploy.

As of 3308-03-29, Class 3 Fragment Cannons are still unusable and have been so for 14 days.

Thanks extended for the positive signs; for what it is worth, I can recall any specifics as needed. To extend the Discovery Scanner Weekly Update a little, it is specifically the Gimbal variant affected, and it also affects non-Horizons (only Odyssey is unaffected).

One other observation I have yet to mention is that deploying Hardpoints uses no additional power for those Fragment Cannons. They are accounted both in the Outfitting interface and in the Modules panel, while actually deploying the Hardpoints causes no additional power usage nor fuel per time for the Fragment Cannons, only for my other weapons.

By the numbers, with two Fragment Cannons each using 1.55 MW and a lot of prior testing to establish that Power Plants run at 0.08 T/MWh:
  • I use 23.56 MW retracted, which should equate to 1.8848 T/h, and indeed shows 1.88 T/h.
  • I should use 32.04 MW deployed, or 2.5632 T/h, and in Odyssey indeed shows 2.56 T/h.
  • I actually show 2.32 T/h deployed in Horizons, which matches 32.04 - 2(1.55) = 28.94 MW equating to 2.3152 T/h.

More unrelated small Odyssey bugs found while using it for functional Fragment Cannons:
  • When binding an action to the back-slash key, the Controls list displays two back-slashes.
  • Actions bound to the back-slash key fail to trigger (though remain in the Controls list) after a restart of Odyssey. Workaround is to bind the action again, each time Odyssey is started.

As of 3308-04-04, Class 3 Fragment Cannons are still unusable and have been so for 20 days.

I still have the growing list of minor Odyssey quirks while Horizons is effectively down, though I have just now witnessed something potentially ruinous. It has occurred three times for me, I am only mostly sure as opposed to completely sure of the effect, and I am aware that only a video will actually suffice to demonstrate it. I will try to capture such after I have a replay buffer set up on this PC, although please note that it is hazardous and not actually something I wish to induce voluntarily:

In Odyssey, when a target deploys a Ship-Launched Fighter, nearby ships are pushed away with multiple impulse-waves (unreasonably, though that is an independent issue). When this occurs just after having collided with said target, I witnessed each impulse-wave also reapplying per wave that same instance of collision damage again.

A lighter collision instance repeated its damage this way earlier and reduced my shield from 50% to 25%, and just this moment a heavier damage repetition reduced shield/hull from 40%/100% to 0%/92%, quite a lot more than I had planned to spend on the primer collision in the first place and pushing me into evasive action.

As I mentioned, I am slightly short of being completely sure about it, so the assessment may be similarly approximate.

More miscellaneous smaller Odyssey bugs encountered while using it for functional Fragment Cannons:
  • As above, being too close to a SLF deployment causes unreasonable impulses which knock oneself away. This looks to be by design to make way for the SLF, I just disagree with it as being totally unphysical given how every other aspect of flight works, and also a cheap way for my target to escape the difficult situation I have just worked to create.
  • When opening the Galaxy map from the Fleet Carrier administration interface, pressing the Home button does nothing until after the map is moved slightly (it should move to one's present system, and otherwise does).
  • Opening any full-screen interface (such as Galaxy map, Fleet Carrier administration, Power play, Engineers) also performs an unwanted zeroing of throttle, both in normal flight and in Supercruise, even with SCA otherwise active. In normal flight, it also forces Flight Assist on just to achieve its uninvited stopping of movement, and the COVAS even announces that.
  • In the Shipyard menu, selecting a ship in the list to the right often does not work with the mouse. Moving the mouse around other parts of the interface then back again seems to be a workaround.
  • As an additional effect observed not drawing in the correct order, the Starport holographic advertisements are also drawn behind Nightvision highlights for surfaces of which the holographic plane should be ahead. Nightvision actually accounts for the majority of this issue, if not the entirety, pending a deeper test of whether nearby beam effects draw ahead of distant explosions.
  • The lower-right notifications (such as Route plotted, Bookmark added) should be moved upwards just a bit while seated in a starship, so that they do not obstruct the fuel gauge. I have not checked the placement while on-foot but I presume it is appropriate.

So, it's coming up on 4 weeks now ... is there any chance of this being fixed, ever?
Yep when the EDH button launches the EDO client after update stops PCs running EDH clients and moves every one to EDO clients only...

Removing the EDH 3.8 client use fixes it...

As of 3308-04-11, Class 3 Fragment Cannons are still unusable and have been so for 27 days.

Over the last week, I have seen a sharp increase in Commanders interested to fly a Mamba for combat. I have a lot of material which caters to this specifically, but it requires those Fragment Cannons available and their absence is now harming that participation.

Is there any advance on having started investigating the problem?

If not, answering that is likely disallowed, but would it then help nonetheless to attempt asking the right question? What possibly could affect one specific class of a specific weapon, and none other? That seems akin to asking what has each weapon which is not shared with anything else. The model, the texture, the sounds, the animation? Additional properties such as the time required to deploy? If any of that were to be missing or wrong, would it invalidate the weapon somehow?

Is there any advance on having started investigating the problem?
Team are aware and investigating.

Well, Zac has said they are aware and investigating. I personally find it hard to imagine that it could possibly be a long investigation once started - it's not intermittent or hard to reproduce. If I were to make a wild and baseless guess, I'd say a 5-minute study of the commits should highlight the offending code and bingo, job done... Maybe it is already fixed but they now have to wait for the next patch to go out.

Well, Zac has said they are aware and investigating. I personally find it hard to imagine that it could possibly be a long investigation once started - it's not intermittent or hard to reproduce. If I were to make a wild and baseless guess, I'd say a 5-minute study of the commits should highlight the offending code and bingo, job done... Maybe it is already fixed but they now have to wait for the next patch to go out.

A 5-minute study that's taken 27 days to do.

I wish I could get away with that at work.

IIRC only the large gimbaled frags were affected?
in which case the fixed pacs are not quite the replacement

Correct, and an understatement; Pacifiers would not work at all as a replacement for my usual use of Fragment Cannons, or at best would match a pair of Multi-cannons.

I have video capture configured now, and I thought to make a quick demonstration of the class 3 gimbal Fragment Cannons doing what they do best. This was possible in Horizons until 28 days ago.

I have video capture configured now, and I thought to make a quick demonstration of the class 3 gimbal Fragment Cannons doing what they do best.
Wow, nice flying! o_O:alien:
I now have lots of questions about your video :D
Firstly, I don't recognise that ship outline - what were you flying?
Second: how on earth do you get the shield percentage displayed on your HUD? It has never shown for me, as far as I can remember (back to 2019).
Finally: HOTAS or HOSAS? :)

Firstly, I don't recognise that ship outline - what were you flying?
Mamba aka a Rebalanced FDL
Second: how on earth do you get the shield percentage displayed on your HUD?
EDO Update removed it from with in your legs display so they added bodge to display it there was only added after feedback was never planned to be there. lol last minuite change put it there..
It has never shown for me, as far as I can remember (back to 2019).
Yep it wont untill EDH client is retired and all PC players are put on EDO client..
These are easy to answer...

Last edited:
Top Bottom