Build our own Settlements

Base building was going to be an Odyssey feature but got pulled when the decision was made to just release straight from alpha
It was never featured in any of the videos leading up to the alpha...
We knew it was coming way before that as it was part of the Watson leak
Did we? So it just wan't a work of fiction, then?

So, I guess, all of the other materials without any use in-game are leftovers from plans that were never implemented? Mmm.. OK.

Player-owned settlements could form the basis of new mini-bubbles in deep space. Yes, groups of Carriers can simulate that, but ultimately commodities must be sold to bases to generate wealth, and mining is pretty much the only way that players introduce commodities to the market. And a single DSSA Carrier is pretty much the only "economy" that can be set up in deep space, adding extra Carriers to a region would be redundant.

A settlement on an ELW (when possible) could act as a food source and population magnet for other settlements nearby. Other types of settlements could either be supported automatically by the ELW, or artificially by players hauling supplies in from elsewhere.

I want to build my own small science outpost. I would not call it a settlement by any stretch, but rather a personal dome or other structure that I can set up with a variety of instruments. One in particular is a telescope that I can point in a specific location and return to later - maybe once a day or once a month, and use it to take screenshots of the sky to do some actual in-game astronomy. I can do this now, but only by leaving a ship parked in a single location forever (no more flying around), and as soon as I log out my camera settings reset, so I really can't do time-lapsed photography or parallax measurements without just leaving the computer run 24x7 while sitting in this once spot.

timelapse.gif

timelapse02.gif

Last edited:
It was never featured in any of the videos leading up to the alpha...

Was likely seen as a high-risk feature. But they actively worked on it right up until the alpha release.

So, I guess, all of the other materials without any use in-game are leftovers from plans that were never implemented? Mmm.. OK.

Probably. But we only know about the things that leaked into the release build like base building. Vehicle schematics were probably for the Rhino.

Hi All :)

Would any Cmdrs be interested in getting Brewer Corp to build our own Settlements or even Star ports so we can control what is traded there, etc ?

I would be willing to contribute weekly/monthly credits for this to happen and peeps who like to carry out mining, etc could use it as a Market place to sell their wares and commodities.

Just a thought !

Hi Tent :)

Generally speaking, Yes, but perhaps on a smaller scale due to what in reality is possible, as explained below.

To make it meaningful FD would need to make the economy work properly, so sadly no chance.

This :)

Yep, it would be a huge undertaking for FD to incorporate this to work in a meaningful manner I would imagine, and, as other posters in this thread have pointed out, players would tend to congregate their 'bases' in already heavily populated (Carrier wise) systems in the bubble.
So, lets just imagine for a few moments it was possible. 🤔...Okay, so we've got systems that are choked up with Carriers, mostly all of the systems with landable planets in these areas would immediately be 'colonized' by the playerbase, probably on a first come first served basis (it would be bedlam!). The bases / players would then tend to migrate outwards to less populated systems (it would be a natural progression), so in theory, the 'bubble' would tend to expand, depending on the amount of players that are playing the game.
Again, as some other posters in this thread have stated you would also have Bases / Settlements / Star ports that were 'built' and then for various reasons abandoned. Okay, initially most of these structures would be 'live', that is to say the player owned structures would generally be in use on a daily or weekly basis, players would be trading commodities and materials?...but to who would they be interacting with?...NPC's & Players?
If we concentrate on the player trading side for example....

Frontier said that base building wasn't part of Odyssey shortly before the Odyssey release, about the time that their trailers were showing pictures of NPC surface bases.

That's not the same as "it will never happen", of course - but I imagine finding something non-cosmetic which static bases can do that Fleet Carriers couldn't do better would be tricky to justify the development time.

Ian has a relevant point here I think with Carriers & Base building.

Are many players generally using Carriers to trade goods to / between other players?
Do NPC's buy goods from Carriers, is there a working economy by NPC's within systems?
Or is trading of goods from Carriers mainly done at CG's between players?

If I was able to build / create a Starport or Settlement on a planet what would I want to be able to do with it?
1. Store Ships & Equipment, Modules etc.?
2. Sell commodities and or materials?
3. Store and sell scientific data*

*(system maps, planet data, unusual objects etc.)

I want to build my own small science outpost. I would not call it a settlement by any stretch, but rather a personal dome or other structure that I can set up with a variety of instruments. One in particular is a telescope that I can point in a specific location and return to later - maybe once a day or once a month, and use it to take screenshots of the sky to do some actual in-game astronomy. I can do this now, but only by leaving a ship parked in a single location forever (no more flying around), and as soon as I log out my camera settings reset, so I really can't do time-lapsed photography or parallax measurements without just leaving the computer run 24x7 while sitting in this once spot.

😲....Hey! now that's a tangential thought! (y)
🤔....Would these outposts be constructed / placed in similar numbers (and areas) as Carriers / Bases?...Or would these structures tend to be more widely and thinly placed because of the nature of their use?
If it was 'just' a dome affair and 'scientifically' speaking was specifically used for this task (or something related to this) I wonder if this would be a bit easier to program into the game than a full blown Settlement Starport?
You could I suppose sell various scientific data, maybe even system maps from your explorations directly to other players...that could be quite interesting as the ability to buy system maps doesn't seem to work now (for me) in Horizons?...I'm not sure if that now works in Odyssey?

As a side note I've (for example) played most of Egosoft's 'X' games, (stopped more or less after playing Rebirth for various reasons), and really liked the 'base', building aspect of those games. Owning factories, Star ports etc. and seeing my commercial empire gradually expanding was great fun. What the game lacked for me though was the inability to land on a planet and build those structures there, and also I missed the huge galaxy to play in which I'd experienced in the previous Elite games, and a more realistic one at that.

To quickly sum up, I would like a base or structure on a planet, owned specifically by me,
Looking at what is realistically achievable in the game, 🤔...and what to use it for though? 🤷‍♂️

Jack :)

😲....Hey! now that's a tangential thought! (y)
🤔....Would these outposts be constructed / placed in similar numbers (and areas) as Carriers / Bases?...Or would these structures tend to be more widely and thinly placed because of the nature of their use?
I'm picturing something akin to the Homestead Act in America, where if you discover and map a planet out in the black, you get to put personal outposts on it (maybe one, maybe ten, I don't know). I don't see this being allowed in the Bubble, which is already a crowded mess, unless Frontier finally fix their system map and HUD to better represent large quantities of POIs.

Not that I'm holding my breath. People have been asking for planet surface bookmarks (which is WAY easier than an actual outpost) for years, and Frontier has ignored us, so I can dream, but I dare not hope.

And while other space games do allow me to build outposts, they all lack Elite's realistic stellar forge, so there's no astronomy gameplay to be had. Maybe Starfield will be different, but again I dare not hope.

Hi :)

I'm picturing something akin to the Homestead Act in America, where if you discover and map a planet out in the black, you get to put personal outposts on it (maybe one, maybe ten, I don't know). I don't see this being allowed in the Bubble, which is already a crowded mess, unless Frontier finally fix their system map and HUD to better represent large quantities of POIs.
Ah, okay, so you've had to discover the planet, your Cmdrs name is on the planets description as being 1st discovered , plus you're the 1st to have mapped it 100%.
That's fine, although there could be other hurdles that could be put in place to make the mechanics of doing so a bit more unique*?....(or not)

(Edit...just had a thought, perhaps you might have to actually register your claim with one of the main powers, and then your outpost would kinda come under their jurisdiction, it might have certain benefits depending whether it was Federation, Empire, Alliance or Independent.) ;)

*Players might need a certain ship type to carry the equipment and materials needed to establish an outpost. (enter new ship type :sneaky: larger than a Cutter or Corvette )
*Outposts will have a purchase price tag to reflect the important nature of the construction. (credit sink :sneaky: )
*Outposts will need security measures. Either hired personnel and / or new types of armament. eg. land based or could be similar to a Carriers armament.
*Outposts can only be constructed on planets within a temperature range of between 200k-300k?
*Outposts can only be built on planets with NO volcanic activity.

Do the outposts need to incur maintenance costs similar to carriers? 😒
The 'outpost ship' is basically like any other player ship, it can be destroyed either by NPC ships or other players and any cargo including the outpost module will be lost.😈...obviously whilst in transit from Shipyard (?) to planet.

Actually, one of the thoughts that's just occurred to me is I wonder if something like this is what FD have in mind with their hint of "We've not attempted to do in Elite before" or words to that effect in the last (?) live stream. Probably not, but well, you never know. 🤷‍♂️

Jack :)

Last edited:
Would any Cmdrs be interested in getting Brewer Corp to build our own Settlements or even Star ports so we can control what is traded there, etc ?

I would be willing to contribute weekly/monthly credits for this to happen and peeps who like to carry out mining, etc could use it as a Market place to sell their wares and commodities.

Just a thought !
Yes!

It'd get too cluttered. There are already too many Fleet Carriers (essentially a player-owned starport) and Odyssey settlements cluttering up the system maps.
If you can build bases outside of the bubble how would things get too cluttered? Billions of worlds. I assume due re real world database constraints there would be limits posed on the systems.

Player-owned settlements could form the basis of new mini-bubbles in deep space. Yes, groups of Carriers can simulate that, but ultimately commodities must be sold to bases to generate wealth, and mining is pretty much the only way that players introduce commodities to the market. And a single DSSA Carrier is pretty much the only "economy" that can be set up in deep space, adding extra Carriers to a region would be redundant.

A settlement on an ELW (when possible) could act as a food source and population magnet for other settlements nearby. Other types of settlements could either be supported automatically by the ELW, or artificially by players hauling supplies in from elsewhere.
Thank you for having vision other than the other players here who feel the need to huff copium.

If you can build bases outside of the bubble how would things get too cluttered? Billions of worlds. I assume due re real world database constraints there would be limits posed on the systems.
Evidence from all the FCs lying around the bubble and moans about how hard it is to unlock Palin suggest that all to many Commanders don't want to travel far from the Bubble.

Evidence from all the FCs lying around the bubble and moans about how hard it is to unlock Palin suggest that all to many Commanders don't want to travel far from the Bubble.
Then put some restrictions, like if a planet is owned by AI then bases can't be built there. Stuff like that. Or go eve route one planet per player and make it expensive. Gameplay designers who get paid to do this should come up with some rules that makes sense.

ok lets build settlements ,why not bring modding by players in,increase ram use we can all afford top of the rage graphic cards,then change the name of the the game to sky/fall/starfield,lol .bad suggestion.

ok lets build settlements ,why not bring modding by players in,increase ram use we can all afford top of the rage graphic cards,then change the name of the the game to sky/fall/starfield,lol .bad suggestion.
If this game implemented proper culling and other optimizations that would not be an issue. There are games far more polygon dense than this one that are old that run just fine. Of course the software this games runs on could also be so spaghettified at this point that any real tinkering with it could be a disaster. IDK but at the end of the day we are all speculating about settlements. You should feel happy FDev is not going to do anything innovative with the game and have pretty much put base building and ship interiors to bed. There has not been a whiff of a new ship uttered. And they threw out that srv they had in the mothballs for years out to the masses. The status quo is here to stay.

I have a sort of Thanos approach to missing features in Elite. "Fine, I'll do it myself!" When Frontier refuses to give us XYZ, if possible I think of alternative ways to achieve what I want. For example, I've wanted an NPC copilot forever, and when it became clear Frontier wasn't going to give us that, I installed Elite on an old laptop headed to the recycle bin and created my own copilot (by multicrewing my alt with myself).

Now I'm wondering how I might establish a "base" of sorts on a favorite planet so I can observe orbits and seasons and whatnot. It dawns on me that I can in theory use the same account I use to multicrew with myself to park a T7 or T9 down on the planet surface (after all, these are basically flying houses), and then I can use this spare account (either directly or accessing the ship via telepresence if in a T9) as a permanent yet private "base" for myself, as long as I have fuel. Hmm, I wonder if fuel limpets work on ships parked on the ground... 🤔

I wish I thought of this idea before I set sail in my fleet carrier. I hate burning up tons of Tritium to get back to the bubble to pick up my alt. Oh well, it still might be worth it! I'll also be getting another free alt thanks to PS4 transfer, so that's two T9 outposts I could set up anywhere I want 😁

I have a sort of Thanos approach to missing features in Elite. "Fine, I'll do it myself!" When Frontier refuses to give us XYZ, if possible I think of alternative ways to achieve what I want. For example, I've wanted an NPC copilot forever, and when it became clear Frontier wasn't going to give us that, I installed Elite on an old laptop headed to the recycle bin and created my own copilot (by multicrewing my alt with myself).

Now I'm wondering how I might establish a "base" of sorts on a favorite planet so I can observe orbits and seasons and whatnot. It dawns on me that I can in theory use the same account I use to multicrew with myself to park a T7 or T9 down on the planet surface (after all, these are basically flying houses), and then I can use this spare account (either directly or accessing the ship via telepresence if in a T9) as a permanent yet private "base" for myself, as long as I have fuel. Hmm, I wonder if fuel limpets work on ships parked on the ground... 🤔
A few years ago there was a beta where FDev wanted us to stress stuff by firing off lots of limpets and missiles all over the place including an aliens ruins site, I don’t remember if anyone did refuel while landed but certainly it happened at low level and the landscape was buried under a rain of spent limpets. I am sure some other veteran of that will remember if grounded fuelling works.

I wish I thought of this idea before I set sail in my fleet carrier. I hate burning up tons of Tritium to get back to the bubble to pick up my alt. Oh well, it still might be worth it! I'll also be getting another free alt thanks to PS4 transfer, so that's two T9 outposts I could set up anywhere I want 😁

Just a thought !
Sure, but if I play in open, other players should have a way to interact with it, possibly even to loot it, to lock me out, and perhaps even destroy it (with serious effort). There could be a vault of limited capacity that is indestructible.

Let me store its blueprint and 3D print it with mined mats.

Let's assume FDev creates own settlements, what would they be for? I'd wish they made them in a way that we want to colonize the galaxy, instead of staying in the bubble or close to it. ED's strength lies to a big part in its vast amount of star systems and the wonders to explore them.
And this is the direction which FDev should go with the game: Make the galaxy more attractive and rewarding (e.g. trade routes, mining in faraway sectors) for those who dare to fly into the black, instead of creating an even more crammed settlement.

Let's assume FDev creates own settlements, what would they be for? I'd wish they made them in a way that we want to colonize the galaxy, instead of staying in the bubble or close to it. ED's strength lies to a big part in its vast amount of star systems and the wonders to explore them.
And this is the direction which FDev should go with the game: Make the galaxy more attractive and rewarding (e.g. trade routes, mining in faraway sectors) for those who dare to fly into the black, instead of creating an even more crammed settlement.
If it was a matter of daring to fly into the black because it's dangerous and risky, then i'd be on board. But if that "dare" is only a dare because it's a huge time suck of boring repetitive jumps that steals your life away and offers no gameplay in return (like it is currently) ...then no. we dont need something to encourage us to endure that.

Fdev will almost certainly make such a new feature (if they were to make it) entirely separate from the rest of the game because they have this idea that doing this will compartmentalize the gameplay so it can be avoided if wanted and not alter any existing gameplay. Not caring that such compartmentalizing of features renders them almost entirely pointless or extremely neutered in purpose at best leading to low player participation and the almost immediate abandonment of further development interest. I would be extremely surprised if fdev were to incorporate these new settlements into the BGS and make them matter.

I would like to see instead, carrier customization increased, their social features increased and improved (local news posting and better in game searching and bulletin board features around them). Carriers treating the owners as owners and not some faceless renter. That would handle the home building aspect (something to say i'm here to myself and others).

Then I'd like to see a full on crafting of a megaship option for players. This would implement the creative, unique building aspect but done in a flyable non-persistent ship that participates in gameplay that is different from the normal blow up enemies and space truck infinitely available items gameplay that regular ships are part of. These can be Dredgers or other alternative but similarly sized ships (not similar to traditional but similar to the new suggestion.. We'll say, maybe 6 times the size of a t10). Our dredgers would be a bit smaller than the traditional, but would have a maw and everything else would have to be crafted and customizable based on how they're crafted and put together. These ships would be directly flyable but dockable too, allowing you to take the helm whenever you're aboard. And participating in unique new gameplay like salvage. Manufacturing. Refining etc that can work together with carriers to create a real economic market based on player activity and participation ...of course assuming fdev reduces or eliminates the infinite alternatives that exist in the current stations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom