Build our own Settlements

If it was a matter of daring to fly into the black because it's dangerous and risky, then i'd be on board. But if that "dare" is only a dare because it's a huge time suck of boring repetitive jumps that steals your life away and offers no gameplay in return (like it is currently) ...then no. we dont need something to encourage us to endure that.

Fdev will almost certainly make such a new feature (if they were to make it) entirely separate from the rest of the game because they have this idea that doing this will compartmentalize the gameplay so it can be avoided if wanted and not alter any existing gameplay. Not caring that such compartmentalizing of features renders them almost entirely pointless or extremely neutered in purpose at best leading to low player participation and the almost immediate abandonment of further development interest. I would be extremely surprised if fdev were to incorporate these new settlements into the BGS and make them matter.

I would like to see instead, carrier customization increased, their social features increased and improved (local news posting and better in game searching and bulletin board features around them). Carriers treating the owners as owners and not some faceless renter. That would handle the home building aspect (something to say i'm here to myself and others).

Then I'd like to see a full on crafting of a megaship option for players. This would implement the creative, unique building aspect but done in a flyable non-persistent ship that participates in gameplay that is different from the normal blow up enemies and space truck infinitely available items gameplay that regular ships are part of. These can be Dredgers or other alternative but similarly sized ships (not similar to traditional but similar to the new suggestion.. We'll say, maybe 6 times the size of a t10). Our dredgers would be a bit smaller than the traditional, but would have a maw and everything else would have to be crafted and customizable based on how they're crafted and put together. These ships would be directly flyable but dockable too, allowing you to take the helm whenever you're aboard. And participating in unique new gameplay like salvage. Manufacturing. Refining etc that can work together with carriers to create a real economic market based on player activity and participation ...of course assuming fdev reduces or eliminates the infinite alternatives that exist in the current stations.
That's a good alternative. The framework is there would be nice to refine raw mats into other sellable items that are in low supply. But who knows, I think a lot of the louder people in hear are stuck in the idea of keeping the game static as is so who knows.

If it was a matter of daring to fly into the black because it's dangerous and risky, then i'd be on board. But if that "dare" is only a dare because it's a huge time suck of boring repetitive jumps that steals your life away and offers no gameplay in return (like it is currently) ...then no. we dont need something to encourage us to endure that.

Fdev will almost certainly make such a new feature (if they were to make it) entirely separate from the rest of the game because they have this idea that doing this will compartmentalize the gameplay so it can be avoided if wanted and not alter any existing gameplay. Not caring that such compartmentalizing of features renders them almost entirely pointless or extremely neutered in purpose at best leading to low player participation and the almost immediate abandonment of further development interest. I would be extremely surprised if fdev were to incorporate these new settlements into the BGS and make them matter.

[...]
Well, it all depends on why people play ED. For myself, building larger ships or ranking up in the Empire or the Federation isn't much attractive (although I'd try it out one day, perhaps). Going on a long journey to explore undiscovered systems, fuel my ship in neutron stars, drive my SRV and discover life is more appealing. That did not prevent me from the occasional combat zone, mission running or settlement raids, though ;) And when you pick your risks the right way it can be as dangerous as running an eagle against a conda :)

I like your idea of separating settlement building and maintaining from the "space ship game" because building and running such a settlement may be quite time consuming and one may not have much time for the ships. That separate game would use the same galaxy simulation but for me as a commander the settlement would look like any other settlement, though (perhaps with some cool missions?). I could think of more spin-offs like a career as a Coriolis Manager(TM), a tug pilot, etc.

So much more to create in this game but so little tapping into its potential...

There's another side to this... Consider
Would any Cmdrs be interested in getting Brewer Corp to build our own Settlements or even Star ports so we can control what is traded there, etc ?
What if another player decides to build a starport in a system I don't want it in?
Or...
It'd get too cluttered. There are already too many Fleet Carriers (essentially a player-owned starport) and Odyssey settlements cluttering up the system maps.
That gives us the answer, base building is allowed but only 1 per system which has to have been unvisited prior to the base being built.
Cue an endless series of "fossilised" systems no-one can build in, like decommissioning or abandoned carriers.
So for whatever reason, we have cmdr's that don't like the new StarPorts, at least not where someone else does.

Here's a proposal;
Allow other cmdrs to vote with their actions.
  • Take it offline, steal the power regulator.
  • Steal all materials stored there (maybe just one unit at a time).
  • Run up costs so that the upkeep increases.

At the same time the owner(s) can
  • Restore power
  • Bring in more trade
  • other positive style actions
(Sounds like the BGS almost? Maybe bases would be PMF related)

Maybe the bases could start to reflect the state that they are in?

Eventually a base enters a state of abandoned, now the player who put it there has a choice.
  • Lose all ties with it, they lose all investment into the base and its now free for other players to remove. As well as Base Building, there should be the option to clean up the planet.
  • Pay for it to be removed, and get some cash back from scrap.

It's not really a base-building kind of game. We're in the Pilot's Federation, not the Farmer's Federation. We're spacers, vagabonds, always on the move, itchy feet. The guards tell us as much when we visit somewhere. Always up to something. Not settlers.

It was the same in Elites 1-3. The most we ever did was lay down a mining machine and flag it up to come back to when it had ores... but we didn't make a little cabin and wait for the harvest.

I'm sure there are some nice games to scratch that itch. Space Engineers? Subnautica? Farm Simulator?

It's not really a base-building kind of game. We're in the Pilot's Federation, not the Farmer's Federation. We're spacers, vagabonds, always on the move, itchy feet. The guards tell us as much when we visit somewhere. Always up to something. Not settlers.

It was the same in Elites 1-3. The most we ever did was lay down a mining machine and flag it up to come back to when it had ores... but we didn't make a little cabin and wait for the harvest.

I'm sure there are some nice games to scratch that itch. Space Engineers? Subnautica? Farm Simulator?

it's not really a galaxy simulation game either but that didn't stop the game from having just shy of 400 billion systems added with absolutely no purpose in the game to be there.

It's not a first person shooter but that didn't stop odyssey from getting green-lit.

elite dangerous obviously extends beyond the gameplay that existed in previous elite games.

If we accept that the game has been extended in the ways that it has noted above, then it's hardly a stretch to extend it in other ways as well if players find value in that. And obviously a lot of players would. Because why boot up some other game to scratch a tiny itch if i can scratch it in the same game i'm already scratching itches in if it can be done well?

we're in the pilots fed. But we're also billionaires (quite a lot of us are, with many being a few times more than just that). With enough funds to purchase fleets of ships. In a universe where owning your own ship (even a sidewinder) is extremely rare relatively speaking.

It is hardly out of scope for such profitable pilots federation spacers to want to leverage that profit for something more than just yet another space ship to fill a garage somewhere. That would be common and expected within the elite universe for individuals who have been extremely successful.

edit: being in the pilots fed is not "just a spacer" already. You're special just by being in it. Being elite and many times over a billionaire, is way...way beyond just a normal pilots fed member. So if you're in that bucket you are not just a faceless nobody even though the galnet would never make a reference to you. You would be firmly in the 1% class. Not as rich as a corporation ....but definitely not a plebe. More than wealthy enough to have your own space home.

Last edited:
And yet most of the time many members have been farming Dav's Hope, security panels, the egg, HGEs and similar. 😜
I like to consider myself a loading screen connoisseur, rather than a filthy farmer.

loading_screens.jpg

iwe're in the pilots fed. But we're also billionaires (quite a lot of us are, with many being a few times more than just that). With enough funds to purchase fleets of ships. In a universe where owning your own ship (even a sidewinder) is extremely rare relatively speaking.
I'd suggest if you're a trillionaire with every ship in the game, it's time to retire that character and start a new one.

Would any Cmdrs be interested in getting Brewer Corp to build our own Settlements or even Star ports so we can control what is traded there, etc ?

I would be willing to contribute weekly/monthly credits for this to happen and peeps who like to carry out mining, etc could use it as a Market place to sell their wares and commodities.

Just a thought !
This is a good idea, but first of all before all discussion of possible features I would prefer optimizations to the performance and bugfixes. Till EDO works at stable as HRZN does it in his primetime.

This is a good idea, but first of all before all discussion of possible features I would prefer optimizations to the performance and bugfixes. Till EDO works at stable as HRZN does it in his primetime.
Usually a different team is responsible for the graphics engine (where the majority of optimizations need to take place) than the one(s) responsible for new assets and game loops. This is why it was "easy" for Frontier to add fleet carrier interiors while simultaneously working on fixes and opts.

Usually a different team is responsible for the graphics engine (where the majority of optimizations need to take place) than the one(s) responsible for new assets and game loops. This is why it was "easy" for Frontier to add fleet carrier interiors while simultaneously working on fixes and opts.
So fixing things which occurred due to an update is not that fixing what i mean, for sure every game which gets Update called ,liveservice game,, gather a lot of bugs no doubt about that, but elite is by far the only games which get so many bugs which each update, that the other stuff which is then fixed fall off, or will be forgotten a while sadly.

what I see from every other game in the industry, is that when they deliever an update, they didn’t need another huge announced update for fixing the bugs that appears due to fixing the bugs which came with the last update.

i would love to see that, when they announce such huge bug fixes that this aren’t bugs which are occurred to to an past update. I mean had someone really observe this? It feels like the bugs which are fixed, are a lot of the bugs which comes with a previous update.

in Germany we say: niemals endender Rattenschwanz. This means, they bring up an update, but deliever again a huge amount of bugs, which needs and new update again, and this will never stop..

And my intention is, before we talk about new features, perhaps Fdev should put some efforts into the bugfixing and optimization, as I see it right now, EDO is far away from being a stable ground for groundbreaking and everything changing in the game-features like ship interiors or base building. I wish it would be not true, but this is the bitter sweet reality at the end.

but yes hell yea i would love to see building own outpost.

I don't want to build anything. I want good ship combat and good ground missions. More diversity in bases. Different types of bases.
It is great time for Frontier to make also more alien sites for walking. Guardian sites esspecialy!

Player driven powerplay (starting a colony, making it resource independent, negotiating protection with a superpower for protection,...), adding services that cannot be handled by a FC, such as Apex, terraforming planets... there are also a highway of possibilities here.

I'd suggest if you're a trillionaire with every ship in the game, it's time to retire that character and start a new one.
With the Frontier/Steam Summer sale currently on, and the base game + Odyssey can be had for less then £22, now is the time to start a new CMDR and experience that rise from poverty again. Play this CMDR differently. With two CMDRs they can be in different places and be able to do different things as your mood takes you.

Steve 07.

I like your idea of separating settlement building and maintaining from the "space ship game" because building and running such a settlement may be quite time consuming and one may not have much time for the ships. That separate game would use the same galaxy simulation but for me as a commander the settlement would look like any other settlement, though (perhaps with some cool missions?). I could think of more spin-offs like a career as a Coriolis Manager(TM), a tug pilot, etc.

So much more to create in this game but so little tapping into its potential...

We already have a huge number of complaints about Odyssey settlements not being an integral part of the game, but a separate FPS addon, now they want a base building game, but not as part of the main game but a separate base building addon that has nothing to do with the main game....shall I get the popcorn out?

for you squadron yes please, we all hoped base building was a thing... we got told no...
It was just a rumor from an old leaked roadmap wasn't it? Nothing was confirmed or denied by frontier at the time if I recall.
Was likely seen as a high-risk feature. But they actively worked on it right up until the alpha release.

IIRC the whole base building rumor mill was started when someone dug into the elite cosmetics store web-code and noticed some tags that hinted some possible cosmetics tied with planetary bases.

But FDev themselves never hinted in any other way that base building might be a thing (that doesnt mean it cannot be the next-year-hinted-feature)

More over, again IIRC, there was a Lave Radio interview with FDev CMs and/or Devs where the hypothetical planetary bases were mentioned (they did said they have no plans for, but they did mentioned if such bases would happen, they would have to be treated like permanent assets visible in all modes/platforms - pretty much like carriers)

We already have a huge number of complaints about Odyssey settlements not being an integral part of the game, but a separate FPS addon,
As I understand it, the main complaint is that rewards are compartmentalized, so that I can't explore an Odyssey settlement and find materials to make my ship better. On-foot rewards are for on-foot gear (suits, guns, etc). I think if you could loot installations, broken SRVs, and other on-foot content for ship parts, at least a subset of these complaints would go away. I'm not talking about people who never wanted FPS to begin with, but rather people saying that there is no "crossplay" between on-foot and in-ship missions. Adding ship materials (and perhaps other loot like blueprints that unlock tech broker modules and weapons, credits, etc) to settlement lockers would be easy enough to do, I think. I hope Frontier considers adding this in the future. (Emphasis added for CM to see and suggest to appropriate developer / manager)

As I understand it, the main complaint is that rewards are compartmentalized, so that I can't explore an Odyssey settlement and find materials to make my ship better. On-foot rewards are for on-foot gear (suits, guns, etc). I think if you could loot installations, broken SRVs, and other on-foot content for ship parts, at least a subset of these complaints would go away. I'm not talking about people who never wanted FPS to begin with, but rather people saying that there is no "crossplay" between on-foot and in-ship missions. Adding ship materials (and perhaps other loot like blueprints that unlock tech broker modules and weapons, credits, etc) to settlement lockers would be easy enough to do, I think. I hope Frontier considers adding this in the future. (Emphasis added for CM to see and suggest to appropriate developer / manager)
But one is able to pick up faction specific missions from the ship from an Odyssey settlement. As well as on-foot from the settlement mission boards and on-foot mission givers.

I like base building. But I don't trust FDev to put out a decent one without it basically being a mindless grind and an activity for the bored and rich players. FD tends to cater to these players and by now it is basically pointless trying to catch up. It has in fact become an Elitist's game.

Well it really doesn't bother me that I don't have to do missions at settlements to upgrade my ship, I don't have any issue with on foot combat being a completely optional part of the game, I've never actually taken part in the ship combat part of the game either nor unlocked any of the ship engineers that upgrade weapons and armour, it would be annoying if upgrading ships suddenly required fighting on foot in a settlement, and yes I know that's not what you are suggesting. However the proliferation of mat types could be a problem. I mean if they started adding suit upgrade mats to mission boards players who rely on the mission boards for ship upgrade mats might suddenly find the number of missions they can take far more limited in a way that slows down their mat gathering unless they take to doing the on foot settlement missions as well.

I can see why FDEV kept them separate, I suspect there would be a few issues if they tried to integrate on foot mats and missions deep into the ship part of the game, and vice versa, issues of the bug type I mean, keeping them separate means that if any issues arise they are basically dealing with a different code area that shouldn't impact the other part of the game.

But this is FDEV and bugs so who knows how much keeping them apart actually helps with the bug side of development.

Top Bottom