can we plz get more combat love

i know this has probably been asked to death and that not everyone cares about combat but combat as it is is really stale. theirs not really any good places to do it and the places that are fun are not worth the time or damages just think that one of the more fun activity is getting ignored

right now the most efficient way to do combat is haz zones or thargoides gombat zones are a joke for pay but are more fun than both the main problem with haz zones is that you pop in hunt 4-6 ships then you need to reload the instance and thats annoying to fix this we could make use of the old astroides from the early days of mining before rings were available they would make for great pirate bases and you could even make it an "event" like when the capital ship pops into a CZ you start by popping into a "low base" it has 1-2 pirets floating around when you hit them they become hostile then as you clear them out more launch from the base a "low" zone would have 10-20 ships in it and would only come at you in wings of 1 "mid" zone would have 50% chance of coming at you with wings of 2 and have more ships in the base and a "high" zone would be the wings of 2-3 also have the chance of event

event would be... after clearing the first wave of ships or sending a signal to the authority they are locking on to your signal to send reinforcements. them being a ships as you go on and clear more of the pirates ships you get a message saying there sending a capital ship to blast the base to dust when you clear 75% the capital ship pops in and charges its cannon defend it tell its done and they blast the base giving you bonds as well as the bounty (balance as needed)

basically this is a mix of bounty hunting and a CZ with no need to reload the instance just wave after wave of enemies hell you can have the old base leave some materials behind as well
----------------------------------------------
STEALING SHIPS

XD can we get some piricey love while were on this note you disable a ship without blowing it up take out the thrusters then launch a cockpit breaker limpit that breaks the cockpit and takes over the ship then you launch a repair limpit to repair the thrusters and jump-drive if needed have a crew mate take it over and jump it out back to the last base visited from there (as you decide) you can ether use the ship (it will be stolen and flagged at every base as such) or sell it on the black market for a massive loss from the ships value (balance as needed) just think theirs not really many uses for the lesser used limpits this would be a fun new use

WHAT?

You just got an entire DLC that was almost purely combat focussed, with a few miserable and poorly thought out scraps thrown to other areas of the game, and you're demanding more combat stuff? No the entirety of focus for the next few updates should be on exploration, it's been ignored for so long it's not funny!

right now the most efficient way to do combat is haz zones or thargoides gombat zones are a joke for pay

What?
Thargoid combat, when done at pro level, is one of the most well payed activities in ED

Haz rez is not that efficient.
Go settle in a system that is known to generate massacre missions, get allied with all the factions and then pick one massacre missions from each faction and go get them
You can easily do 200-300 millions per hour

Get 4 friend and to CZ massacre missions (but again get allied with the issuing faction) - pick wing missions and share them with your wing mates - again you can do more than 200 millions per hour

And generally speaking, Elite has plenty of combat, which is also paying well.
It really doesnt need more.

I would like FDev to fix megaships/structures POI mercenary missions.

• Often NPC ships are stuck in strucktures.
  • Ship which steals cargo is not well defended by his mates
  • Allies become hostile too easily after occasional friendly fire (it should remove after next enemy ship is destroyed by you)
Other than that it is generated as event on site, has waves, pretty well paid.

So FDev could just generate this POIs in belts and maybe change its state based on system state.

I'm just surprised the test of you were able to read that post without having a stroke.
it's been ignored for so long it's not funny!
Honestly has it ever really been built on? I mean a real pass, not bits tacked on from expansions or tweaking the odd mechanic.

Not that I can really think of much you could add that wouldn't feel gamey.

Focus of the expansion or not, Odyssey's combat additions aren't very good (IMO, of course).
They work pretty well, the only major issue is the ai is extremely predictable.

Outside of that most of the complaints involve people getting frustrated because the mechanics and loop don't line up with the average fps. Biggest ones being that the game expects you to change weapons while fighting and needing to manage several resources dynamically.

Focus of the expansion or not, Odyssey's combat additions aren't very good (IMO, of course).

I don't combat at all, so the entire combat side of Odyssey hasn't changed the way I play, however I am most dissapointed in the exploration changes, they had a chance to move away from the hand crafted galaxy wide limited number of bio, but they didn't take it, this approach simple won't work for ELW for instance, people expect, well, earth like plants and animals etc. All they did for exploration was make more of the same that already existed and added a mini-game with a bit of extra money compared to the huge changes (whether they are good or bad) that happened for combat. Now we have players asking for more combat focus for future ugrades.

They work pretty well, the only major issue is the ai is extremely predictable.

Outside of that most of the complaints involve people getting frustrated because the mechanics and loop don't line up with the average fps. Biggest ones being that the game expects you to change weapons while fighting and needing to manage several resources dynamically.

When it comes to weapons and mechanisms that don't line up with the average fps, I think this is a very valid complaint. Many of the more simulationists shooters out there feel infinitely better to me because they are based on reality, which has a certain intrinsic verisimilitude when it comes to weapon vs. defense vs. environment dynamics. Weapons in those game feel like they were designed to kill people. Weapons in Elite: Dangerous Odyssey feel like someone was trying to reinvent laser tag...to make a sport, a game within a game. They feel artificially handicapped and deliberately compartmentalized; this flies in the face of logic and isn't at all conducive to enjoyable gameplay for me. It's fine to subvert my expectations, but only if the end result is smarter than I am, if it's stupid for the sake of 'gameplay', the gameplay is invariably going to suck, in my experience.

There are other major issues as well, namely lack of appropriate integration of the shooter elements with vehicular combat, functionally tiny battlescapes, and almost zero actual environmental interactivity (which synergizes negatively with an obtuse inventory system).

The AI being predictable and poor in general dramatically compounds all of these things.

I don't combat at all, so the entire combat side of Odyssey hasn't changed the way I play, however I am most dissapointed in the exploration changes, they had a chance to move away from the hand crafted galaxy wide limited number of bio, but they didn't take it, this approach simple won't work for ELW for instance, people expect, well, earth like plants and animals etc. All they did for exploration was make more of the same that already existed and added a mini-game with a bit of extra money compared to the huge changes (whether they are good or bad) that happened for combat. Now we have players asking for more combat focus for future ugrades.

I don't disagree with any of that.

However, I do consider what little was done with exploration to be less damaging to exploration than the precedent set by the combat additions were to combat. There is still room to add meaningful stuff to exploration (not that I think FDev will), but combat has been locked into to something I don't think I will ever really be able to enjoy.

Last edited:
When it comes to weapons and mechanisms that don't line up with the average fps, I think this is a very valid complaint.
I mean its obviously entirely subjective so any complaint is valid. But im not sure why you expected ED. A game whos mechanics particularly its combat as always been very arcadey to be anything different on foot.

I mean
Weapons in Elite: Dangerous Odyssey feel like someone was trying to reinvent laser tag...to make a sport, a game within a game. They feel artificially handicapped and deliberately compartmentalized;
this isn't something in Odyssey this has been the same for every weapon since the game launched. The main difference here being you have fewer options both in over all choice and what you can have on you at one time.

I mean its obviously entirely subjective so any complaint is valid. But im not sure why you expected ED. A game whos mechanics particularly its combat as always been very arcadey to be anything different on foot.

I had no particular expectations, but I was hoping they'd take a different path, not extrapolate depreciated ship weapons vs. defense mechanisms to infantry combat.

It's not even the arcadiness that really bothers me. I can still play Battlefield, or Unreal Tournament, or Quake and enjoy them. Odyssey is in a whole other universe.

The main difference here being you have fewer options both in over all choice and what you can have on you at one time.

The main difference I see is that there aren't that many games that do what Elite does with ships better.

interesting idea.
taking at least one thought from what was once a rumor, to be able to steal ships.

it does sound like you have only ever played in Odyssey though.

I do not fight in Odyssey if I can help it.
I do for my piece of the BGS though. ONLY because if you do NOT, then your opposition will have an advantage and likely beat you.
I would much rather play on MY server for UT. this is a shooter. the ONLY one I have EVER enjoyed. 4 way capture the Flag.
And does NOT take a $4,000 video card just to display its LOGO!!!!.
I refuse to bash, because I play Elite Dangerous Horizons, the only decent space game available.
As such it is good in combat, there are styles that Odyssey does not yet have.
To fight in Odyssey in ship or on foot is not even close to what you can do in Horizons.
Carry gold, seriously. the Pirates want you to, FOR a REASON!
pick a system and stay there for a while. REASON: to do massacre and assassinate missions against ONE anarchy faction.
Do this and come back here after you have killed 10,000 of that one faction.
Then you can describe what I already know.

They will send assassins after you, in very tough ships with crap bounties on them.
In the haz res zones, they will send wave after wave of nasty ship, the more damage you take the more ships and tougher ships they send.
The faster you kill them the faster they send them.
This is normal bounty hunting in Horizons.
the mechanics for all this are not the same in Odyssey. In my Book, Odyssey is necessary for things like the lore and the stories.

and there are more ways to do this, many do not even exist in Odyssey.

make yourself hostile with 2 factions about to go to war.
then join the war, see who gets shot...
pick a side. it can be done, I have done it many times. fight in a cz, zero reward, both sides only shooting you and not each other, and WIN.
that is the toughest combat I have experienced in the game.

Then OFC, there is Thargoids.
The big hubbub lately is about us and them, the combat has not yet begun. so maybe show some patience on this one.

you are welcome to go out and try to FIND the Guardian AI constructs, see if you can beat them...
You could pick a different role
become anarchy, an anarchist, and fight against all other government types, nothing like having the entire federation and the empire wanting you dead.

or you could try another persons method
I support an anarchy faction
this makes the game harder
I had to discover a way to collect bounties for them
I do this with missions, many mission get triggered to send assassins to stop you from doing the mission, they always have a nice bounty for the anarchy faction.
you can refine this to specific mission types that ALWAYS have 6 to 9 interdictors for each mission.
for me, these guys are Elite or Dangerous, which is good.

then you can learn how to make all the interdictors that are after you, drop in to your instance at once, as in 3, 4, 5, or more of them all at the same time.

I call this Lazy bounty hunting. Because I make them come to me, rather than me go looking for them.
you might find it too boring. or too hectic, or both. but it works.
btw a wing can amplify the fun/difficulty.

WHAT?

You just got an entire DLC that was almost purely combat focussed, with a few miserable and poorly thought out scraps thrown to other areas of the game, and you're demanding more combat stuff? No the entirety of focus for the next few updates should be on exploration, it's been ignored for so long it's not funny!
WHAT?

The OP is talking about ship combat, and you demand he play a bolted-on (might as well be an entirely different game) FPS instead?

WHAT?

The OP is talking about ship combat, and you demand he play a bolted-on (might as well be an entirely different game) FPS instead?

It's combat, the entire DLC was nearly all combat, the OP asked for more combat love, I think it's had enough combat love and it's time to do exploration love, the fact the combat wasn't something the OP wanted isn't my concern. I didn't want it either, funny that!

WHAT?

as said by old duck and thought i implied yes ship content the abomination that is odyssey... dont even want to talk about that caused such a divide between the main game i have never played odyssey and refuse to also to prove the point that it is just a massive devide this thread was to talk about ship combat and over 95% of the comments are odyssey based

Last edited:
interesting idea.
taking at least one thought from what was once a rumor, to be able to steal ships.

it does sound like you have only ever played in Odyssey though.

I do not fight in Odyssey if I can help it.
I do for my piece of the BGS though. ONLY because if you do NOT, then your opposition will have an advantage and likely beat you.
I would much rather play on MY server for UT. this is a shooter. the ONLY one I have EVER enjoyed. 4 way capture the Flag.
And does NOT take a $4,000 video card just to display its LOGO!!!!.
I refuse to bash, because I play Elite Dangerous Horizons, the only decent space game available.
As such it is good in combat, there are styles that Odyssey does not yet have.
To fight in Odyssey in ship or on foot is not even close to what you can do in Horizons.
Carry gold, seriously. the Pirates want you to, FOR a REASON!
pick a system and stay there for a while. REASON: to do massacre and assassinate missions against ONE anarchy faction.
Do this and come back here after you have killed 10,000 of that one faction.
Then you can describe what I already know.

They will send assassins after you, in very tough ships with crap bounties on them.
In the haz res zones, they will send wave after wave of nasty ship, the more damage you take the more ships and tougher ships they send.
The faster you kill them the faster they send them.
This is normal bounty hunting in Horizons.
the mechanics for all this are not the same in Odyssey. In my Book, Odyssey is necessary for things like the lore and the stories.

and there are more ways to do this, many do not even exist in Odyssey.

make yourself hostile with 2 factions about to go to war.
then join the war, see who gets shot...
pick a side. it can be done, I have done it many times. fight in a cz, zero reward, both sides only shooting you and not each other, and WIN.
that is the toughest combat I have experienced in the game.

Then OFC, there is Thargoids.
The big hubbub lately is about us and them, the combat has not yet begun. so maybe show some patience on this one.

you are welcome to go out and try to FIND the Guardian AI constructs, see if you can beat them...
You could pick a different role
become anarchy, an anarchist, and fight against all other government types, nothing like having the entire federation and the empire wanting you dead.
yea never have and never will play odyssey

as said by old duck and thought i implied yes ship content the abomination that is odyssey... dont even want to talk about that caused such a divide between the main game i have never played odyssey and refuse to also to prove the point that it is just a massive devide this thread was to talk about ship combat and over 95% of the comments are odyssey based

Nonetheless, whether you want to play it or not, the entire DLC was almost entirely combat oriented with a few crumbs to other areas, just because you don't like it or want to play it is irrelevant. I will also add, I don't like most of the foot combat and also never play it, I play Odyssey for the meager crumbs explorers received. Whether it's foot or ship combat, it was still a combat oriented DLC, the next one should be exploration oriented, or some other area that needs work, anything but combat!

Top Bottom