Modes Can we secede Open Play data from other modes.

The game was built on 3 modes. It's not going to change no matter how much anyone wants it to.
Feel free to develop your own game.

You don't know that any more than we know it will change.

Because the game is the way it is now, doesn't mean it will never change.

Please do not forget that some of us have no choice whether we play in Solo or Open. I'm currently on a very limited bandwidth connection - believe me, you do not want to share an instance with me in Open. Since I'm on PS4, I need to pay the mafia Sony a yearly fee to access the "multiplayer" features of games like Elite, which this year would have been a waste of money because of my bandwidth situation. Therefore I have no choice but play in Solo. If it wasn't for the shared BGS, CGs, Codex, Squadrons, etc. I would likely not play at all.

Thankfully you don't get a vote :p

But you would still get the shared BGS.

Let me draw a picture using my awesome mspaint skills.

A7fRQkN.png

But you would still get the shared BGS.

Let me draw a picture using my awesome mspaint skills.

I literally just made a forum account to express my support for this idea. The mode switching is a major downside to this game for me. It may be a benefit to some, but to many others it is just the opposite. I don't know how likely it is, but I really hope they will take this idea into consideration. I realize it would likely mean some break in reality between the two types of servers, and that might be tricky to manage, but I personally think it would be well worth the effort. Heck, it might even be an interesting direction to take the game, to see how two alternate universes evolve over time, and how a different set of player actions leads to different outcomes.

Deleted member 115407

D
One thing I would like to see decoupled is the trending trade data.

The trade lines, if they were mode/platform dependent, would be really useful tools for pirates without being over-useful.

As it stand now, I don't know if those colored lines are PC, PS4, XBox, Open, Solo, PG...

Kind of a bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what, Fdev isn't allowed to make changes to better their game because it's was "advertised" a certain way when it was launched? What a laughable argument.
Well, it wasn't "advertised" as having engineers when it was released so maybe you should take them to court for it. ROFL

*Points to SWG and the "big changes" that were made that went against what was advertised... changes to the core of the game (like these would be) ... the uproar from the player base, the large amounts of refunds ended up being issued. The game then lingered till it was finally shut down.

Everything Fdev has added to the game, even the alterations to Exploration and Mining, have not changed the core of the game.. Have not changed what was advertised.

AP Birdman

Banned
*Points to SWG and the "big changes" that were made that went against what was advertised... changes to the core of the game (like these would be) ... the uproar from the player base, the large amounts of refunds ended up being issued. The game then lingered till it was finally shut down.

Everything Fdev has added to the game, even the alterations to Exploration and Mining, have not changed the core of the game.. Have not changed what was advertised.

By uproar you mean a bunch of crybabies squealed because the game wouldn't fit their exact needs.
This is straight pathetic

Do you somehow think this is ok? Again I raise the question, are game devs not allowed to make their game better if they had it advertised as something different when it came out? I could maybe understand turning a single player game into a multiplayer game but making bgs and pp effected separately from open and solo/pg is hardly changing the core of the game.

Last edited:
Divided modes with equivalent impact on a sim (conflict where opponents could by definition not face each other). A quaint experiment.

Full PVP Open on P2P networking. Another quaint idea.

No PVE Open server. Wow - I guess no one at FDEV played any AAA mmos, like ever.

This is the boat we're in, and isn't going to change. Aren't we better off talking about mechanics that can actually be impacted?

I literally just made a forum account to express my support for this idea. The mode switching is a major downside to this game for me. It may be a benefit to some, but to many others it is just the opposite. I don't know how likely it is, but I really hope they will take this idea into consideration. I realize it would likely mean some break in reality between the two types of servers, and that might be tricky to manage, but I personally think it would be well worth the effort. Heck, it might even be an interesting direction to take the game, to see how two alternate universes evolve over time, and how a different set of player actions leads to different outcomes.

Nice to see some open proponents getting on board with this idea.

However, i think it unlikely in the extreme FD would consider it.

But que sera sera

Well, we've talked about things like making PP OO and those discussions have gone round in circles time and again, not sure there is anything left to discuss there that hasn't been discussed a thousand times.

Things like bugs with new mechanics, refinements to the interface, refinements to balance, refinements to the BGS, etc. Maybe these have been hit a lot, but they can still change. But modes, c'mon - might as well be asking to cancel pvp rebuys.

AP Birdman

Banned
Things like bugs with new mechanics, refinements to the interface, refinements to balance, refinements to the BGS, etc. Maybe these have been hit a lot, but they can still change. But modes, c'mon - might as well be asking to cancel pvp rebuys.

Are there not other sections of this forum where many people are discussing exactly that?

Well, we've talked about things like making PP OO and those discussions have gone round in circles time and again, not sure there is anything left to discuss there that hasn't been discussed a thousand times.

Everything in the forums becomes a perpetually circular discussion. Everything.

Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows! :)

Right, but those are different topics anyway.

Goose4291

Banned
However, if Open Only Whatever is enforced - that will simply lead to some curmudgeonly network engineer types mining salt from Open Onlyists for buckets of lulz.

We might as well advocate we turn off all BGS Interaction then, what with botting being the actual threat to PP/BGS wars it is. Oddly you never advocate that though.

That is a bit of a lazy trope Mouse, and you know it. What caused it predominately was most of the player economy players (who were in many cases, making an actual proper good real life wage out of the game) didnt like it, stamped their feet and pulled their accounts, tanking the player econony (on which galaxies was heavily reliant) over night.

Even then, Galaxies was still making money right up until server closures... just not enough money for greedy SoE executives.

Again, what is the 'core' of the game is relative to you as an individual. I've seen many of the '84 brigade screeching about how Powerplay wasnt 'a core part of the game' and threatening to leave because it affected the BGS, as well as 'noble, more holy than thou' exploration types (usually with First Great Exploration tags/logos adorning everything they do) declaring theyre leaving as the changes 'affect the core of the game'.

This is the boat we're in, and isn't going to change. Aren't we better off talking about mechanics that can actually be impacted?

Like Open Only Powerplay, which the same arguments were used against, oddly from people who regularly declared that 'this is FDevs game, and we should respect their creative vision' in a very vitriolic and childish manner.

By uproar you mean a bunch of crybabies squealed because the game wouldn't fit their exact needs.
This is straight pathetic

Do you somehow think this is ok? Again I raise the question, are game devs not allowed to make their game better if they had it advertised as something different when it came out? I could maybe understand turning a single player game into a multiplayer game but making bgs and pp effected separately from open and solo/pg is hardly changing the core of the game.

Seriously can you reply without talking down or insulting others? These "crybabies" as you refer to them were anything but. What you think there were just a few upset over a change that they went crying to the forums? You are so flippant with you response you didn't even know that it was huge majority of the playerbase. What you think SOE was just going to hand refunds back to a few people who didn't like a change in a game? It was the player base, many who had been steadfast and loyal supporters of SOE, standing up to a developer trying to pull a MAJOR fast one on the player base... but to you, you don't see people standing up for their rights as a player and the promises of the product they bought.. all you see is "crybabies"... makes me wonder if you put that logic towards ED who are the ones crying that ED isn't what it should be?

As for your question... Game Devs ARE allowed to make the game better, but there is a huge difference in adding something or tweaking something and making huge game altering changes and changes to the core of the game... and when they make a promise they need to keep it, or it is false advertising. EVERYONE... you, me, Aunt, Jockey, Goose, Ziggy, even down to the rankest new player who just got their sidewinder tonight and opened their eyes to the game were promised something.

" Your second-to-second actions could have you taking the roles of trader, pirate, bounty hunter, leader, team player, opportunistic assassin, grand schemer, and more. You are at the centre of the action any time, any place and any way you choose – each action has a consequence, and influences the galaxy around you. "

That is from the kickstarter and it is a promise FDev have kept and continue to keep, separating the game into two "halves" or removing the BGS or PP from only certain modes... all those are promise breakers and do alter the game.

+1 to copy/paste the BGS to let the solo people who want interaction to have their safe space. Then you don't have to drain the deep end for the lowest common denominator. While you're at it, give the "Open PvE" three difficulty settings if it gets too stressful for them and replace solo mode with a solo flag so they can disappear if they don't want to interact.
"Open" stays open with it's own copy of the BGS and the two diverge, where I personally would consider "Open PvE" to be a virtual reality within "Open" and the divergence would be celebrated.

Top Bottom