Can you tell us if Smear Campaigns are in game yet? Anyone find one with the update?

Don't mean to steal your thunder or anything, but been there, done that ;)

Made this vid about two and a half weeks ago, and then proceeded to use this build to grind up to merc elite

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/nth7o1
I love your vids btw and I think you'll do a way more fantastic job than me. If you want any footage let me know, I spent a fair amount of time looking for the best 0.06G planet with a high intensity CZ to do this.

Edit: Just to add, I added improved sprint shortly after because I found that using L-6s significantly encumber you and slow you down if you need to move about the map (there aren't many small maps where all the drop points are within range of a single reload/recharge point, and you will eventually find yourself having to reposition from time to time and running out of stamina). This significantly improved the kill count performance :)
Nice, yeah I knew I wouldn't be "first" with anything Odyssey related as my goal with my channel has never been to be first but to be best so I wanted to take the time to really, fully understand everything before I go popping my mouth off about what is best. That said from day one I've been eyeing this build as it's pretty insane isn't it??

Back to farming I go....

Nice, yeah I knew I wouldn't be "first" with anything Odyssey related as my goal with my channel has never been to be first but to be best so I wanted to take the time to really, fully understand everything before I go popping my mouth off about what is best. That said from day one I've been eyeing this build as it's pretty insane isn't it??

Back to farming I go....
It is insane, the only criticism I have of it is how reliant it is on low G planets to work really well... but even that is not really that bad since you can just point blank people (not too close to the point you eat your own splash damage of course). Also I found that the mods I listed for the L-6s are pretty much mandatory for this build. e.g. fast reload is quite necessary because otherwise it takes too long for stowed reload to complete the reload cycle, and if you pull the weapon out again before the reload cycle completes while stowed, you get an empty weapon that needs to restart the reload cycle, so now you have TWO empty guns.

I've got it on a dominator (no other mods, just bought it to test) and so not really suitable for "live demonstration" purposes. But I have a feeling it'll be quite useful in some situations on heists and sabotages where you're navigating restricted areas.

But the shorter range where NPCs will hear your footsteps isn't easy to gauge. I just think it should be "the same as crouch" (silent). It wouldn't break the game in any way and would just make the use of this mod simpler. As it is, one has no way of knowing the difference until tested out and then there's no simple way to measure that going forward, short of constantly looking at the radar. It's too risky, therefore, to use in many cases where it would have a positive impact.

I'd say "for professional use only" which is a bit restrictive. Even if I can master it, I can't say it's going to be worth promoting as a method worth investing practice in when crouch does the trick and is only marginally slower than jogging.
I've got a dom with quiet footsteps and it definitely makes some sort of difference. I've been right on top of unalerted people before they notice me, and had situations like this one where a guard that had come running to investigate my earlier gunfire and bodies and not found me (as I'd swiftly left the area and gone to loot the security datapoint) and with me making absolutely no effort to remain stealthy as I'd considered myself to have gone loud at that point, bust through a door to find the guy there with his back to me.

I'm pretty sure a normal suit would have turned around to the sound of footsteps at that distance, but this dude just didn't notice.

I've got a dom with quiet footsteps and it definitely makes some sort of difference. I've been right on top of unalerted people before they notice me, and had situations like this one where a guard that had come running to investigate my earlier gunfire and bodies and not found me (as I'd swiftly left the area and gone to loot the security datapoint) and with me making absolutely no effort to remain stealthy as I'd considered myself to have gone loud at that point, bust through a door to find the guy there with his back to me.

I'm pretty sure a normal suit would have turned around to the sound of footsteps at that distance, but this dude just didn't notice.
Yeh, that's basically what I said :) If you had "jogged" one more step or so the guard would have heard you. Whereas crouching, you can go right up to touching distance and they don't (as it's silent). If you didn't have the mod on your suit, the guard would have turned by the time you shot.

I didn't record a video of my testing but if the target has a triangle (ie they are moving) then they hear you as soon as your triangle touches theirs. It's not scientifically accurate. It's hard to precisely measure and a static target is just a dot so it's even harder.

I guess you showed the "outer limit" of audio distance for jogging there. I think it is going to be useful in some cases. But in the case you demonstrated, shooting at visual range would have been the same outcome. So the use of this will be more when you're not shooting and just want to get through restricted zones without getting heard. You can at least do that quickly, so long as you're comfortable with the margin for error with getting too close.

Yeh, that's basically what I said :) If you had "jogged" one more step or so the guard would have heard you. Whereas crouching, you can go right up to touching distance and they don't (as it's silent). If you didn't have the mod on your suit, the guard would have turned by the time you shot.

I didn't record a video of my testing but if the target has a triangle (ie they are moving) then they hear you as soon as your triangle touches theirs. It's not scientifically accurate. It's hard to precisely measure and a static target is just a dot so it's even harder.

I guess you showed the "outer limit" of audio distance for jogging there. I think it is going to be useful in some cases. But in the case you demonstrated, shooting at visual range would have been the same outcome. So the use of this will be more when you're not shooting and just want to get through restricted zones without getting heard. You can at least do that quickly, so long as you're comfortable with the margin for error with getting too close.
the main thing is going to be when I get some audio masking going and test the limits of people at the foot of a building being able to hear me on the roof, as that's my main thing. I actually lasted a decent while clearing some scavs with an executioner from the roof of a decently sized building and just legging it to a different vantage point after each shot. They heard the shots, but didn't hear me running to the new spot.

What finally gave my position away was when I landed a bodyshot that didn't quite kill the target, which is what I get for going into a fight with only a grade 2 gun.

the main thing is going to be when I get some audio masking going and test the limits of people at the foot of a building being able to hear me on the roof, as that's my main thing. I actually lasted a decent while clearing some scavs with an executioner from the roof of a decently sized building and just legging it to a different vantage point after each shot. They heard the shots, but didn't hear me running to the new spot.

What finally gave my position away was when I landed a bodyshot that didn't quite kill the target, which is what I get for going into a fight with only a grade 2 gun.
If it's the same as noise supression, it'll simply reduce the range the gun shot sound is carried to. It's very generous (really close) and so I think we'll be able to do scavenger missions without alerting any one so long as we're not seen, the kill isn't seen and we kill before shields go up. In theory, even if the kill is seen and you're fast enough (i.e. two shot kill on shields) then it should still not result in any alert.

The thing that gets scavs to swarm from distances is the gun shots (that includes their gun shots). They can go red and still not engage if they don't actually see you (and you can hear their disalogue confirm this). So if they hear nothing, they'll keep on being grey and doing their patrol.

If it's the same as noise supression, it'll simply reduce the range the gun shot sound is carried to. It's very generous (really close) and so I think we'll be able to do scavenger missions without alerting any one so long as we're not seen, the kill isn't seen and we kill before shields go up. In theory, even if the kill is seen and you're fast enough (i.e. two shot kill on shields) then it should still not result in any alert.

The thing that gets scavs to swarm from distances is the gun shots (that includes their gun shots). They can go red and still not engage if they don't actually see you (and you can hear their disalogue confirm this). So if they hear nothing, they'll keep on being grey and doing their patrol.
Yeah. I just did an assassination mission with the extra objective to not kill anyone besides the target. They were just a dude patrolling outside.
I'd forgotten to switch loadouts so I was still in my maverick with noise-suppressed (not audio-masked) pistol and... an L-6.

I just nailed them with the rocket launcher when they walked past the building I was on and legged it. Didn't hear any alarms go off. I don't think anyone saw me actually shoot, but the sound definitely brought people running from a good distance away - if anything the fact that they all ran to check out the explosion cleared the path back to my ship.

Sure, it does help some as you said, I just see no point to it as if you crouch you can get that close to people already so for me it's just a waste of a slot. I was able to find/buy a Dom with it so I could test it out, I was NOT impressed.

And so - back on topic:

HAS ANYONE FOUND SMEAR CAMPAGINS? If not I call that they do NOT exist (which is painfully obvious). What I can't fathom - how the F is this so hard to fix?? How has this taken 3 WEEKS???

Oh, that's right, it's Frontier we're talking about, that's how....

~X

You know what's meme-tastic? A pair of L-6s with Stowed reload, faster reload, faster handling, magazine size, used with a Dom suit with extra ammo and improved jump assist, on a low-G planet, in a high CZ

That's Ironman/warmachine shizz right there.
That's hilarious, I had the same idea for a build.
My inspiration came from playing a lot of Pharah in Overwatch tho. :p

LF Mercy mains for 2 stack fun! :D

Last edited:
There'll be an interesting race on Thursday morning to see who can be the first to find the elusive dirt.
I've kinda burned out on the search back when we didn't know it was broken, and we were told by fdev that "there's no problem, y'alls just not looking hard enough". I quit it only after it was abundantly clear it was broken, someone else can be first, idc anymore

Edit: HOWEVER, if fdev gives us information about where to find it BEFORE the patch next week, I will drop everything and go grind that to hell, to see if its the truth, and also as a form of apology for doubting fdev (ASSUMING we find it where they tell us it is).

Last edited:
I've kinda burned out on the search back when we didn't know it was broken, and we were told by fdev that "there's no problem, y'alls just not looking hard enough". I quit it only after it was abundantly clear it was broken, someone else can be first, idc anymore

Edit: HOWEVER, if fdev gives us information about where to find it BEFORE the patch next week, I will drop everything and go grind that to hell, to see if its the truth, and also as a form of apology for doubting fdev (ASSUMING we find it where they tell us it is).
But they won't

I bought a g2 Executioner with audio masking. It's G5 now, plus some other stuff. I truly enjoy using it. In both the silent kill scenario of shields off and in the double tap (added stability and +mag cap)

You are correct, as long as no one sees you. You are golden.

I have one slot left, not sure what to put on it, but what I have works really well.

Last edited:
I bought a g2 Executioner with audio masking. It's G5 now, plus some other stuff. I truly enjoy using it. In both the silent kill scenario of shields off and in the double tap (added stability and +mag cap)

You are correct, as long as no one sees you. You are golden.

I have one slot left, not sure what to put on it, but what I have works really well.
For weapons, unless you have a specific build you are looking to make (e.g. L-6 rocketman meme build) the main mods that will have the most impact on missions are noise suppression, audio masking, stowed reload, magazine size.

This is getting ridiculous. Over five weeks after lauch, and over two weeks after this thread started, the community was still unable to unlock Yarden Bond, and it appeared that Smear Campaign Plans were removed / bugged away after a patch, as Hawkes Gaming stated, and even made a video about:

I sent a message directly to Fdev a few minutes ago. I got a reply almost instantly. I was told they are aware of the issue and are looking into it right now. Here is the thing Commanders. I saw two of them 8 days ago 1 day before last weeks patch. The patch that was live for the last 7 days killed smears. When that patch hit they were removed. Currently with this patch they are still not in game. Confirmed directly to me when I asked them directly.

This is the video I made yesterday about the holy grail that is Smears.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr9c5jVJcgM

But what am I even writing, when I can simply repeat what others already mentioned:

Rare? as in almost every elite grinder and insane-theorycrafting-check-every-corner-of-every-dungeon-multiple-times-so-that-I-can-be-first-to-unlock-Yarden-Bond player (last I checked there was a whole discord worth of those) not being able to find even one kind of rare?

Well I mean, glad you kept us updated, appreciate it much, but if it is in game and it's NOT broken and will not be fixed/adjusted, then that is really insane; more insane than Kit Fowler's already insane 40 opinion poll grind.

Are they "In the game" in the sense that the item exist in the live codebase, or "in the game" in the sense someone on the dev team has actually physically gone to a data port and verified they are, in fact, spawning? The fact that a month after release, the entirety of the current Odyssey playerbase working in coordnation still hasn't managed to confirm the existence of one, let alone the eight required, seems...odd.

The fact that nobody (afaik) has posted any definitive correlation between settlement types, faction states and data types suggests to me that they are either completely random and reliant on RNGesus, or not working as intended.

The fact that FDev are being vague, if not elusive about them, is making it look like it's the latter. If it is an issue just say so please FDev, so we can avoid further frustation & doubt and give you time to fix it while we enjoy other content Odyssey has to offer.

The fact that major content (certain engineering recipes) is unattainable months after launch, even by hundreds of motivated and active players trying to unlock it (as shown on Inara), paired with FDevs claim that it is unlockable and lack of action until this point, shows how very sloppy and lazy this game is handled.

You know, I think it is time that we developers and the development community at large come up with a rigorous method for testing whether or not all of our software subsystems and user experiences perform as expected before launching a final product. I propose an iterative and tiered system of tests using the Greek alphabet to distinguish the different phases. We could even involve a selection of our customer base in testing our release candidates since they always manage to find issues that slip past us.

Too radical?

Exactly. There are lots of decent and well-established QA procedures. Coding is not at all some magical mess, but a structured process in a well-defined environment. As a computer scientist I personally know some things about software design and it baffles me how bad projects in corporations are often managed. It regularly seems that an underlying issue is high project member fluctuation due to bad company policies and hostile working environments. Which explains why even free open-source software is oftentimes produced in a much more professional and correct manner, since by people not chasing after money but after goals that their product carries out. I just find it sad that FDev failed to find the right people and an effective working environment for ED.

I'm sorry but after three weeks no one unlocked the engineer that needs Smear Campaigns.

That should tell you something about the variety of factors at play. There are too many :ROFLMAO:

True. Also it remains the question where the discrepancy of what Hawkes Gaming wrote, and what FDev claimed in this thread, stems from.

Apology accepted :)

What a great example to validate prior criticism. Being sarcastic on a fake / rhetoric apology, when actually FDev should make some sincere apologies (with sincerity shown by corresponding actions) for horribly mismanaging a paid product.

This is getting ridiculous. Over five weeks after lauch, and over two weeks after this thread started, the community was still unable to unlock Yarden Bond, and it appeared that Smear Campaign Plans were removed / bugged away after a patch, as Hawkes Gaming stated, and even made a video about:

But what am I even writing, when I can simply repeat what others already mentioned:

The fact that major content (certain engineering recipes) is unattainable months after launch, even by hundreds of motivated and active players trying to unlock it (as shown on Inara), paired with FDevs claim that it is unlockable and lack of action until this point, shows how very sloppy and lazy this game is handled.

Exactly. There are lots of decent and well-established QA procedures. Coding is not at all some magical mess, but a structured process in a well-defined environment. As a computer scientist I personally know some things about software design and it baffles me how bad projects in corporations are often managed. It regularly seems that an underlying issue is high project member fluctuation due to bad company policies and hostile working environments. Which explains why even free open-source software is oftentimes produced in a much more professional and correct manner, since by people not chasing after money but after goals that their product carries out. I just find it sad that FDev failed to find the right people and an effective working environment for ED.

True. Also it remains the question where the discrepancy of what Hawkes Gaming wrote, and what FDev claimed in this thread, stems from.

What a great example to validate prior criticism. Being sarcastic on a fake / rhetoric apology, when actually FDev should make some sincere apologies (with sincerity shown by corresponding actions) for horribly mismanaging a paid product.

I mean, there’s as much evidence that Hawkes Gaming found one as there is to confirm Zac’s claim that there in game right now.

Last edited:
What a great example of someone who needs to chill out and relax a bit. Imagine if fdev talked to us the way you just talked to them ....

Top Bottom