Notice Canopy Integrity

Hi, thank you for the clarification, it seems like the confusing systems behind this though leaves people not very convinced...

So you fixed it breaking at 50% integrity so it will now break at 0% integrity. If this was the issue that needed fixing then why halve its integrity after fixing the bug? By my math if X was original integrity and it broke at 50%, that gives an effective maximum integrity of X/2. Assuming you fixed it breaking at 50%, then it would have an effective maximum integrity of X. You then said you you halved the integrity, so its back to an effective maximum integrity of X/2. How is this fixing the problem? Before issue fixed it was at X/2 max and after fix it is still X/2 max. Unless of course you decided that X/2 was the original integrity and halved that so canopies now have X/4 maximum integrity?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Will said, but it sounds to me like the variable that controls the canopy integrity was 50 higher than it should have been and they've now changed this so that 50 = 100% health and 0 = 0% health... So the overall "hit points"(for want of a better term) of the canopy was 50HP. So, even though the scale previously went from 50 to 100, with 50 = 0% health and 100 = 100% health, they've not actually made the integrity any less as you've still only got 50HP to play with anyway. It's just that the scale now correctly goes from 0 to 50 rather that 50 to 100.

Maybe I'm wrong (I've not had my coffee yet!) but that's what it sounds like to me.

No, Will said the canopy with 30 integrity always broke at 50% integrity. So they fixed it to break at 0% but they also halved the integrity so now canopies have 15 integrity.
But there were 2 conclusive video proofs and some memory recollections that confirmed the canopies were not breached at less than 50% integrity.
Which mean the canopy integrity was actually nerfed not kept constant for balance as affirmed by Will.

tbh, this is one change that should be reverted.

If you had looked at the Companion API, Journal, or repair screen, you would find that the canopy used to break at 50% as reported by those (which was reported as 0% in the modules screen).

With the Canopy now breaking at 0%, this would appear to result in dropping from supercruise no longer causing the canopy to break, as dropping from supercruise does a random percentage damage to the remaining health of a module, and will not bring a module all the way to 0%.

No, Will said the canopy with 30 integrity always broke at 50% integrity. So they fixed it to break at 0% but they also halved the integrity so now canopies have 15 integrity.
But there were 2 conclusive video proofs and some memory recollections that confirmed the canopies were not breached at less than 50% integrity.
Which mean the canopy integrity was actually nerfed not kept constant for balance as affirmed by Will.

tbh, this is one change that should be reverted.

Okay, so the canopy with 30HP broke at 50%, which is 15HP (half of 30 is 15 it's very basic maths), and now it breaks at 0HP and has a maximum of 15HP... So no matter what we still have and always have had 15HP, but they adjusted it to make 0 out of 15 the point it fails and not 15 out of 30.. So nothing has actually changed except the scale now correctly goes from 0 to 15 rather 15 to 30.

So, why the hell are people crying about it?

They've not even nerfed it, just adjusted it to be more accurate.

So, why the hell are people crying about it?

They've not even nerfed it, just adjusted it to be more accurate.

Read the post you quoted again and those posts it references.

Frontier thought the canopy always used to break at 50%. Frontier was wrong.

Maybe it was supposed to break at 50% before, but this was not always (or perhaps ever) the case.

Maybe it was supposed to break at 50% before, but this was not always (or perhaps ever) the case.

The modules UI used to report 50% canopy integrity as 0%. Now it reports 0% canopy integrity as 0%.

You will now find that no matter how many times you drop from supercruise, the canopy will not break, while it used to break after a few high speed drops from supercruise. Each drop will also appear to take less health than it used to.

regardless of what it was then, and what it is now, to be honest i would say the "best" kind of setting would be that once you go below 50% you get an increased chance of conopy failure at any point.... and then keep in that any energency drop out of SC or heat damage etc etc will reduce the canopy integrity at an enhanced rate thus increasing the chance of faulure even more.

TBH i bet that is how the system was supposed to work when designed at the start, tho perhaps from what is being said it never worked properly.

but i can think of no logical reason why it would always fail at 50%. IF that is the case then to me it sounds like FD have given up on making it work and just gone to a "zero heath means it will break" solution which imo is more gamey and simplistic.

canopies failing in space (and submarine) games/films/stories if done well are a real cause of tension and drama. it would be cool if you were an explorer some 100 jumps out slowly seeing the cracks getting bigger and bigger and hoping to hell it does not fail before getting close enough that you will be able to make it on limited oxygen.

50% should be at the point where the integrity is so low that failure is inevitable BUT how you fly combined with a luck factor means this may be a matter of minutes or even an hr away.

Last edited:
The modules UI used to report 50% canopy integrity as 0%. Now it reports 0% canopy integrity as 0%.

You will now find that no matter how many times you drop from supercruise, the canopy will not break, while it used to break after a few high speed drops from supercruise. Each drop will also appear to take less health than it used to.

If you check the movies linked in previous pages you see that the modules UI reported 40% canopy integrity while the canopy was still standing.

According to Frontier, the UI used to report 0% canopy integrity as 50% below which the canopy would be broken.

Proof (multiple videos of intact canopy below 50% before 3.4) has been provided that this was not the case.

it would be cool if you were an explorer some 100 jumps out slowly seeing the cracks getting bigger and bigger and hoping to hell it does not fail before getting close enough that you will be able to make it on limited oxygen.

Life support synthesis took the air out of that possible source of tension.

I could start the longest exploration trip my CMDR has ever been on (~5700 jumps) with a broken canopy and it would barely matter.

I think some of you need to relearn basic maths...

I think some of you need to relearn basic maths...

Speak for yourself. I'm not the one arguing that 40 is greater than 50.

Frontier said the canopy was breaking at 50% displayed integrity before. This is false.

Prior to the April Update, the canopy used to break when it was at 50% integrity

Well prior to the April update:
ud61pec.png

Source: https://i.imgur.com/ud61pec.png

Canopy needs a buff across the board. I can't count the amount of fights where a single cannon or rail will blow my window clean out. Sure enough, a window ain't going to resist damage like the Hull should, but on the whole, they're way too big a weak link.

For the people confused by the maths: Old canopy can take 30 damage. When it takes 15, it breaks.
Now canopy can take 15 damage. When it takes 15, it breaks.
Capice?

Sounds to me like it could take 15 points and still be unbroken, only cracked. Now it has 15 points total and is bye bye once they're taken away. So to me that sounds like a weaker canopy. 🤔

Speak for yourself. I'm not the one arguing that 40 is greater than 50.

Frontier said the canopy was breaking at 50% displayed integrity before. This is false.

Well prior to the April update:
ud61pec.png

Source: https://i.imgur.com/ud61pec.png

I'm not saying 40 is greater than 50, I'm saying that if FDev have moved the scale so it now works from 0 to 15 rather than 15 to 30, that's still half of 30 and is therefore still 15. So the overall integrity of the canopy has not changed, it's just move to a new scale that makes more sense.

That display above shows a percentage of overall HP, not the absolute value. If we were seeing absolute values and the cockpit was undamaged (pre-update) we'd see 30, but then people would be asking why the canopy broke when it reached 15 instead of 0. On the new post-update scale it starts at 0 and goes to 15 so if it was 100% it would be 15, if it was 50% that would be 7.5, if it was 0% that would be 0. So 40% of 15 would be 6. (40% on the old pre-update scale from 15 to 30 would be 21 btw, 0% would be 15, 50% would be 22.5 and 100% would be 30... Why they did it this way I don't know because it's stupid and is why we now have a load of confusion on the forums as regards to how the system actually works).

Now, FDev are saying that the canopy was breaking at 50% out of 30. That's 50% of the in-game variable not 50% of the percentage that the player sees in the UI, which is totally different. So we had a scale that goes from 0 to 30, but we were only using the top half of this scale and 50% of that scale, which is 15, was where the cockpit broke and reached 0% on the UI. However, because we were e only using 15 of the available 30, we only had 15 HP to play with and so the overall integrity of the cockpit is 15 which is then turned into a percentage from 0 to 100% to show the player how much strength the canopy had. So the UI could easily display 40% because the canopy HP was actually at 21 out of 15 to 30 (40%) and not 15 out of 30 (0%).

The way they have it working now, going from 0 to 15 and working a percentage out from that makes way more sense that going from 15 to 30.

Last edited:
Top Bottom