Celebration of Early Astronomy Expedition

All of the image links appear broken to me. They're all throwing SSL errors:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to knowltey.com. Peer reports it experienced an internal error.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Also this error:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to knowltey.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Also this error:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to knowltey.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Hmm, well that's odd. Do you have an addon or something that is trying to force the connection to HTTPS?

EDIT: Okay, seems there is an issue with the SSL cert, one moment.
EDIT2: I've reapplied the cert to the domain, it got deassociated somehow, so the HTTPS links should start working again soon.

Last edited:
Oh, this does look fun. That's a fine list of astronomical targets. I'm always happy when the Pipe Nebula gets love - it's not much to look at up close (although it's amazing in infrared) but it occupied me for a few months back in grad school. Somehow I missed this thread until now, but I think it might be time to finally send my secondary account out on an expedition.

Oh, you have no idea how often this becomes an internal struggle. It's like "I could fly this one, because of X feature... but then I'd have to give up Y on this other ship." This is how I ended up flying 3 different ships in DW2. ;) :D
Ah, and I thought I was bad dragging two ships with me! To be fair, my main exploration ship was a T6, which wouldn't have worked so well for the mining goals.

I think I'll tag along for this one.

Naturally I will be bringing my Courier :cool:

Question: What is the plan for meetups/mass jumps/etc.? I see the departure is on friday (a work day, hard to coordinate a common time for EU/NA)... Or is the plan for everyone to mostly just do their own thing?

I think I'll tag along for this one.

Naturally I will be bringing my Courier :cool:

Question: What is the plan for meetups/mass jumps/etc.? I see the departure is on friday (a work day, hard to coordinate a common time for EU/NA)... Or is the plan for everyone to mostly just do their own thing?

There will be mass jumps, which I need to finalize the time on. The EU will probably be launching in what would be Saturday their time though.

EDIT: I have decided and will be announcing the jump times soon. EU will actually be launching first in what is early afternoon in the Americas as well for any Americans that can't make the evening American slot.

Last edited:
Nice! I already turned around from 45kLYs away and will be riding the neutron highway to join you ASAP. Please, keep us forumites posted, too, I suck at using Discord.

I suck with discord too, though I'm trying to get better about it. Part of the problem is that I'm on something like 10+ discord servers and don't keep up with any of them. :D

Should be a good time. I haven't looked to see if any of the POIs require higher jump ranges. I'm thinking of taking one of my lower ranged ships, relatively speaking.

That is quite a route; in order to make it more comprehensible I have built a spreadsheet that details the distances and jump requirements between each POI and for all 9 legs; it considers the range of one's ship.

With this spreadsheet I have determined the following:
1 - the first part (wp1 to wp33, Jan 3 to Jan 24) has many stops with very little distance and passes back at its closest to the bubble at wp33 (+-2000 LY).
2 - the middle (wp33 to wp71, Jan 24 to Apr 15) this part will be way harder with long distances to travel, a loop to Explorers Anchorage and again near the bubble at wp71 (+-2000 LY).
3 - the final Part (wp72 to wp 85, Apr 15 to Apr 26) a figurative cherry on top, the last part will come back to the slower pace from the beginning.
4 - If one was to make a detour to the bubble midway, the 2 best moments to do so are after wp33 and wp71.
5 - Completion of this expedition without detours will require about 20 to 30 jumps per day for 50ly ships and 14 to 19 jumps per day for 75ly ships. except for leg2 which is much lower

My personal conclusions: I have a Conda that does just above 80 LY per jump but I can only carry 1 SRV and nothing else. My favorite ship for hanging out and doing shenanigans is the Beluga and is decked out with a fighter bay, limpets and 2 SRV's but only has 56 LY per jump and WAY slower refuel. So for practical reasons I NEED my Conda for the middle part but with all the POI's in the first and third part I want my favorite toy to take full advantage of campsites. So I am going to swap ships twice during the expedition

This is all detailed in the spreadsheet you can download it and workout your own real numbers: Google Spreadsheet
Looking forward to seeing you out there! Cheers CMDR's o7
CMDR Tanakona
(Preview)
excel prv.JPG

Also the chance with some of the landmarks to go outside on a clear night and find where you are in the game in the real sky, as some of the closer to Earth landmarks are visible in the night sky, some to the naked eye, and some only requiring only minimal astronomy equipment.
Apologies if I (or other people) have already mentioned this in the thread but this is something I used to love doing when I first started playing Elite: Dangerous. I'm sure many others are available but I used the "SkyView" app on the iPad. This is one of those augmented reality apps. It has a search function so often you can type in either the star name (e.g. Mintaka) or its star catalogue designation (e.g. the HIP number) and it will then highlight the star in question on the display (with an arrow to follow if the tablet isn't currently pointing in the right direction). If you're lucky the star will be above the horizon at night time allowing you to stand in your garden (or nearby field), look up into the sky and find the system where your ship is currently parked. I always found that kinda wonderful!

n.b. unlike these chumps who seem to be trying to do it in broad daylight!
0.jpeg

Good luck on the expedition everyone. Alas I won't be joining you, partly because long range expeditions aren't quite my thing, and partly because I appear to have unwittingly embarked on what might turn into another planetary circumnavigation in the SRV.

My personal conclusions: I have a Conda that does just above 80 LY per jump but I can only carry 1 SRV and nothing else. My favorite ship for hanging out and doing shenanigans is the Beluga and is decked out with a fighter bay, limpets and 2 SRV's but only has 56 LY per jump and WAY slower refuel. So for practical reasons I NEED my Conda for the middle part but with all the POI's in the first and third part I want my favorite toy to take full advantage of campsites. So I am going to swap ships twice during the expedition

Thanks for compiling that, it's definitely handy seeing all the distances at a glance there.

That said, I say take the ship you'll have more fun in, and plan to use the neutron highway for the long haul segments. The long legs are all well clear of the neutron exclusion zones after all. For instance, I'm planning to be there in a T9 with 41 LY range and plenty of toys.

I suck with discord too, though I'm trying to get better about it. Part of the problem is that I'm on something like 10+ discord servers and don't keep up with any of them. :D

Should be a good time. I haven't looked to see if any of the POIs require higher jump ranges. I'm thinking of taking one of my lower ranged ships, relatively speaking.
Heh, yeah, that's just how Discord is. I've lost count of how many Elite: Dangerous Discord servers I'm in. Don't keep up with most of them, but they are there if I ever need them, or in some cases just basically for looking up resources that they have int heir server and what-not.

There will be mass jumps, which I need to finalize the time on. The EU will probably be launching in what would be Saturday their time though.

EDIT: I have decided and will be announcing the jump times soon. EU will actually be launching first in what is early afternoon in the Americas as well for any Americans that can't make the evening American slot.
For those of us not having discord handy, any updates on the launch times?

For those of us not having discord handy, any updates on the launch times?

My apologies, I didn't see this until too late. The initial mass jumps have already occurred, however there will be others, which I will be updating the second post in this thread with that information as the expedition goes along and will be the first place the information is announced.

Top Bottom