News Chapter Four Exploration Recap

Question:

At what point exactly in the process does the planetary First Discovery tag happen? (Not when data is sold, obviously, but when honking? pointing the ship at the body? DSSing it at 100%, but isn't this mapping it? Etc.)

Question:
Do all systems have a nav beacon per default?
I mean if i reach a system where no one ever was before … who puts that nav beacon there before?!?

Proposal:
The player should be given the option to place a nav beacon in the system when he is the first one who has discovered it.
The nav beacon should be used as a storage facility for all discovered data from this system and all pilots can up-loaded/store their local system discovery data to this nav beacon!

Last edited:
Stream just ended. And even though my concern about losing the information in the system map couldn't be answered, it was nice to hear that this issue (and quite a few others) are going to be taken into consideration.

Can't ask for more than that.

@Adam, get well soon!

I have to say I really like the "you have to discover it" new methodology!

Sadly, people can become conditioned to the easy, "point and click", inch deep gameplay that the current exploration mechanics are.

This, will mean that you will learn for example that ELW have a signature in the upper middle of the EM range, or that maybe Gas Giants have a heavy EM across the range. Exploration becomes a deduction based analyzing and enthralling pastime, not a 5 seconds flick through system map after hoink and hover mouse over planets, doing that 110000 times is better?? Some of you are definitely space crazy!

I missed this stream is there a bullet point recap anywhere.?
If not was vr discussed at all? Cheers

VR was discussed but Adam hadn't tested it himself and didn't know where things were with it.
It was a random question so can't point you at the time, stream's not too long though.

--------------------

Thanks Ed and Adam, always appreciate the time you put into the streams. Good to hear some of the concerns have been heard and I'm liking how it looks o7

I really hope that they will make honk reveal all bodies in system. Even just black spheres with distance to entry point.

Question:
I mean if i reach a system where no one ever was before … who puts that nav beacon there before?!?

Proposal:
The player should be given the option to place a nav beacon in the system when he is the first one who has discovered it.
The nav beacon should be used as a storage facility for all discovered data from this system and all pilots can up-loaded/store their local system discovery data to this nav beacon!

Oooh... I like this one. If you're going out to get the Guardian blueprints, for instance, you can scan a nav beacon that was placed there instead of everyone having to pinpoint the planets on a map. (Not sure how it'll work with points of interest now.)

Question:

Proposal:

Extension to my proposal: Player groups/squads should have the option to secure their nav beacons with a password only the group/squad knows.

Great, thank you so much for the livestream Ed & Adam and going into a bit more depths about the mechanics. Really looking forward to seeing a livestream showcasing this and trying it in the beta.

Following the livestream I'd like to reiterate some of my questions/concerns from the "mega-thread":

"Honk"
+ maybe fill system map with already-discovered bodies submitted by other Commanders. Seems a little redundant to have to re-discover everything. But only provide additional monetary reward if player re-scans bodies. (EDIT: Lore: money paid to verify previous data submissions)
+ this could tie in with the suggestion of being able to deploy a "micro nav-beacon". Not only would it indicate to other explorers that somebody has already visited this system even if they haven't sold the data yet, but it would let others access the already-gathered information on the system and spend their time and effort on any remaining bodies in the system. "Standing on the shoulders of giants" kind of thing. (EDIT: Perhaps micro nav-beacon could be auto-deployed during "honk" if there isn't one in the system already?)

Discovery Scan
+ allow the Discovery Scanner to be usable from normal space as well as Supercruise. Otherwise scanning will be very dangerous near inhabited systems (interdictions).
+ Please don't show detailed information such as relative resource abundancies from the Discovery Scan. DO show -what- resources are available (and hint at any special resources/POIs?) but leave the details for the Surface Scan/Probes.

Display
+ Please just have a pop-up, not a full-screen display, to maintain some level of situational awareness while flying.
+ Increase the size of the UI elements for VR (or allow user to increase the UI scale). The sample screenshots seem to be quite small.

Probes
+ Can you fire probes at multiple bodies at the same time? For example, in a tight system of moons around a gas giant.
+ Will you only see interesting POIs once you've mapped the entire planet, or will you be able to see the ones in a partially-mapped planet?
+ Please don't "pin-point" POIs but display search areas. Give us a reason to fly down and reconnoiter with SRV or ship/SLF.

Probe Synthesis
+ ensure required resources can be gathered by mining laser or SRV. This allows smaller ships to skip having to lug an SRV hangar and, of course, non-Horizons players need to be able to gather resources too.
+ materials and recipe should be very simple; think SRV fuel.
+ will higher-grade synth increase probe range and/or coverage?

Engineering Proposals
+ better coverage per probe
+ increased probe-speed / range
+ light-weight scanners
+ combined scanners
+ utility-mountable scanners

Last edited:
Top Bottom