Charon Circumnavigation

Tried turret mode? Reset pips (arrow down) and see if this gets any juice to the guns? Keybinds setup correctly?

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I've tried re-wiring the fire trigger (changing the keybind) - but that hasn't worked. All the other joystick buttons still do what they are supposed to do. Pips might be the answer.

I've tried re-wiring the fire trigger (changing the keybind) - but that hasn't worked. All the other joystick buttons still do what they are supposed to do. Pips might be the answer.
If you have ammo left and unobstructed line of fire and firing stops mid-burst, you can be sure the reason is either weapon overheating or empty WEP capacitor.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
It was the pips.

I have cleaned up the cockpit as it seems the cause was my Hutton Mug getting stuck behind the pips distributor. Who knew that the special radiaton the Hutton Mugs give off to keep your drink warm would interfere with the pips?

I'm preparing some photo's and will make a longer update later on today.

Last edited:
FYI, regarding Pluto having an atmosphere...

It has one ..... sometimes. During the time of it's year when it's closer(ish) to the sun, it has a very light water vapor atmosphere. Other times during it's year, the atmosphere freezes and "snows" down on to the surface.

Once we can land there, please make sure your boots are clean, as you'll be walking on Pluto's air (if it's winter). No one wants dirty boot-air once we can land there. :D

Enjoying your journey. Will be waiting for the power point presentation.
Can't wait until we can try this on Titan. Imagine the smell of methane in the air. [woah]

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
That I am in Sol is pretty evident from the number of ships flying around, and old bits of space junk I keep coming across. Like this piece of an old satellite I came across.
Crashed satellite
vm0c4j9.jpg

I have come across two of these so far, and scanned them for some data.

The light has changed since taking that photo, but I can't figure out why. The surface map shows that I am deep in the dark side of the moon, but today as you will see in the following photo's, there is plenty of light.

As I said, there are plenty of ships flying around but I was surprised to find a Fed security ship just hovering.
Traversing the next ridge showed why it was just hanging there....
security checkout
moFh5x0.jpg

I have already talked about the ice and especially hidden craters:
This photo shows two craters side by side. Nothing special you might think, but these two craters are inside a crater that I flew into, and I never even saw it coming!

Crater by a crater in a bigger crater
9wqNuMn.jpg

That was one of those OMG moments. Today I have had 4 OMG's (said out loud!) one release of breath and two sharp intakes of breath as I stopped just in time on crater rims. I have launched myself into two unseen craters so far today and come out pretty much unscathed. Also I'm a bit more confident about being able to get out of them now, as I have climbed some pretty steep ice walls.

I have also been up this:
rkGLrfp.jpg

and have continued on from there. My position is roughly

The ice is a problem. Driving at speed is possible, but steering at speed is extremely limited. Every time I get some speed up, I need to avoid the larger rocks and then end up skidding sideways. The hidden craters are also frequent OMG moments as they are deep, steep and seem to coincide with going fast.

Tonight I'm still wielding the magical '(+2) Hammer of Dent Removal' and am also aiming to get some rest, but hope to get some good driving time in over the next couple of days.

I just noticed in your screen shots that you have your radar zoomed all the way in, which will make it very difficult to see the upcoming terrain. Do you normally run like that? I think zooming all the way out would give you a lot more lead time on seeing those craters, so they won't sneak up on you quite as badly.

I just noticed in your screen shots that you have your radar zoomed all the way in, which will make it very difficult to see the upcoming terrain. Do you normally run like that? I think zooming all the way out would give you a lot more lead time on seeing those craters, so they won't sneak up on you quite as badly.

You can zoom the SRV radar?

giphy.gif

You can zoom the SRV radar?

Yep.

I have the radars (ship and SRV both) set to zoom with the left pinky-finger wheel on my HOTAS throttle, since I couldn't think of anything else to do with that controller wheel. It's pretty handy. ;)

EDIT: Picture of what I'm talking about:

throttle-zoom.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You seem to be following a non-polar route - have you worked out your great circle waypoints for the route chosen?

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I use the slider on my x-52 pro throttle for both ship and SRV.

I have boost on that.

I'll try out the zoomed out scanner this evening, I'd forgotten about it to be honest and do usually just drive around with it set up for the close in view.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I've tuned the scanner and zoomed it out. To be frank I'm not sure its better like this. It really only shows the bigger features - like this one. But if you see a big line across the scanner like that, you KNOW there is something bad ahead.

I went into this crater, and went down, and further down, then further down, then avoided the deeper bits.... and powered up the other side. When I first saw it, it looked to be an almost vertical wall to climb out, but it really wasn't too bad. Just dont stop...... it is ice after all!]

ye4xAz9.png

This is my SRV distance travelled at the start.
dZYdL5d.png

I'm now at 2.11 MM, so I've travelled roughly 500,000 Meters. 500 Km. 1/8th of the way round - if I keep to a great circle (which I'm not).

I need to figure out what bearing I need to take, based on my current location and my destination (the antipodal point (thanks for the word btw :D)).

Anyway, I stopped for a mug of tea and took the time to post this update. I also chilled out with my tea and took in the view.

WckXKlr.png

I've tuned the scanner and zoomed it out. To be frank I'm not sure its better like this. It really only shows the bigger features - like this one. But if you see a big line across the scanner like that, you KNOW there is something bad ahead.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to change it on the fly, depending on the context. More often than not, I set it right in the middle while driving around.

From the coordinates in your screen shot above, 41.4760, 74.0367 to the antipodal point from your starting point, you'll need to follow a bearing of ~ 158.5°

Top Bottom