Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As a final insult to injury, this hack is also apparently able to change HUD color better than any other utility, allowing separate color settings for the UI and radar icons. FDev have been asked about adding options for colorblind players and mentioned that it "wasn't possible."
This is the part that just irks me. I've been wanting to change the orange elements while leaving the scanner pips, shield rings and portraits unaltered since forever, and the thing that comes along to offer that thing is a cheat tool? The thing to give me the harmless UI customisation I want is right there, and I can't have it because I don't want any part of multiplayer cheating.So not only do cheaters get to cheat, they get to have all the other nice things we've been wanting for ages and fdev have said we can't have because "reasons".

While I find it ironic that the OP constructs a topic over players having a massively unfair advantage over other players - and calling it unfair...

I will agree that deliberate cheating using external tools is something totally wrong, even when the tools have no direct influence in my game the way I play it, and every effort should be made by Frontier to remove said cheaters from the game, permanently, and to develop their own 'anti-cheat' (or even license some known good mechanism) software into the game to minimise the chance of hack tools influencing the game.

Well done to Ryan_M & the youtubers for presenting a concerted front.

These types of hacks can be eliminated by Frontier switching to using VPN network connections which encrypt all traffic to and from any user, which would not expose data packets to the hackers.

still doesn't prevent clients to read and write their pyhsical memory with spurious data that will be duly encrypted and transferred over your vpn. you just put a lock on the wall.

This is the part that just irks me. I've been wanting to change the orange elements while leaving the scanner pips, shield rings and portraits unaltered since forever, and the thing that comes along to offer that thing is a cheat tool? The thing to give me the harmless UI customisation I want is right there, and I can't have it because I don't want any part of multiplayer cheating.So not only do cheaters get to cheat, they get to have all the other nice things we've been wanting for ages and fdev have said we can't have because "reasons".

Changing the HUD colors has always been kept by FD as an emergency cash cow. They will put it in store one day.

Honestly banning and/or account deletion is only a slight deterrent to some one that is going to cheat- if they are cheating to get to a higher level nothing stopping them from getting to that level again with a new account, we are all anonymous to start with and opening a new account is nothing.
I know everyone would like it to not happen but there is not much that can be done- some of you say you have more than one account right here in the forum- to me that is not right but you do what you want to do and I will live with it- this is just a game. The way I see it is that ED is a game really of exploration more than anything- they advertise this fact all the time that only less than 1% has been discovered so far. As for cheating it is only going to affect the combat part of the game really from what I can think of.
Moving on...

To be fair, 1st strike should be out.

first strike should have overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing, or you could be banning players for no reason. don't forget your connection and instancing can be flaky or erratic for several reasons. e.g. it can be difficult to appreciate on a youtube video if a shield is not getting damage due to a cheat or a lag spike. this is one other aspect of the chore problem: since frontier have no real control, it would all be about 'interpretation' of evidence.

Some of us never stopped. ;)
True once a programmer always a programmer ;)

I was also once a programmer back in the day, didn't have much of a clue then, even less now. But one thing I do remember is the easier something is to change, the greater the unexpected implications.

Everyone seem to have an opinion on if & how cheating can be prevented, but I guess only FD can know what is & isn't possible.

I'm fairly confident though, that if cheating can be prevented in ED then FD will sort it.

Edit :- meant to say well done for this thread ryan_m

first strike should have overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing, or you could be banning players for no reason. don't forget your connection and instancing can be flaky or erratic for several reasons. e.g. it can be difficult to appreciate on a youtube video if a shield is not getting damage due to a cheat or a lag spike. this is one other aspect of the chore problem: since frontier have no real control, it would all be about 'interpretation' of evidence.

Needless to say the proof needed to be favourably against the alleged offender. But it shouldnt be any different than a 3 strike solution, proof needed should be the same. I am for a 3 strike solution, just to have that said. It was more a "you are deliberately breaking the law/eula, with a tool you found (and potentially was looking for) outside the game that edits game files and gives illegal advantages" thus sentence, if proven to be right, should be swift

EDIT: a youtube video or any other player forwarde evidence should always be treated as to point FD in the direction of potentially opening an investigation, in my opinion.
MDH

Last edited:
I have so many sources where to get hack for this game, maybe in the future I will create one but now I don't wanna use it, I wish to complete this game with legit ways.
No exploits No hack's No cheats
Discord: Shine#1997 questions about hacking only !

As it stands now, yes you are correct, but there are methods to protect memory from those types of insertions before being encrypted by the network connection. For a game, it would be unheard of, but for many corporations, it's done on a regular basis. I taught cyber warfare at a military academy and implemented standards which detected and prevented this form occuring.

yeah, well, this is the aim of consoles. while not invulnerable they still make access a lot harder. pc is definitely the wild west still. that's the dream of 'trusted platforms' and of course they have their use cases.

from a 'military' perspective, look at it like this: why would you bother keeping sensible information safe in enemy territory? it's shouldn't be there in the first place.

an example: it's ok if your client knows your shield strenght. it has to, at the very least to give visual feedback. it is NOT OK for your client to DEFINE your shield strength. this is nonsense, however you encrypt it. there must be a trustable source of truth. the only practical way to guarrantee that is to monopolize access to it. id est, on a server, not behind enemy lines. there it's control is lost already no matter how many times over you encrypt it.

You get caught with a card in your lap once, and it's over. You don't find cash games after that.

Altering the client should be a hard-ban offence.

Yup. 100%

In the meantime, I don't see how people can PVP anymore. PVP is essentially dead now. Granted I don't think I've ever fought anyone who cheated, but I don't PVP that often. I do however play Open only, which is now a mode that has been entirely tainted & corrupted in my view by this news. I play Open Only for the possibility of PVP, and I have ZERO interest in any other mode of the game. So what is left for me? Idk.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom