Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Solo-banning doesn't solve the issue of the effects on the BGS from cheats. It just takes the cheat out of Open play, hardly a punishment. We gamers can spout outrage, and demand punishments, but Developers have to deal with usable proof, and real life legal matters. I am all for pointing cheats and hacks out to FD, but after that it has to be out of our hands. We cannot expect some satisfying result that gives us the warm feelies.

What would be a real punishment would be to remove the chance of gaining rewards/advancement in the game. Anyone who is caught hacking/cheating should just be a ghost. They could fly around, but have no impact. No damage to PC's or NPC's. No ability to take or complete missions. Nothing. The '5 for 1' cheat was bad enough. This state could be for a duration based on the offense, or it could be permanent based on the severity/frequency of the offense.
It's my understanding that shadowbans put you in a server that's not on the same BGS. Sounds like something I would pay for.

pm me your bank account and i'll sort it for you asap. i'll send you an exclusive ready made executable which will disable all modes except solo. please install as administrator.
People who want to play in Solo don't trust other people so they certainly would never give out their bank account information.

What about legitimate head scratching PvP where hacks aren't possible, like on the consoles for example?

I've fired five Plasma shots multiple times into a Krait with a biweave shield sporting a total of 700MJ's, yet despite the absolute damage values amounting to far more than this, the shield still sits relatively unharmed. Four pips to sys can supplement this value, but still...🤔

A FDL can legitimately fly with over 4000/5000MJ's of total shield strength, so it would take a hell of a lot more precise strikes from even five Plasma for this to become evidently effective against the shield of the FDL. One might reckon this is too odd to ignore, but sometimes the fact a fight is drawn out and fast paced brings recharging and efficiency of each shot based on how well they land into play.

But who knows, right?

It's my understanding that shadowbans put you in a server that's not on the same BGS. Sounds like something I would pay for.
More likely they give you the same BGS but all your personal transactions get filed in the round cabinet in the corner of the office.
I have heard of games where reported griefers get sent to the shadowrealm and the matchmaker only pairs them with other reported griefers, which sounds like a hilarious time.

Anybody who amuses their superiority complex with a hack is just a fat belly dancer with a face like a soggy moomin!

Let them enjoy their moment until the ban hammers slam down on their belly, causing a ding ding ding back and forth between their guts and their massive snouts. Ding ding ding, you moomin minks!

Yup. 100%

In the meantime, I don't see how people can PVP anymore. PVP is essentially dead now. Granted I don't think I've ever fought anyone who cheated, but I don't PVP that often. I do however play Open only, which is now a mode that has been entirely tainted & corrupted in my view by this news. I play Open Only for the possibility of PVP, and I have ZERO interest in any other mode of the game. So what is left for me? Idk.
I'm seeing recent calls of "hacker!" that have been proven false, but now the dark cloud of hacking is out there and on everyone's mind. Without a recording, how do you prove otherwise? I record all my sessions now.

I'm seeing recent calls of "hacker!" that have been proven false, but now the dark cloud of hacking is out there and on everyone's mind. Without a recording, how do you prove otherwise? I record all my sessions now.
Yep, finally installed geforce experience for that last week.

Ive looked up the hack tool in question, it wasnt hard to find, at all. (ive not installed or used it).

With regard to the earlier comparison between the 5/1 engineering exploit some years ago and how hacking tools and in game cheating are the same offence, simply cheating.
I will argue again that they are not and require a different, harsher response from Fdev.

The 5/1 engineering exploit allowed commanders to build top end ships with ultra rare buff numbers all within a snippet of the time and material investment needed. But the ships they could ultimately achieve where all possible in game with luck and time invested. (im not justifying the cheat)

The Hack Engines for Elite dangerous however allow commanders to instantly benefit from buffs that are not possible in game. Your ship is performing beyond and outside of game rules and limitations.

One exploits within the games rule set,.... The other Hacks beyond it.

Last edited:
Even with a recording tbh. I had a fight that was streamed on twitch with my fairly strong explorer Krait build on DW2 (DG for him) and used some little known gimbal/range confusion mechanics that befuddled even Harry Potter after which he accused me of cheating, and this build is maybe 1/4 as strong as my bubble Krait! I don't know the first thing about how any of this hack stuff works, but my first reaction was, "why does he immediately go to accusations of cheating?" Is cheating really this prevalent? Having never encountered a cheater (since I PVP rarely), I assumed his initial response to defeat was just ego driven. But after hearing from programmers how easy this is to do, I am really starting to wonder, and now the whole game is tainted. Did I fight cheaters and not realize it? Idk. But the mere thought of it makes me not want to even log in.

Last edited:
They will have proofs.
Again tired voice
We meet in Open... I modify data related to your ship in my ED client memory, to make your ship invulnerable on my client. Then i do plenty of shots to your ship, record video with zero damage, send video to FDev, and they ban you using this video as a solid proof that you made your ship invulnerable.

ED is hardly the first game relying almost exclusively on P2P for its multiplayer component, and although what you describe is technically possible if things are handled wrong, plenty of games deal with cheating just fine regardless. One way of seriously reducing the odds of false positives (or worse yet, forged evidence of cheating) leading to a ban is to rely on more than one report, and to do some simple cross-referencing, using telemetry Frontier hopefully already gather, of past interactions between the various parties to avoid brigading and such.

Mind you, what I'm describing would require a team dedicated to that, but that's a given.

REVERSE CHEATING guys, keep this in mind.
This already occurred in past. And FDev stopped proactively fighting cheaters exactly because of this. It's technically impossible for them to differentiate cheater, and reverse-cheated fair player.

Got a source on that?

ED is hardly the first game relying almost exclusively on P2P for its multiplayer component, and although what you describe is technically possible if things are handled wrong, plenty of games deal with cheating just fine regardless.

Got a source on that?

You must be kidding :D
Przechwytywanie.PNG

A part of me wants the hacking / cheating to stop. The other one kind of whispers into my ear that maybe it should spread? Maybe then FD will open up and start actually repairing bugs and the problems ED has.

I find it quite interesting that these "Elite is being hacked" threads/videos appear literally days after someone wrongfully accused someone else of cheating.

A part of me wants the hacking / cheating to stop. The other one kind of whispers into my ear that maybe it should spread? Maybe then FD will open up and start actually repairing bugs and the problems ED has.

the latter is not going to happen, at least not in this regard.

regarding the former ... i knew of the p2p thing roughly a month after release, and i took cheating for granted since. and i've seen evidence all these years, it never was a secret. it's a pity but that's how it is, i've gotten over this long ago, i'm just curious to see how frontier handles this fallout now. it has come late indeed, didn't expect it anymore, i actually stopped a while ago debating p2p around here, it seemed pointless.

popcorn tanks full.

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP for this very comprehensive post. I wasn't aware that cheating could be such a big thing in this game. OTOH I had a strange PvP experience last week, when a heavy FAS build outran and outboosted my lightweight speed Mamba with maxed out G5 drag dirties. According to the EDCD numbers this should be definitely impossible. So it seems to be a matter of fact that all these cheating claims are the plain truth. What a pity.

I find it quite interesting that these "Elite is being hacked" threads/videos appear literally days after someone wrongfully accused someone else of cheating.

yeah. al capone got busted for tax evasion, and berlusconi for having orgies at home. such is life among humans! 😅

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom