Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have been aware of a "Trainer" for quite some time, when the 32 bit version of Elite was abandoned by FDEV, it took the hackers a long time to make a updated 64 bit version of the trainer. It's out there though and more and more are using it. Personally I have encountered people who rarely come into open and forget they had the "Hacks On" then flick the switch when someone noticed. It's becoming more and more commonplace now.

At first the Premium ammo accusations started flying but then people got to thinking and this explains many a situation.
Nah mate. They had it right away. They just had a tighter knit group using it. Eventually they got tired of it and shared it. Then someone reverse engineered it and added their little touches. Make no mistake though, it's been there.

If the data is unencrypted, what's stopping me from reverse-engineering it and making a Python script on my Raspberry Pi that simulates an invincible Cutter than can jump 500 LY to run PowerPlay cargo 24x7?

Nothing except your own limitations.

But this is my point, as a copy of Elite Dangerous ON A CONSOLE cannot be compromised, thus the only way to cheat* on my platform is to modify the data stream, and decrypting a truly encrypted data stream is not trivial AT ALL.

* I'm not talking about exploits and mode-flipping, but actual "hacking / cheating" as identified by the OP.

Sure it can. Not that difficult to build and successfully emulate a console with a PC. After all consoles are a form of PC.

I was sent a bunch of screen grabs from the chest discord and from the hack utility interface.

Months ago.

Glad this is getting some attention.

Was kinda hoping Ryan M17 might have linked this video in the OP.
Really thorough and respectful analysis of current state of play with Hacks and Frontier’s response.

Frontier, I love this game, I am fond of all of you as devs and as a studio, and I care a lot about the impact these cheaters have on Elite Dangerous. Furthermore, It does seem that these folks have compelling evidence that you are not doing the right thing here. Please take a firmer stance against these cheaters. It is extremely important that you make a statement about this and then follow it through with some firm action.

Please don’t let the actions of these people ruin this great game. We all need some reassurance here, and we look forward to hearing from you on this matter soon.

Fdev sort this out once and for all. If you have known about it and done nothing more shame on you. Now you need to act and prevent something like being used.

And detect which has used it and clear their saves or disable the account

Not defending but if some new mostly harmless player gets ganked by an elite troll (who quite possibly cheated themselves to elite), the frustration may lead to the dark side.

Or that engineering has created such an imbalance with builds.

Nah mate. They had it right away. They just had a tighter knit group using it. Eventually they got tired of it and shared it. Then someone reverse engineered it and added their little touches. Make no mistake though, it's been there.

I while back I rammed a wanted Cobra with my Cutter and basically ended up shieldless and with lots of hull damage. The other guy said "not what you were expecting is it???"

Makes sense now.

I while back I rammed a wanted Cobra with my Cutter and basically ended up shieldless and with lots of hull damage. The other guy said "not what you were expecting is it???"

Makes sense now.
More than once I've had a guy come over the comms as soon as I entered a system, and suddenly he's right behind me as if he magically knew I was there and had the ability to jump to SC and be on my tail. Then he says "good job, I found you".

Sure it can. Not that difficult to build and successfully emulate a console with a PC. After all consoles are a form of PC.
Really... Then why is everyone complaining that RDR2 is a console-only game, if they can just run it on a PS4 emulator? I think you confuse running old Nintendo ROMs on PC with running the latest console games on PC. But feel free to prove me wrong with a link to this emulator that allows a PC to play PS4 titles.

XB1 doesn't count since Microsoft already provides this service. Wait... So why is everyone on PC complaining about not having RDR2? Maybe I misunderstand this "play everywhere" XBox service I've heard about.

EDIT: mis-posted in the wrong thread, leaving a link since the content is relevant to this thread too though.

Last edited:
Youtube videos are representative of what happened from one perspective, not all perspectives. It's entirely possible that FDev's spaghetti netcode just genuinely resulted in no damage being calculated on one side. We've all seen ships vanish from instances with no wake marker, right?

That being said, if I pull a Conda and shoot it with 3 friends for 5 minutes, it's not unreasonable to expect it to lose shields. If it doesn't lose shields, that is suspicious enough to warrant a report to FDev to have them check it out. I assume that they have logs and other information not available to me that they can use to see whether it was legit or not. That's what I'm talking about.

There's one simple reason to not rely solely on videos.

If I can manipulate my weapon damage, I could just set it to 0.1 or something and go out and shoot some ships. Then I can accuse literally anyone for not losing shields/hull integrity.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom