Ships Cobra Mk IV Owners Club

A question to the Cobra Mk IV explorers:

What you do put into the fourth C4 internal slot for exploring?

4) Fuel Scoop 4 (no-brainer)
4) Guardian FSD Boost
4) Hangar with 2 SRV (nice to have)
4) ???
3) Shield
3) AFM
2) Surface Scanner
2) Discovery Scanner

Mostly meant for Guardian site farming. I've recently been there with my Asp, which has one SRV. Not that the SRV was *really* in danger, but having a second one out there would give my mind some peace. So I looked at various ship options and came up with the Cobra Mk IV, which now offers more slots than I really need. :)
Not sure if you need some cargo for Guardian sites. That may be an option, but possibily wasted?

In general I'd prefer the Cobra Mk III just for its superior speed, but that has exactly one C4 internal slot too less for the task... See Agony Aunts evaluation above.

Nice little ship. Admittedly, never made much use of it in the past, besides smuggling. But it might look useful for a medium-range (~1.000-2.000 ly) explorer. I'd still prefer my Asp for longer distances.

You will probably not need the AFMU when heading out to the Guardian sites, as the flight isn't too long out there. In my Cobra IV, I have a cargo hold and a collector limpet controller, otherwise, the build is similar to yours. The ship also works well for USS pickups.

4) Guardian FSD Boost
4) ???
3) Shield
3) AFM
2) Surface Scanner
2) Discovery Scanner

Mostly meant for Guardian site farming. I've recently been there with my Asp, which has one SRV. Not that the SRV was *really* in danger, but having a second one out there would give my mind some peace. So I looked at various ship options and came up with the Cobra Mk IV, which now offers more slots than I really need. :)
Not sure if you need some cargo for Guardian sites. That may be an option, but possibily wasted?

In general I'd prefer the Cobra Mk III just for its superior speed, but that has exactly one C4 internal slot too less for the task... See Agony Aunts evaluation above.

Nice little ship. Admittedly, never made much use of it in the past, besides smuggling. But it might look useful for a medium-range (~1.000-2.000 ly) explorer. I'd still prefer my Asp for longer distances.

I often put an extra fuel tank in there. My old exploration ship would have 350ly range before needing fuel (without jumponium or neutron boosts)
With the Guardian FSD booster it goes 460+ly and thats not even really 'optimised' for travel...

For longer more risky journeys I would fit the AFM in the four slot and a fuel tank or extra cargo depending on the nature of my trip in the then spare 3

4) Guardian FSD Boost
4) ???
3) Shield
3) AFM
2) Surface Scanner
2) Discovery Scanner

I have updated the list how I'd do it. :)

4) Guardian FSD Boost
4) AFMU
4) 4A Shield
3) 1 SRV
3) Cargo rack
2) Surface Scanner
2) Discovery Scanner

However, the CM4 is not ideal for Guardian farming as utility mounts are at the bottom, so I guess point defense can't support against Guardian missiles.
My Guardian-touring ship is the FDL, now at 35ly jump range thanks to a lvl5 booster. :)

Thanks for the answers.

Huh, point defense helps against those Guardian drones? Didn't know that. Been out there a few days ago for the first time, managed the drones with the SRV alone. You learn something new each day... :)
Good point with the bottom location.

My choice for the CM4 as Guardian farming ship was purely based on internal slots, just because getting *two* SRVs and my new Guardian FSD Boost into the Asp doesn't work out.
Hangar with 2 SRVs was one of my original requirements, but if the Point Defense turrets shoot down the drones, that actually may be overkill. That may actually bring the Asp Explorer back on the table.
So many decisions... :)

@AFMU: I have that in almost every ship. Hardly ever need it, but the few times I needed it I was glad I had it.

Last edited:
Or, put a corrosion-resistant cargo rack in the size 4 optional slot. Never know what you might come across.

I found that the Guardian Sentinel missiles aren't really a big problem as long as you put full pips into SYS once you hear the missile launch warning. When your SRV's shields are at full strength you don't get flung around and will stay safely on the ground. SRV hull damage is negligible. After the missile barrage is over, just put the pips back to your guns and blast it.

Thanks for the answers.

Huh, point defense helps against those Guardian drones? Didn't know that. Been out there a few days ago for the first time, managed the drones with the SRV alone. You learn something new each day... :)
Good point with the bottom location.

My choice for the CM4 as Guardian farming ship was purely based on internal slots, just because getting *two* SRVs and my new Guardian FSD Boost into the Asp doesn't work out.
Hangar with 2 SRVs was one of my original requirements, but if the Point Defense turrets shoot down the drones, that actually may be overkill. That may actually bring the Asp Explorer back on the table.
So many decisions... :)

@AFMU: I have that in almost every ship. Hardly ever need it, but the few times I needed it I was glad I had it.

Point defense only shoots at the missiles, not the drones themselves. But that alone makes taking care of them quite easy.

4) Guardian FSD Boost
4) ???
3) Shield
3) AFM
2) Surface Scanner
2) Discovery Scanner

I'd prefer the Mk III too had it not been for the lack of internals.

Anyway, instead of the G-booster and the questionmarks I'd put in a cargo rack and limpet ctrl (repair). Though this is a build for the DW2 later on. The repair limpets can fix up your own hull too, should it be necessary. With sloppy landings and a weak shield I tend to mess the hull up when I lack concentration. For me, a cargo rack is essential, if not for the lingering hope of finding smth unusual to bring back in glory, I need it for my whisky/geuze supply!

Though the extra jump-boost is worthy of consideration ofc, decisions, decisions...

Just started using my main account again, and Edsel the Cobra 4 is back. He may make a run to Colonia, as the Cobra 4 has interchangeability with most of the modules out there. All those internal slots make it perfect for a mini-Python role out there. Edsel is already fully engineered, A-rated, and bored... :)

Just checked on the first leg to Colonia. It will take 269 jumps for Edsel to make it to Rohini, from Borscht. Call it ten hours, or more, of realtime to fly it. Rohini has the first shipyard on the way there. About one-third of the trip.

With the usual diversions, it could take two weeks of realtime, as I might land, and explore a bit, should I try this. The huge number of internal slots make surface exploration more practical, than a Cobra 3, for example.

Edsel, with a 2G SRV, 4A scoop, ADS/DSS, full armor and weapons, will jump about thirty light-years. Edsel is fully A-rated, and engineered, with 32 tons of cargo capacity. *Massive* engine/heat absorption capacity, and a huge distributor. Perfect for mining. I have not yet decided to install the drones, and refinery. I have not needed them on my other trips to Colonia, and, with delivery costs, it's cheaper to buy them there.

My T-6, Mootilda, has a forty-two light year range, unladen. It also can go straight to work in Colonia, as the T-6 is also a wonderfully versatile ship. But, it only has two small weapons mounts, and is not as combat survivable as the Cobra.

It might be simpler to fly the Asp Explorer, and transfer the ships. Hideously expensive. I just did that with the alt account, and now I have the Asp Explorer, a Python, and a Cobra 3 at Tir. Cost about 120 million. They are all engineered.

If Frontier makes the bubble less attractive, both accounts might be in Colonia. The CG's for this week are one example of why I find this might be the case.

Back on topic: However the Cobra 4 gets to Colonia, it will still be useful there. It's a matter of just how valuable the time is to me.

Top Bottom