Ships Cobra Mk IV Owners Club

Nice idea.... but it does involve a 4 week PP pledge.... maybe ill consider it later.

Did the pledge a while ago and stockpiled the cryto's..... here's my actual build of a hull tanked shieldless piracy cobra mk IV... https://s.orbis.zone/HT_DjLR4

Power management is somewhat of an issue for the FSD, otherwise this seems to work fairly well against larger slow targets that have shields you want to strip away and scare them into giving you cargo. It does not work well for PvP 1 v 1.... tried last night and failed against a FAS, escaping with but 1% hull.

I love my little Mk4 it sounds better than the Mk3, though I don't really use it for much, it's great to jump into and go planet hopping, and searching around, once exploration gets it's buff by Q4 i feel the Cobby Mk4 will come of age once more in to broad lit up lands, well you hopefully get what I mean.

just wish Devs would give it a raider kit or some attention, I understand it was an exclusive ship for those of us who got horizons, so how about giving the Mk4 the much deserved buff.

Perhaps an appeal to the devs, but who can we email direct about it any suggestions, i'll sign it...:)

Nah! Just another FOTM ship for a while until they get bored with it :) Cob IV will last!

I love my new Krait. Definitely not FOTM for me. That said it will not be replacing my Cobra4. Roles are entirely different. If anything, my Gunship will be taking a back seat a while.

The Mk4 if anything is more relevant than before, now that Guardian FSD boosters occupy yet another slot.

I love my new Krait. Definitely not FOTM for me. That said it will not be replacing my Cobra4. Roles are entirely different. If anything, my Gunship will be taking a back seat a while.

I thought the Challenger is the Gunship competitor.
Krait looks like a decent design, I just don't like this mania surrounding it. If/when the dust settles, I will take a closer look.

I thought the Challenger is the Gunship competitor.
Krait looks like a decent design, I just don't like this mania surrounding it. If/when the dust settles, I will take a closer look.
Challenger = Chieftain reworked into a Combat ship with a spare universal slot (5+4 traded for 6+2x3 and 1 L traded for 2 M)
Krait = Python alternative with SLF capability

Neither are likely to change the positioning nor significance of the Mk IV.

The Mk4 if anything is more relevant than before, now that Guardian FSD boosters occupy yet another slot.

Ack, yes. I planned to take the CM3 with me on Distant Worlds 2. However, new module options (potentially new stuff in Q4) and the new booster is making me think whether a CM4 might be preferrable.

The CM3 can still edge out the CM4 in range with a size 2 guardian booster even if the CM4 has a size 4, but its a close thing (although might need to actually test in game to really check the numbers). I could get more with a size 4 booster in the CM3, but that means either going down to size 2 with the fuel scoop (which would be horrible considering the extra fuel usage) or a size 2 SRV bay, which means only 1 SRV on the trip. Unfortunately no option for size 2 shield on the CM3. Of course, could run shieldless... but i'm not that crazy.

So, the other option is go with CM4 for greater flexibity in modules and have a similar jump range to the Mk3.....

Decisions, decisions....

EDIT: actually, looking at the numbers again on coriolis and it looks like i might get better with the CM4 regardless and even be able to drop in an extra fuel tank allowing more jumps...

Argh! What a nightmare.

If only FD would release a ship kit for the CM4 my decision would be made for me!

Last edited:
Ack, yes. I planned to take the CM3 with me on Distant Worlds 2. However, new module options (potentially new stuff in Q4) and the new booster is making me think whether a CM4 might be preferrable.

The CM3 can still edge out the CM4 in range with a size 2 guardian booster even if the CM4 has a size 4, but its a close thing (although might need to actually test in game to really check the numbers). I could get more with a size 4 booster in the CM3, but that means either going down to size 2 with the fuel scoop (which would be horrible considering the extra fuel usage) or a size 2 SRV bay, which means only 1 SRV on the trip. Unfortunately no option for size 2 shield on the CM3. Of course, could run shieldless... but i'm not that crazy.

So, the other option is go with CM4 for greater flexibity in modules and have a similar jump range to the Mk3.....

Decisions, decisions....

EDIT: actually, looking at the numbers again on coriolis and it looks like i might get better with the CM4 regardless and even be able to drop in an extra fuel tank allowing more jumps...

Argh! What a nightmare.

If only FD would release a ship kit for the CM4 my decision would be made for me!

There are a number of ships I was exploring with that have 5 internals - now the bare minimum is 6 with the Guardian FSD boosters.
Even though that should make me also consider the CM4 for DW2 (which I did), ironically the FSD booster assures the position of the Corvette for now - I can now give a flying biowaste on weight as fully kitted and armed it jumps 30ly, there is little incentive to drop 5-10t modules to gain a few tenth of jumprange, so I can bring fighters, SRVs, AFMUs, limpets, mining kit and heck, why not fully armed. :)

Here, you dropped this ---> ?

:D

As i recall, there were a couple of Corvettes on Distant Worlds 1.

Yeah, the question mark is valid. :)

There was a single Corvette on DW, fighting through with 19ly jumprange if I recall correctly. On DW2 there are fourty-something - whcih sounds a lot, but next to 1200 or so Anacondas it is less than 2% of the fleet. I do wonder about the drop-off ratio during the expedition.

Edit.: On topic there was a Cobra Mk4 too, Racer1 flew it. That was the time when I decided to buy one after I return. It was one of the best decision I made --> 0% paint on the Mk4 flown in/around the bubble is a proof of its toughness and usefulness. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, the question mark is valid. :)

There was a single Corvette on DW, fighting through with 19ly jumprange if I recall correctly. On DW2 there are fourty-something - whcih sounds a lot, but next to 1200 or so Anacondas it is less than 2% of the fleet. I do wonder about the drop-off ratio during the expedition.

Edit.: On topic there was a Cobra Mk4 too, Racer1 flew it. That was the time when I decided to buy one after I return. It was one of the best decision I made --> 0% paint on the Mk4 flown in/around the bubble is a proof of its toughness and usefulness. :)

Yeah, i remember the CM4.

I guess we will see more of all types of ships this time around considering the creep in FSD range due to Engineers 2.0 and Guardian modules.

Remember back before engineers when a CM3 was a decent jumper with a range of 25LY. Now ranges in excess of 45LY are possible for the CM3. Then you have ships like the Asp that have gone from 30LY to 60, effectively doubling their range and halving the jumps required.

One has to wonder how much more creep we will get with this in the coming years.

Last edited:
I came little late to the party to get the Cobra Mk4. Would love to have have a pirate Cobra MK4, maybe someday FD guys will decide to release the ship for general public. Yeah, a new small ship, why the hell not? In the era of "anacondism" releasing a new small ship would sound like a joke to many...

Yeah, i remember the CM4.

I guess we will see more of all types of ships this time around considering the creep in FSD range due to Engineers 2.0 and Guardian modules.

Remember back before engineers when a CM3 was a decent jumper with a range of 25LY. Now ranges in excess of 45LY are possible for the CM3. Then you have ships like the Asp that have gone from 30LY to 60, effectively doubling their range and halving the jumps required.

One has to wonder how much more creep we will get with this in the coming years.

Mine was the sole Keelback (23ly) in the DW fleet, though I really didn't travel with it, went ahead fearing I can't keep up. But I was there at the BP ceremonies.
My second long distance exploration ship was the FDL with 23ly as well, arrived at BP exactly when the last WP at Mitterrand Hollow was celebrated. Then the last longer trip I took in the Corvette -you can guess- about 23-25ly jumprange (flew to Colonia fully armed :) ).

So yeah, I felt like traveling in such ships so that the Galaxy would feel as big as it used to. But, to be honest, it will be nice being closer to 30ly range on DW2.
I think there are only 5 CM4s in the DW2 fleet, it would be nice to see more... ;)

Edit: Though I admit I'm planning to build a Colonia Express DBX. :)

Last edited:
Hmm... did initial part of the build for a CM4 explorer with a size 4 FSD booster. So far it looks like the CM3 with a size 2 booster still edges it out on range by about 1 LY, possibly a bit less when i finish tweaking. However, there is still the matter of more internals on the CM4 making it more flexible.

Going to think on this a bit more, its a tricky one.

The other option is to replace the size 4 planetary hanginger in the CM4 for a size 2 and then stick a size 4 booster in it. That's a few extra LY, but means if i lose the only SRV then i'm boned for planetary work. On DW1 i had 4 SRVs so i was never worried about accidents.

Hmm... did initial part of the build for a CM4 explorer with a size 4 FSD booster. So far it looks like the CM3 with a size 2 booster still edges it out on range by about 1 LY, possibly a bit less when i finish tweaking. However, there is still the matter of more internals on the CM4 making it more flexible.

The other option is to replace the size 4 planetary hanginger in the CM4 for a size 2 and then stick a size 4 booster in it. That's a few extra LY, but means if i lose the only SRV then i'm boned for planetary work. On DW1 i had 4 SRVs so i was never worried about accidents.

I much prefer the MK IV over the III for exploration simply because of the internal options available. The slight increase in jump with the MK III isn't worth it IMO.

I much prefer the MK IV over the III for exploration simply because of the internal options available. The slight increase in jump with the MK III isn't worth it IMO.
Yes when packing for an exploration trip the more options the better, I dont want to compromise, there is a minimum build I like that just about fits in a CM4. A little engineers pixie dust and it works. Its no Asp X or Jumpaconda but it works for the jaunts to the Guardian sites and such.

SRVs will be probably a non issue because of the squadron carrier(s).
Otherwise it is easy to survive with a single SRV - unless space madness kicks in at meetings. :)

Top Bottom