Ships Cobra MKIV availability and the New Krait and Panther Clipper.

This is for the wonderful people over at Frontier Development. I was wondering what it would take to get the Cobra MK IV made available to all players now. I only discovered and started playing this game 6 months ago and fell in love with it. I now own 98 ships all scattered around the bubble. (will be 100 once the Krait and Panther Clipper are released) I have fleets created for each Faction and Super Power and each serves a specific purpose. I have it all from Sidewinder to Cutter. All I am missing is the Cobra MK IV. I would be willing to pay real money for it. If it can't be made available for free, maybe it could be offered as a Livery item to unlock. I would jump on it in a heart beat. MORE MONEY FOR YOU! Its a win win.

While i'm here...Any update as to when the Krait and panther clipper are going to be released?

Thanks FD.
I love the game.

Cmdr Serenity03

Last edited:
Krait, if we're lucky with patch 3.1
Panther ? Total silence, no ETA, nothing ever since early concepts and an ominous picture when Horizons launched. Personally the ship I'm waiting for most.
Cobra IV, yes, make it available to everyone already.

I'm another looking for the elusive cobra MK4, eddb etc show it's available at certain locations, when you go there you end up only seeing the MK3 :(
I own horizons, is this not enough???

From what I remember the Cobra Mk4 was offered as a Horizons pre-order only. And this is why it can’t be offered to anyone else.
But, I think it’s reasonable to offer it once again for new players who missed out the first time. Perhaps as a reward for purchasing the new paid for content this year ?

Flimley

Last edited:
Or buy a C4 skin and hull kit and get access to buy the ship, I've never had any issues with newer players buying the ship it's not as if it's a game changer after all.

I believe the hype over the Panther Clipper has become so high that Frontier won’t dare release it...

...you all know they’ll mess it up. :)

I do reckon Frontier would make a very solid fortune if they sold a limited edition ship in the store every few months.

...Vulture Mk2. :D

(...with 2x huge hardpoints)

Last edited:
I believe the hype over the Panther Clipper has become so high that Frontier won’t dare release it...

I do reckon Frontier would make a very solid fortune if they sold a limited edition ship in the store every few months.

And a class 3 power plant perhaps! ;)

I'm not sure if you could fit a pair of huge hardpoints on a small pad ship and still have room for everything else a combat ship would need. The "Super Vulture" would probably need a medium pad ship in order to have enough room for it's larger thrusters, distro, shield, etc....

That said, where can i get one?

Good luck on the campaign for the cobra mkIV.
It was previously only available to commanders who pre-ordered Horizons on PC and Xbox.

If you are a PS4 player, you have never had a chance to buy it.

The request comes up on a reasonably regular basis. There is even a thread still active in the PS4 sub forum still campaigning for it.

The various threads that have been put into the Dangerous discussion sub forum have usually descended into some long term PC players calling each other names and getting the thread locked.

You mean the Panther Clipper is Half Live 3? :D

I still think that it is possible that the Krait get these. It doesn't make any sense, as it is speciallised on multicrew with these 3 Cockpits, but still... I don't know, just a feeling.

I support the idea of it being made available to everyone, even if that means selling access to it in the store.

Unfortunately, yes. The Panther Clipper was the best ship in FE2, with massive internal capacity for cargo, weapons, shields, you name it. In ED it would be like having a single ship that filled the roles of the vette, cutter, and conda, being able to shield tank everything that is thrown at it while gunning down everything in its way and hauling a few hundred tons of cargo. It would be utterly RIDICULOUS.

The way I see it, the best way FDev could implement the Panther Clipper would be as a heavily armed and armoured/shielded trader that is forced to rely on turreted weapons to do ANY meaningful amount of damage. Hardpoint placement should be optimized for fields of fire rather than convergence, and the ship should be really slow and sluggish to the point where gimballed weapons are mostly useless. Because of it's heavy reliance on turrets, the Panther Clipper would not need a huge hardpoint, and small hardpoints would be almost meaningless with how low the DPS of small turrets is. Therefore, the Panther Clipper would get lots of large and medium hardpoints (4 of each maybe?) with terrible convergence but excellent fields of fire.

Of course, everyone else probably has their own opinion of how the Panther Clipper should be implemented, so we will likely never get it. If only we could all agree on what exactly the Panther Clipper should be....

Unfortunately, yes. The Panther Clipper was the best ship in FE2, with massive internal capacity for cargo, weapons, shields, you name it. In ED it would be like having a single ship that filled the roles of the vette, cutter, and conda, being able to shield tank everything that is thrown at it while gunning down everything in its way and hauling a few hundred tons of cargo. It would be utterly RIDICULOUS.

The way I see it, the best way FDev could implement the Panther Clipper would be as a heavily armed and armoured/shielded trader that is forced to rely on turreted weapons to do ANY meaningful amount of damage. Hardpoint placement should be optimized for fields of fire rather than convergence, and the ship should be really slow and sluggish to the point where gimballed weapons are mostly useless. Because of it's heavy reliance on turrets, the Panther Clipper would not need a huge hardpoint, and small hardpoints would be almost meaningless with how low the DPS of small turrets is. Therefore, the Panther Clipper would get lots of large and medium hardpoints (4 of each maybe?) with terrible convergence but excellent fields of fire.

Of course, everyone else probably has their own opinion of how the Panther Clipper should be implemented, so we will likely never get it. If only we could all agree on what exactly the Panther Clipper should be....

I would like it like that :)

This is for the wonderful people over at Frontier Development. I was wondering what it would take to get the Cobra MK IV made available to all players now. I only discovered and started playing this game 6 months ago and fell in love with it. I now own 98 ships all scattered around the bubble. (will be 100 once the Krait and Panther Clipper are released) I have fleets created for each Faction and Super Power and each serves a specific purpose. I have it all from Sidewinder to Cutter. All I am missing is the Cobra MK IV. I would be willing to pay real money for it. If it can't be made available for free, maybe it could be offered as a Livery item to unlock. I would jump on it in a heart beat. MORE MONEY FOR YOU! Its a win win.

While i'm here...Any update as to when the Krait and panther clipper are going to be released?

Thanks FD.
I love the game.

Cmdr Serenity03

https://inara.cz/cmdr/100515

98 ships in 6 months? How is this even possible? Are they all Sidewinders?
Otherwise it definitely is too easy to make money in Elite now.
Anyhow...

I think paying real money for ships should never happen.
I think FDev could add the Cobra IV to a new paid expansion.

Krait will most likely be added with the next update. Have you not seen the teaser trailer?

The Panther Clipper is still a mystery. I hope that it takes this long because FDev is planning to add a new type of docking mechanic for the Panther Clipper.
I believe that ship deserves it, because it should be the biggest player controlled ship in the game. In FE2 it was the king of all ships, a huge flying fortress.
I hope the Panther Clipper will be the first in a new class of 'huge' ships.
If it is just another big ship then there is no real point in adding it.
A new 'huge class' (perhaps 25% more capacity than the current big class) might get a new external docking mechanism and perhaps it could get an onboard shuttle transport craft (Braben mentioned shuttles in an interview).
But this is all extreme conjecture on my part of course, and mostly based on wishful thinking.

Last edited:

It should just be a bigger, slower version of the Type 10.

Top Bottom