Colonia bound: mixed bag of questions

I’ve unlocked Etienne Dorn, so I’m on my way to Colonia in my slightly mis-configured Anaconda to work on getting G5 sensors. It will likely take me a few weeks to get there, and I plan on spending some time (a few weeks?) in that area when I arrive. I’ll have to ’level up’ my engineer friend which (I understand) involves collecting corpsicles, so that will take me at least a little while ;)

I have a few random questions to folks who’ve made this trip in the past:
  1. I’m following the Colonia Connection Highway: is this a bad idea?
    • I thought jumping between these waystations would give me a nice way to progress, but the first system I landed in (Mammon) seemed to have a few more pirate NPCs than I’d normally like to see... so now I’m wondering if this is a mistake. 1/20th of the trip isn’t much to go on, though ;)
  2. Are there any ‘must see’ sights along the way to Colonia?
  3. Are there any bad or dangerous sections e.g.: long sprint of unscoopable stars; masses of Thargoids; space-dragons?
  4. Is there a private ‘no combat’ explorers group with Xbox commanders that I might join?
    • I figure it might be nice from time to time to have some human voices or ships to encounter and/or chat with on Discord or whatever voice chat system the cool kids use these days; maybe even someone with a fleet carrier I could bump into
  5. Is there anything immediately around Colonia to do that is particularly ‘not to be missed’
    • E.g.: I understood there are some missions and such, maybe some commodity trading... anything else?
Thanks in advance!

Hey there. I’ll try to help:

The Colonia Highway is a fun way to break up the monotony of the trip. The stations are quite scenic, and you can do “layovers” to run missions or go bounty hunting. The systems are no more dangerous than anywhere else.

If you are just concerned with getting to Colonia as fast as possible, I would suggest the “Neutron Highway.” Google it.

For sightseeing, consult the map at EDSM.net

There are no explicit dangers, but obviously be careful not to take too much damage as you may find yourself hundreds if not thousands of lightyears from the nearest station. Doubly so if you take the Neutron Highway. Don’t get sloppy.

To be honest, there isn’t much you can do in Colonia that you can’t do in the Bubble. The missions and trading are the same. There is no Thargoid or Guardian content and... less stuff in general. But it’s quaint and I like the frontier vibe.

I also suggest unlocking the other three Colonia engineers before you visit. Some have blueprints that are better than their Bubble counterparts. Pin your favorites before you leave.

If you’re looking for fellow explorers, I suggest looking up FleetCom. I’m a member. We’re cross-platform and our Xbox squadron is the biggest exploration outfit on that system. We’re the organizers of many expeditions, including the famous Distant Worlds and Deep Space Support Array.

Combat is something of a grey area. Officially we are peaceful explorers and our Private Group has a strict non-PvP policy. But many of us also fly in Open, which obviously blurs things.

Here is our discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/0hKG2qb9ODixa7Iz

o7

If you want to take the station-to-station route, I'd suggest that you drop below the galactic plane at least a few hundred Ly's each time you leave a station, so you can walk a less-trodden path. Happy travelling!

Thank you folks for all your replies! Thanks in particular to don carnage1- some excellent tips and guidance, and I'll definitely be investigating Fleetcom.

I apologize for the delay in getting back here: my laptop croaked just after I made my initial post, and I've been using other computers to try to keep up... not very well, apparently.

I've started down the Colonia Connection Highway: about halfway at the moment, and Gandharvi is my next stop. So far it has been a smooth journey (other than the first day around Mammon!). I have a few 'first discoveries', but because I've been following the well-trodden path I'm not getting much. That's okay for me- I'm struggling a bit with my physical setup (flakey but brand-new Thrustmaster T-Flight... not impressed), so it is all an opportunity to dial things in a bit. But with the good advice in this thread I'll probably see what can be found a bit off the path ;)

There are four engineers in Colonia all worth unlocking and pinning a blueprint. At colonia it is also worth fully G5 engineering some modules for what you were not able to pin for later shipping back to the bubble for other ships. (only one blueprint per engineer). Unforunatly you already left the bubble. These are good to have ready for unlock when you get to Colonia.

Mel Brandon - you need to have Elvira Martuuk G3 first, which is pretty easy. Just travel 300 Ly from your start position.
Marsha Hicks - you must unlock the Dweller G3 first. Dweller is super easy, deal with 5 black markets.
Petra Olmanova - you must unlock Tod the Blaster Mcquinn G3 first. Bounty vouchers, not too tough.
Ettenne Dorn - you must unlock Liz Ryder G3 first.

Safe Journey, have fun!

Thanks, Greasetrap42! Yeah, I went off a bit 'half-cocked': the travel bug bit me :) Also I really don't like engineering very much and felt antsy to get it over with. I wanted to get my Anaconda's sensors on a weight reduction program, though: Grade 3 isn't good enough, and I didn't want to do combat missions, so Etienne Dorn was the one I unlocked.

I expect I'll go out to Colonia again some day so... lesson learned about the other engineers out that way. My rough plan for this journey, assuming I don't go nuts, is to carry on to Sag A* after I finish in Colonia, then back to the bubble. I expect this will take me nearly to Christmas... or at least until Cyberpunk 2077 becomes reality ;)

Top Bottom