explore outside the bubble and pick a planet
With the credits most of us have we could buy any planet in the bubble. Or even a star system.

Like an FC but not moveable?
yeah, a lot like that. This could also be used to launch a better crew system so the playerbase could have a crew on board to handle various functions.
How much bases upkeep cost will be?🤔

In ED style it could be:
  • network of building engineers who create "blueprints"
  • each "blueprint" has own requirements; getting of them are separate game loops
  • one blueprint for each module (even for already "known")
  • cosmetics: different colors etc including garden gnomes.

But that's just different shapes and sizes, we already have that. What use is adding one more shape or size variant? When they added a load of useless Alliance ships it was just for the sake of a new shape aesthetic. Then more Thargoid ships like are appearing right now, just variants on the old ones (and not player-flyable). The Panther Clipper is just a Fleet Carrier really, since it would not be dockable and you'd need to use a Python or something to shuttle cargo, as for a FC.
I would instantly take a mini-carrier if you actually owned it and didn't have the atrocity of the FC's subscription-based model.
Also if you could actually fly it around yourself and move it within the system... I'd be more 'worried' that it obsoletes the FC, not the other way round.

Honestly, allowing players to set up a little outpost where they can store stuff would make a big difference in terms of ease of use. It's silly that one of the biggest benefits of owning a fleet carrier is that you can stockpile commodities. I'd 100% support allowing players to build little storage bases wherever they want, that only they can see.

As for colonization, there's no point at the moment. They need there to be a reason to want new inhabited systems first, and they should be excessively expensive to do.

Honestly, allowing players to set up a little outpost where they can store stuff would make a big difference in terms of ease of use. It's silly that one of the biggest benefits of owning a fleet carrier is that you can stockpile commodities. I'd 100% support allowing players to build little storage bases wherever they want, that only they can see.
That's what a Fleet Carrier is. And, as a bonus - it can be moved.

I've raided so many smugglers' caches that I wouldn't want one of my own to be broken into and all my stuff stolen.

I would instantly take a mini-carrier if you actually owned it and didn't have the atrocity of the FC's subscription-based model.
You pay upkeep on a Fleet Carrier, which is why it costs more the more you do with it. Not the same as a subscription.
A mini-carrier would also require upkeep. Heck, even our ships have to pay to keep restoring "integrity" lost each time they supercruise.

But that's just different shapes and sizes, we already have that. What use is adding one more shape or size variant? When they added a load of useless Alliance ships it was just for the sake of a new shape aesthetic. Then more Thargoid ships like are appearing right now, just variants on the old ones (and not player-flyable). The Panther Clipper is just a Fleet Carrier really, since it would not be dockable and you'd need to use a Python or something to shuttle cargo, as for a FC.

No. I explicitly said new ships that add something unique to the mix. A Panther clipper, a ship you actually own and fly - a fleet carrier is neither of these things - and can dock smaller ships would be something I'd rush to buy, if it ever made it in game.

I like the concept of player-assisted expansion into the galaxy, but really don't see any viable way of adding the type of base-building addition most people describe in these threads without some major architectural reworking - and I don't know that FDev is willing to do that. To answer the OP's actual question, not until DLC4 or 5 at the earliest, assuming those are ever developed, and I doubt what shows up is what people think they'd get. It would certainly be a polarizing addition, even if it were excellent and completely balanced with the rest of the game, simply because so many people have created such wildly different visions of what base building should be to them. Someone's going to get disappointed, no matter what FDev do or don't do.

(The earlier suggestion about it being a tie-in to a new title, though, is pretty inspired and I like that idea a lot.)

You pay upkeep on a Fleet Carrier, which is why it costs more the more you do with it. Not the same as a subscription.
A mini-carrier would also require upkeep. Heck, even our ships have to pay to keep restoring "integrity" lost each time they supercruise.
By "subscription" I meant that you have to pay a weekly fee, regardless if you used the carrier or were even logged into the game.
All other ships have upkeep costs that depend on how you use those ships (and if you don't use a ship, it doesn't cost you). Integrity is being lost through supercruise travel, for example, and it's proportional to how far you actually traveled. Crew members take a cut of income, don't take anything that would financially ruin you and don't cost you while you don't play the game. That's how I'd expect the panther clipper to work as well.
And - to be more on topic - that's also how I'd hope any form of stationary outpost would work. If those things cost credits while I'm on hiatus then FDev can save themselves the resources for developing them, as far as I'm concerned, because I'm not gonna use them.

By "subscription" I meant that you have to pay a weekly fee, regardless if you used the carrier or were even logged into the game.
All other ships have upkeep costs that depend on how you use those ships (and if you don't use a ship, it doesn't cost you). Integrity is being lost through supercruise travel, for example, and it's proportional to how far you actually traveled. Crew members take a cut of income, don't take anything that would financially ruin you and don't cost you while you don't play the game. That's how I'd expect the panther clipper to work as well.
And - to be more on topic - that's also how I'd hope any form of stationary outpost would work. If those things cost credits while I'm on hiatus then FDev can save themselves the resources for developing them, as far as I'm concerned, because I'm not gonna use them.
That's because when you're not using your ship, there's no wear and tear, depreciation etc - it's usually parked up in someone's hangar.

A fleet carrier is "always on", persistent in game (much to some people's chagrin) hanging about in a system when you're not logged in and ostensibly usable by other CMDRs who have their assets aboard.

Like a base, in fact.

Panther Clippers are so 3250. Yesterday's ship. I need to move tens of thousands of tons of cargo at once for any decent sale = FC.

I think there’s still plenty of room for a ship class that sits between the big 3 and fleet carriers. I’d love a ship that could refuel at a star, but could also carry a small ship or two, either “under wing attachment” or in a mini-hanger. This would open up new opportunities for exploration and hauling/mining, and I can also imagine some fun combat scenarios involving multi-player.

Top Bottom