There's an old saying: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Anything after that is deliberate." If you regularly lose your connection, then either you're pulling the plug deliberately, or you're so inconsiderate that you're inflicting your cruddy ISP on the rest of us. Either way, I have no sympathy for you.

Personally, I hope Frontier simply ties in combat logging into the Karma system, along with all the jerkish behavior. Do it often enough, and you'll gradually lose station privaleges and safe passage through systems, first from high security systems, then from the mediums, until only Anarchy systems remain. As long as Karma decays over time, preferably while playing in open, then those genuinely suffering internet problems won't be penalized along side the chronic jerks.

Deleted member 115407

D
Or just add a PvP consent tick box upon login, and have it set for the duration of their session. If they want to change their PvP consent status, they log out, and back in. Different colors in the HUD for consent status, and anyone who is not consenting to PvP takes no player damage, and can not deal damage to other players. To make it a bit more robust, have the match making server group players based on their consent status when they log in to minimize instances with PvP consenting players along side PvP non consenting.

You know... I wasn't sold at first until you talked about the matchmaking, which is a damn interesting idea. As a matter of fact, at face value it's kind of a win-win for everyone.

So, I just looked through 10 pages of history and i can't find my CLogging Fix.

So I'm typing it, again. (This is probably why I can never find it, it's not one of my threads... Lol)

A tagging system.
When you enter any form of danger (anything that requires the 15 second timer to legally exit the game), a "tag" is placed on your save, which contains some information.
When you leave danger, the tag is removed. You'd be none the wiser.

If you illegally combat log, or have a CTD, server error, etc, while in danger, the tag would not be removed.

This tag is then read when loading the game, and using the information it stored, will only allow you to re-enter your previous mode for a limited time.

I particularly like this idea, because if you're just going about your business and suffer a server failure or CTD while in danger, you simply reload the game and continue as normal, in your previous mode, which we all do anyway.

But if you're intentionally combat logging in PvP, your only options are to rejoin the same mode, where your opponent may be waiting. Or don't play at all.

No one is ever barred entirely from the game, and accidental disconnects are not punished.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Give it a few weeks, and I'll be looking for this post again. :p

Alas, I cannot give you more rep at this time.

So have a virtual +1 from me instead.

You know... I wasn't sold at first until you talked about the matchmaking, which is a damn interesting idea. As a matter of fact, at face value it's kind of a win-win for everyone.

Honestly, I think the only people who would have a problem with something along those lines are the ones who specifically go after people who aren't wanting PvP. This way, people would likely be grouped with like minded players.

A tagging system.
When you enter any form of danger (anything that requires the 15 second timer to legally exit the game), a "tag" is placed on your save, which contains some information.

If you illegally combat log, or have a CTD, server error, etc, while in danger, the tag would not be removed.

This tag is then read when loading the game, and using the information it stored, will only allow you to re-enter your previous mode for a limited time.

+1 Cmdr. Great idea ! I hope one of the devs reads this.

So I'm typing it, again. (This is probably why I can never find it, it's not one of my threads... Lol)

A tagging system.

I particularly like this idea, because if you're just going about your business and suffer a server failure or CTD while in danger, you simply reload the game and continue as normal, in your previous mode, which we all do anyway.

But if you're intentionally combat logging in PvP, your only options are to rejoin the same mode, where your opponent may be waiting. Or don't play at all.

No one is ever barred entirely from the game, and accidental disconnects are not punished.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Probably it couldn't keep them in the same instance though, so not entirely foolproof, but probably the best we have.

If a player doesn't "consent" to PvP in the first place, then they shouldn't login to Open.

With respect, .

Nobody will tell me how to play and how not to play and yes, as far as I am concerned, me logging into Open specifically excludes any non-consensual PvP.

Does FD specifically state that logging into Open implies PvP consent? If not then this argument is obviously a moot point.

Last edited:
Never had an issue of someone Clogging on me.
Was accused of it by others though. I had connection issues in side my network where the switch would saturate the connection with noise. I work as a network engineer, and with the tools at my disposal was a pain to diagnose. Even the Switch manufacturer was not sure, and when presented with the evidence compiled from testing software denied it was possible. One new switch later and no issues.
Then Bamm a few weeks later it's starts all over again only this time only when playing games or things like Skype or time conscious connections live video. Check with my ISP who I have a good relationship with due to being a dealer principle for them , showed no issues thier side internal network scans were inconclusive. It could happen several time in an hour or the next day not at all. it was another pc on the network causing it, now sorted.

Add to that the issues I had up to earlier this month with my Rift locking up and causing a disconnect, due to under powered USB connectors. If there was an hour ban I would have quit long ago.

Im all in favour provided situations like mine are not tarred with the same brush.

A tagging system.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

I like :)
Open mode only ,yes?

True, instancing would play a part, but your opponent may just be lurking in supercruise too, so when you jump, they'll likely be there. Lots could happen. Lol
Yeah, but... I didn't mention it deliberately, but anyone actually guilty would then use the contact history to block the opponent, thus reducing the reinstancing chance. FD would need to cover this too, or else force the instance (though this could also be exploited by griefers in wings flooding the instance to prevent the victim's own wingmates providing backup)

With respect, .

Nobody will tell me how to play and how not to play and yes, as far as I am concerned, me logging into Open specifically excludes any non-consensual PvP.

Does FD specifically state that logging into Open implies PvP consent? If not then this argument is obviously a moot point.

No, they say you can run away, hi-wake or do any number of other things to avoid it. You just can't use an ungraceful exit to escape it.

By the way, FDev will in fact tell you how to play with respect to many aspects of the game - that's what you agree to every time you log in. Your sense of entitlement as applied to thinking that you can make the rules just because you bought the game is hugely misplaced. Frankly, I find your attitude to be utterly bizarre.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
Combat logging in Open is as dishonest as infiltrating a PvE PG with the intent of killing other players.

If a player doesn't "consent" to PvP in the first place, then they shouldn't login to Open.

With respect, .

Sorry misuse of words. Let me amend that...

If a player is unwilling to accept the risk of PvP in the first place, then they shouldn't login to Open.

Let me amend that...

If a player is unwilling to accept the risk of PvP in the first place, then they shouldn't login to Open.

Strictly speaking, task-kill isn't confined to Open, nor is it confined to PvP. There are other sources of danger in this game, that exist in every mode.

I personally can say only two things with certainty:

(a) Frontier have been saying since early 2015 (at least) that a task-kill combat log in any mode of play is considered to be cheating;

(b) Frontier have permanently banned player(s) for task-kill combat logging.

So the short answer is that those who log into any mode consent never to use task-kill to save their ships - or acknowledge that they run the risk of being banned.

No, they say you can run away, hi-wake or do any number of other things to avoid it. You just can't use an ungraceful exit to escape it.

By the way, FDev will in fact tell you how to play with respect to many aspects of the game - that's what you agree to every time you log in. Your sense of entitlement as applied to thinking that you can make the rules just because you bought the game is hugely misplaced. Frankly, I find your attitude to be utterly bizarre.

I think we can be a little more gracious about this, CLing is a thing, and cannot be prevented. It can & should be discouraged though.

Deleted member 115407

D
Strictly speaking, task-kill isn't confined to Open, nor is it confined to PvP. There are other sources of danger in this game, that exist in every mode.

I personally can say only two things with certainty:

(a) Frontier have been saying since early 2015 (at least) that a task-kill combat log in any mode of play is considered to be cheating;

(b) Frontier have permanently banned player(s) for task-kill combat logging.

So the short answer is that those who log into any mode consent never to use task-kill to save their ships - or acknowledge that they run the risk of being banned.

Have they actually run permanent bans? I was unaware of that.

You do have a point about modes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 115407

D
Honestly, I think the only people who would have a problem with something along those lines are the ones who specifically go after people who aren't wanting PvP. This way, people would likely be grouped with like minded players.

I would pitch that in addition to the flag, there should be areas (permanent or temporary) wherein the PvE Only flag would be automatically switched off, such as Anarchy systems, CGs, etc.

I'd like to propose a simple 1hr ban from the game following any disconnect, no matter what the reason.

From explorer's point of view: bad idea. Such penalties should to be limited to combat situations and/or Open only.

A tagging system.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Nice idea, but easy to avoid by blocking p2p connections (or simply waiting).

An hour ban for a connection failure would make the game unplayable for people without very stable connections. Not everybody lives in cities or geographically compact European nations.

There's also the technical issue with the fact that a p2p connection between two players can be dropped, intentionally or otherwise. If you go ahead and assume that a lost p2p connection during a PvP fight means whoever was loosing cut it, griefers would inevitably attack people, gain a clear advantage and then cut the connection to trigger an illegitimate reprisal against the victim.

Combat logging is an untreatable symptom of a treatable illness. By all accounts, the overwhelming majority of logging is done by players being attacked by somebody with a far superior ship, and griefers facing players who try to stop them. If you solve the griefing problem, combat logging will naturally fade away.

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Is there though?
The complete post above (snipped for brevity) is the most pertinent one of all in this thread at this moment. If you haven't read it all, do so before moving on. It puts the persepective on Combatlogging where it should be.

For my part, a two-fold solution is needed:
1. The Timer needs to be extended. I'd say atleast 30 seconds, preferably 60.
Even though FDev acknowledges that it is a legitimate way to exit the game, its intention was never to be a "get out of jail free card." At 15 seconds you should not be dead, unless you're flying a shieldless, paper-hull, maxed-for-cargo trader, or are being ganked by the most extreme wings out there. So it is currently a "get out of jail free card" and it is being abused because FDev have stated that it's a legitimate way to exit the game.
If RL happens, well those are the risks we take everytime we sit down in front of our computer to play a game, be it this or any other. A lot of players should stop using that as justification for combatlogging.
If a bug happens and you die because of it, contact FDev Support. They are extremely frivolous with their refund policy, so an actual bug will have no issues passing their lacking litmus test.

2. FDev needs to start using that telemetry they have bragged about before.
If someone is reported once for combatlogging, then as Red Anders stated, it may just be a fluke but that should be logged at FDev.
If it happens twice we're still in the land of coincidences, as Darkfyre99 was talking about, but depending on the amount of time between the two, some red flags should start popping up in the offices of FDev.
The third time someone is reported for combatlogging, FDev should start going through netlogs to look for a pattern.
If the player has an extraordinary amount of disconnects, but they are completely random and rarely when in combat with other players, a friendly mail suggesting that they have a look at their connection and should reconsider playing in Open would be in order.
If a pattern of disconnects mainly, or very often, when in danger can be established, the player receives a not so friendly letter from FDev stating what they have found and that their account will be monitored for the next 3 months.
If during that time the same pattern continues, a timeout (aka Shadowban) for 30 days should be implemented. Following the shadowban the player will be on probation for 6 months.
Any reappearing pattern within those 6 months will lead to a permanent shadowban for that account.

And before you all throw yourselves at the keyboards with all possible explanations for how someone can be falsely accused, or it was legitimate; read the above again. We've passed the realm of chance or coincidence, and entered the realm of "most likely deliberate." Then gone back through this player's logs and found a consistent pattern of the behaviour. We've given them a chance to change that behaviour, and/or contact FDev Support with an explanation after the findings. The pattern has still not changed. That's where we are at. And that's the point where actual sanctions should get implemented.

The onus is on FDev for this though! They have sent out letters similar to the ones I describe above, but there have been an extremely low report-rate of people actually getting shadowbanned. That is not common for an online game if people are actually getting banned. This is also one of the reasons why we are in the 5-for-1 debacle right now, because FDev have never shown the will or effort to do anything about it except talk. There have been little to no substance behind their words of "exiting the game ungracefully is not condoned." That needs to change. Talk the talk, and then make sure you walk the walk as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom